Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romanian PSL

Private

Default Romanian PSL

I sent you guys a couple e-mails, no response, I was wondering if you can order one of these rifles for me, I would much rather support you than order it from out of state.

here is a link

Romanian PSL-54C 7.62x54R Rifle

im pretty sure they are imported by Century.

Thanks.

Black Rifle Specialsts Allstar Tactical's Avatar

Sorry about that John! Century won't send us these, so I'm doing some research to see if we can get them through Classic Arms for you. I'll keep you posted!
    ALLSTAR TACTICAL LLC
    Innovative Firearms Products

FFL Type 01 | FFL Type 07 | Class II SOT
    DUNS: 832966449 | CAGE: 5U7P8
    NRA Business Alliance Member | NSSF Supporting Member

www.allstartactical.com | facebook | twitter | youtube | Instagram

Private

Interesting, I wonder why that is, let me know

Quote Originally Posted by jdlgt90 View Post
    Interesting, I wonder why that is, let me know
    i would love to know why too...i believe the front attachment though is a flash hider not a muzzle brake

and it is threaded not pinned, although that should not matter with the age of the PSL

Private

AIM Surplus has no restrictions on sending them to NY, and they are VERY careful with that. It looks like it should be legal here, no problem.

AIM Surplus has no restrictions on sending them to NY, and they are VERY careful with that. It looks like it should be legal here, no problem.
    yep. it would be nice to know exactly why they will not send it here

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by rjhauser View Post
    i would love to know why too...i believe the front attachment though is a flash hider not a muzzle brake

and it is threaded not pinned, although that should not matter with the age of the PSL
    The PSLs aren't surplus weapons ... they're new builds coming from either the Cugir factory in Romania, or the new "PSL Sporters" that the Century monkeys are building on US-made receivers with PSL parts kits.

Depending on where you get them, they might have the bayo lug still, so you've got bayo lug + threaded barrel = no bueno.

General

Yeah, but couldn't an FFL fix that?

Corporal

Of course the could. My guess is that some woefully-misinformed CAI lawyer just decided that they wouldn't ship them here. Just basically went "derp, assault weapons ban".

General

Well, I hope Allstar can work something out for you. That's a damn nice rifle. Were it $100 cheaper, I'd probably want one as well.

kmussack

Temporaryscars wrote;
    "That's a damn nice rifle."

I sure wish you’d explain to me what makes the PSL a “damn nice rifle”.
    I’ve spent a fare amount of time behind Warsaw Pact weapons and the PSL is not even the pick of an ugly litter. It’s just a large caliber AK designed with terrible ergonomics and manufactured under questionable quality control. Sadly the PSL doesn’t share the AK’s reliability. The PSL is NOT an SVD by any stretch of the imagination.

Below is an AK-47 and a PSL disassembled so you can see the similarity;

Below is an actual Russian SVD disassembled so you can see the difference;

General

Quote Originally Posted by kmussack View Post
    Temporaryscars wrote;
    "That's a damn nice rifle."

I sure wish you’d explain to me what makes the PSL a “damn nice rifle”.
    I’ve spent a fare amount of time behind Warsaw Pact weapons and the PSL is not even the pick of an ugly litter. It’s just a large caliber AK designed with terrible ergonomics and manufactured under questionable quality control. Sadly the PSL doesn’t share the AK’s reliability. The PSL is NOT an SVD by any stretch of the imagination.
    I just like how it looks! Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.

Dont worry TempScar I liked the style too...

General

Not to mention that fact that an SVD will cost six times as much as a PSL. The "oh that's crap you should buy this gun that's $3,000 more expensive" argument doesn't really work here.

Private

As far as I can see you can't touch a Russian SVD for under $1000+++ if you can even find one in the first place.

And what other semi auto large caliber rifle can you get in this price range?

I would love an AR-10 or other .308 variant but those start around $1200 without optics.

i'm talking about complete rifles, not build my own or anything like that.

kmussack

First; I did not advocate purchasing an SVD in lieu of the PSL. I offered the illustration for educational purposes in that many people suffer under the misunderstanding that the PSL and the SDV are “nearly the same”.

Second; if looks or style are your primary criteria for selection of a rifle might I suggest air-soft as a more cost effective alternative.

Third; if you feel compelled to buy a large caliber semiautomatic rifle and are unwilling to spend the amount necessary for a quality piece of kit take a look at the Saiga .308. This rifle isn’t great but it is superior to the PSL in nearly every respect and still retails in the sub $1K range.

As far as being able to afford good gear is concerned it’s really about priorities. (i.e. Quitting smoking for a year yields $2,500.)

General

First; I did not advocate purchasing an SVD in lieu of the PSL. I offered the illustration for educational purposes in that many people suffer under the misunderstanding that the PSL and the SDV are “nearly the same”.

Second; if looks or style are your primary criteria for selection of a rifle might I suggest air-soft as a more cost effective alternative.

Third; if you feel compelled to buy a large caliber semiautomatic rifle and are unwilling to spend the amount necessary for a quality piece of kit take a look at the Saiga .308. This rifle isn’t great but it is superior to the PSL in nearly every respect and still retails in the sub $1K range.

As far as being able to afford good gear is concerned it’s really about priorities. (i.e. Quitting smoking for a year yields $2,500.)
    When did anyone say they were the same? Nobody said that. Since when can't somebody like a rifle just because of how it looks? If the guy wants a cool looking rifle to plink around with at the range, then I'm sure the PSL will serve that purpose just fine.

You're just being a gun snob.

kmussack

Unhappy

Gun Snob?!?!!!
    Oh no! Now you’ve done it!!!
    You’ve hurt my feelings.

General

Well, I probably would be too if I owned an SVD (assuming those pictures were of your guns).

Private

Nobody ever came close to saying they were the same, and I don't intend for it to be the same as an SVD, but as far as reliability goes, i'm sure it will function just fine round after round after round...

When I buy any kind of ak rifle, looks are last on my list, these are not family heirlooms, they are mass produced weapons churned out of soviet factories a rate that we can't even begin to understand during the cold war. ( yes, I know the PSL are new builds...)

My WASR won't win any beauty contests but its a tack driver.
    im not buying a new car or a new shirt, im buying a rifle, and Its not going to be a "safe queen" either.

And I own some "quality gear" My STAG model 2 AR and my Benelli do the job pretty well.
    Last edited by jdlgt90; 03-17-2010 at 03:54 PM.

General

Nobody ever came close to saying they were the same, and I don't intend for it to be the same as an SVD, but as far as reliability goes, i'm sure it will function just fine round after round after round...

When I buy any kind of ak rifle, looks are last on my list, these are not family heirlooms, they are mass produced weapons churned out of soviet factories a rate that we can't even begin to understand during the cold war. ( yes, I know the PSL are new builds...)

My WASR won't win any beauty contests but its a tack driver.
    im not buying a new car or a new shirt, im buying a rifle, and Its not going to be a "safe queen" either.
    I looked up reviews on them, and the vast majority are happy with them. I'd say just get one and have fun.

That is, of course, if you can get your hands on one...

Sergeant

I fall into this category. I always thought they were the same design (never really looked into them). Now I know better, Thanks!

kmussack

FWIW, Pro Gun in Victor has one on the rack.

Private

PSL or SVD?

kmussack

It's a PSL....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast