Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shipping ammo to upstate NY? Legal?

Exclamation Shipping ammo to upstate NY? Legal?

Can you have ammo shipped to NY state? I was just told a couple of months ago the laws have changed and NY does not allow ammunition shipped into the state. Last year I ordered .223 ammo and it was not a problem. So is this something new I missed?

James

Bob

BS. You can have ammo shipped to Upstate counties by the truckload if you want. Maybe someone was thinking about NYC.
    A golf course is a deliberate and willful misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Lt. Col. David Grossman

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    BS. You can have ammo shipped to Upstate counties by the truckload if you want. Maybe someone was thinking about NYC.
    Well I was told a new law passed a few months ago. I tried to look but I cannot find any new law.

I have had a bunch shipped, no problem (monroe county). However, I did hear of someone about a month ago who lives in the city of Rochester, and they won't ship to him. Not sure what that's about--maybe left over from Project Exile or something?

Nevermind, Gander Mountain policy refuses to sell ammunition to NY state residents. So I asked them how do they get the ammunition to all their stores? He could not answer that question

Quote Originally Posted by Shootingbisq View Post
    I have had a bunch shipped, no problem (monroe county). However, I did hear of someone about a month ago who lives in the city of Rochester, and they won't ship to him. Not sure what that's about--maybe left over from Project Exile or something?
    I think Rochester, Buffalo and NYC you cannot ship ammo to.

I had .45 ACP ammo shipped to me from Cabela's about a month or two ago, no problems. Broome County.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
    Ronald Regan, July 1975

Major

I just had a case of 9mm delivered this week in Orange County, I thought NYC was the only restriction in the state.

Wtf?
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

The funny thing is that I bought ammo online from Gander and they shipped it to my house. This was in January and the guy said on the phone that NY just past a new law in the past couple of months. I was thinking that I did not remember hearing anything about it let alone I did not see it on this site which I know I would have. Anyways I called back and got another guy, come to find out their computers would not allow them to place an order for addresses in NY so I think it is either a new policy that they have or a computer glitch. I shop at Gander because of the deals that I get and usually they are better than anything I ever found online so that is why. Example, they just had a sale on this online: Gander Mountain® > Savage 5 + 1 17HMR w/AccuTrigger/Heavy Stainless Barrel/Gray Laminated Stock - Firearms > Rimfire Rifles > Bolt Action : I could not find anyone cheaper on the net plus I pick it up at the store so no FFL transfer fee.

James

It is definately a Gander policy. I just recieved some ammo this last week and I have more coming next week. Sometimes people in customer service prefer to make up some story rather than just saying that their company won't allow it. I would bet that you could find better deals on ammo if you did a little searching, and other sites have no problem shipping it to NY.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    It is definately a Gander policy. I just recieved some ammo this last week and I have more coming next week. Sometimes people in customer service prefer to make up some story rather than just saying that their company won't allow it. I would bet that you could find better deals on ammo if you did a little searching, and other sites have no problem shipping it to NY.
    Well they offered my 10% off for the ammo because I was buying the rifle. I usually do find better prices online but when you add shipping in, it is not that much better of deal than buying it locally off the shelves sometimes. I have bought ammo from Able's a couple of times and their prices seem to be good, well at times.

James

MDX

ammoman.com shipping is included in the price, he is in NJ so ups ground is almost always next day to NY. No sales tax that I have seen,

sellier and belloit 9mm 115 grain FMJ 1000 rounds $219 to your door. he has some better brands for $249 to your door as well. I got a case of lawman NATO 124g +P from him several months ago. great ammo and the price was cheap enough to plink with it.
    jayk500 likes this.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by MDX View Post
    ammoman.com shipping is included in the price, he is in NJ so ups ground is almost always next day to NY. No sales tax that I have seen,

sellier and belloit 9mm 115 grain FMJ 1000 rounds $219 to your door. he has some better brands for $249 to your door as well. I got a case of lawman NATO 124g +P from him several months ago. great ammo and the price was cheap enough to plink with it.

Don't know if your using the ammo for competition or what but Sportsman's guide with the free shipping had Wolf 9mm 115gr for $170 shipped and they are out of NJ so shipping is quick as well. I use the ammo for plinking/ practice so the cheapest the better

Quote Originally Posted by tinker View Post
    Well I talked to them today and the actual reason was their computers have no way of knowing what areas of NY state is ok to ship and not ok to ship like NYC. So in case some ammo gets shipped to a NYC address, they would not know if it was legal or not so they just will not ship to any NY address. What a bunch of corporate idiots.

James

That's another BS answer. All they have to do is find the ZIP codes that are off limits and then have them in the computer..
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    That's another BS answer. All they have to do is find the ZIP codes that are off limits and then have them in the computer..
    Probably too stupid or too lazy, most likely both. I hate dealing with GM but the deals are hard to beat. I go to my local private dealers and they want too much so that is why I deal with GM. I'm not talking about a few bucks more but $25 or more on certain firearms is a lot. Also what I like is this site, many GREAT deals to be had here.

James

I doubt that I'll be doing much shopping at GM in the future. I stopped into the Johnson City store on Saturday afternoon. Hardly anyone there, the guns are all behind the counter now, the handgun selection is dwindling, reloading equipment is no longer stocked, almost no reloading components, and the staff acts like they just don't care anymore. Very depressing. And the price of .45 ammo was through the roof.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
    Ronald Regan, July 1975

ammoman.com or ammunitiontogo.com are two of my favorites to buy from. Just had some shipped into Westchester last week.

I've also had good luck with sgammo.com and grafs.com.

I never come across any prices at GM that would make me buy from there... but I don't buy ammo mail order anyway.

I agree Gander is a pain in the arse and after the low ball offer they made me last weekend on an excellent condition pistol that I was looking to trade aginst an M&P 40 that they had in stock I'll never spend another dime with them. As far as ammo goes the couple of sites already mentioned are good ones. I also buy from usaammo.com and would recommend them to all. They sell excellent quality new and reman. ammo made by them in the good ol USA and are owned and operated by US vets.

Guess I strayed a little off topic there. Sorry about that. I have had all sorts of ammo shipped to my front door in the last several months without any issues what so ever. Some from CTD, CDNN ammo man and others. None of them ever refused to ship to me. Sounds to me like Gander just doesn't want to be bothered with the effort to check zip codes.

I use CTD, ammoman, USA ammo, gunbroker, and Cabelas
    Ruger SR9c
    S&W 28
    Walther P22
    Glock 22 - Gen 2
    Glock 17 - Gen 4
    Ruger 10/22
    Savage Axis .223 Remington

GSSF member, IDPA member

I've had no problems having Ammo shipped in for pistol and shotgun. Have ordered from several online vendors recently (SGAmmo, USAAmmo, Cheaperthandirt, budsgunshop, etc.), received ammo from all with no issues at whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    But that would require they actually check the law and confirm it's legal which nobody wants to do. They'd rather play it safe and just not deal with NY. A lot of places are like that unfortunately.
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast