Close

Default Changed from 100 gram electronic scale.

When I bought my Dillon XL 650 progressive loader The person that was selling them recommended the 100 gram electronic scale for powder measure. I never really felt comfortable making 0.2grain changes with such a large scaled electronic scale. I bought a Dillon Eliminator balance beam scale and the standard check weights. I found that my electronic scale was off between 0.3 to 0.5 grains. I got used to using the balance beam and it is just as fast and a lot more accurate for measuring your powder loads. I know in a 9mm or a 45 ACP it does not make that much difference on how accurate you are but when you are pushing +P loads I wanted them to be right on. The Dillon scale is made by OHAUS and is very accurate along with the test weights. I do not use the electronic scale anymore. I do not find it takes any longer and I feel good knowing the powder measures are right on. I feel it is worth the $90.00 for the weight checks and the Eliminator powder scale. I would recommend this scale to any loader If you are making really tight loads for riffle cartridges this is the tool you need. the max range on the balance beam is 551 grains verses 100 grams. That is a large weight difference.
    Good luck
    Bob
    NRA Member, Genesee Conservation League Member.
    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The cheaper electronic scales are affected by temperature, power conditioning (or lack thereof), Florescent lights, etc. I have a 10+ yr old PACT electronic scale that, if used according to the instructions, works better than any of my beam scales. You need to run the power through something like a battery backup/UPS, be sure to turn it on 15 minutes prior to using it to allow the internal temperature to settle out and Tare it carefully before using it. Unless you're using a scale designed for scientific laboratory use, it will vary depending on many outside factors.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject"

I am sure your electronic scale is great, A 15 minute warm up time seems like a lot. That is what I like about the balance beam, there is no warm up time. I noticed that on the $75.00 electronic one. you can put a load on it and it and it changed over 3 minutes. I used a calibrated wight to see what was happening and the change did not make it more accurate it got worse. I had to re-zero the scale after three minutes.
    The balance beam has the problem of friction but it is minimal when it comes to accuracy. The zero does not shift and the calibration weights work after 20 minutes of use, there is no need to re-zero as long as you do not move it or bump it.

noyj .,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,
    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Captain

Actually, an electronic scale is a load cell. (mass compression) you want a consistant temp and 24 hours is the standard time for temp stabilization when you are talking about presicion measurements.

I don't know if the PACT scale is great, but it works for my purposes. I really only use it for the initial setting of the powder measures on my Dillon. Once set, I rarely ever change them. The only stuff I hand measure is 7mm Br or a one off load for the .45 so all the measuring devices pretty much just sit in the boxes.

You might contact the manufacturer of that scale and ask if this is expected behavior. They stand the risk of a liability lawsuit if their scale allows you to load a very hot load or a squib which leads to another round hitting the squib. Just a thought.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject"

The accuracy of the electronic scale was 0.01 grams. It is not the right tool for the job. That is why I went to the OHAUS, it is a lot better scale because of the maximum range being 511 grains not 100 grams. It does say the balance beam is accurate to 0.1 grain. Using the citified test weights I find that it is right on the money.
    The other scale was not made to measure 0.2 grain powder changes.
    The electronic scale was in its tolerance if you were weighing postage for the mail not powder loads with a start of 6.2 grains to a max of 6.7 grains. This is just a better scale for measuring small powder loads and changes. I am sure there are electronic ones that can measure these loads but they are going to cost over $75.00.

For what it's worth, I switched from a balance scale to an electronic scale. I tested a bunch of charges between the two and find that they both measure every charge the same. The electronic scale is an RCBS that came as part of my chargemaster combo. It says accurate to within .1 grains and I find it to be true to the best of my testing capabilities.

I find the electronic scale a lot faster since I don't have to wait for a beam to stop rocking back and forth.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

My two cents, I never used anything but the beam scale, RCBS. I love it and see no reason to change... As far as time, just set the pan down easy, takes like two seconds...
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    For what it's worth, I switched from a balance scale to an electronic scale. I tested a bunch of charges between the two and find that they both measure every charge the same. The electronic scale is an RCBS that came as part of my chargemaster combo. It says accurate to within .1 grains and I find it to be true to the best of my testing capabilities.

I find the electronic scale a lot faster since I don't have to wait for a beam to stop rocking back and forth.

Bought the same scale a few months back on your recomendation. Don't know how I did without it. Accurate and fast!