New York Firearms Forum banner

Calipers

1K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  dusty73 
#1 ·
I currently have a Frankford Arsenal digital caliper and it's a piece of crap. So in the mean time I'm using a cheap dial (analog?) caliper (zeroed by turning the dial face). I'd like to get back to digital, simply for a little more accuracy. Any recommended digital calipers that won't break the bank, but not junk like the FA brand?

TIA

#12 ·
I agree with Frankie. I worked as a machinist/tool maker for almost 40 years and have seen lots of calipers. I have a Mitutoyo digital caliper that I used daily at work for somewhere around 25 or 30 years. Only thing I ever had to do was replace a battery occasionally and it has a low battery warning indicator to let you know when it's time. You're going to get what you pay for. I use standard micrometers in 1, 2, and 3 inch to measure my ammo but I have this stuff as part of my work tools.

#4 ·
Sadly almost all of the digital calipers under $100 appear to have come from the same factory in China. If you do find something decent, please post the source here.

#14 ·
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001AQEZ2W/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2FYHGC4NSM6WF

Somebody did a review on the cheaper ones, and this one came out on top for accuracy. I'm going to give it a try.
I have these and they work fine.

I keep a handful of loads with the lengths sharpie'd on the sides. Anytime i start reloading a batch i test the calipers on those. If something doesnt match up i replace the battery and try again.

I havent had any issues so far

#8 ·
Old eyes means it's easier for me to see a digital display as opposed trying guess down to the thousandths range on the dial caliper.

Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen.

#7 ·
For us older people and less experianced in reading the scales, IMO, digital are the first choice.Matco,Snap on and Napa are all decent and have a very good repair service .I have a Matco digital and a veneer and and both have served me well for 10+ years.Just ask your local auto repair garage if and when Matco or Snap on stop by.By all means stay away from Harbor freight and the Cummins tool sales if your looking for accurate calipers just my personal opinion

#10 ·
#11 ·
Don't ever use cheap electronic calipers. Those $10 harbor freight guys. They don't have a low battery alarm. When battery voltage starts to fade, the actual length measurement will be wrong. And it may only be wrong enough to hurt you.

I reload with Wixley calipers. Been very happy with them. In every decent machine shop in America they use REAL Mitotoyo's (Beware e-bay knock offs).

Amazon.com: Wixey WR100 6-Inch Digital Calipers with Fractions: Home Improvement

http://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-500-196-30-Advanced-Measuring-Resolution/dp/B00IG46NL2/

#20 ·
#15 ·
For those who use lesser calipers without low battery warning,
I found that buying batteries in bulk was the way to go. Change them every time you use it. If you go to the store and buy a couple of them its crazy to pay $7 or $8.
Go on Amazon you could buy strips of up to 50pc. for $15-$20, or what ever quantity you need. I found buying in bulk especially useful in the case of those laser bore sights. Anyone who uses them you know what I'm talking about (generally last for one sight in or so ). No matter if it's for weekend use, or you frequently go on weights and measure benders, Pays to get 50pc's for the price you would get for 4pc's.

#16 ·
For those who use lesser calipers without low battery warning,
I found that buying batteries in bulk was the way to go. Change them every time you use it.
IMO You should Put your money into better calipers at that point. My $40 calipers work great, but I keep a known standard to check them when I reload to be sure I am getting good measurements. Next caliper purchase for reloading is going to be some good dial calipers or a Mitotoyo absolute.

#22 ·
I ordered them from Amazon as they're on special (for 1 week +) for $108 and change. Thanks again for the info.

#23 ·
The Mitutoyo arrived last night. I must say, I'm impressed. I should have bought one right from the start.

Thanks again everyone for posting.

#24 ·
i have 2 pairs of cheap harbor freight ones. they have served me well for 4-5 years now.

as far accuracy goes, the stated range is +/- .0001"

i doubt i'll need the .00001" accuracy that $100+ calipers have, for under 20 bucks they do the job just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.