Close

Private

Default Reloading for Ruger P90 45 ACP

Hi, I am new to this site and find it very informative. I have been reloading for about 7 yrs but just for my revolvers. My friend has asked me to help in reloading for his new Ruger P90 in 45 ACP. My starting load is 165 gr rn lead and 7.5 grs of HP38 powder. The ammo works well except for intermittent jams on ejection. It seams that the ejection clip is not going all the way in the grove of the casing and causes a slight nick in the base. Both the bullet and casings are from Mid-way Supply who are great people to deal with. It also happens with factory ammo but not as bad. I messured both casings and both are equal in length. We are loading this lite load for our class we will be taking from Rochester Personal Defense next weekend here in Binghamton NY. I hope someone will be able help me with this problem.

Thx Randy

Default Re: Reloading for Ruger P90 45 ACP

Take out the barrel of the Ruger and drop in a loaded cartridge.

It should fall into the chamber and just as easily fall back out. If not the ammo or the chamber may not be up to specs. Caliper the cartridges to see if they are the problem. If not the chamber may be too tight.[img][/img]

Private

Thx for the quick reply ;D. I had messured the casing after I posted and here are my findings. First is from a fired casing. Primer base is 12.18mm, body is 12.14, length is 22.45. Unfired casing, primer base is the same 12.18mm, body 11.94mm, length 22.45. All seams ok with the specs. I also performed dropping in the casing of the fired and unfired and the unfired dropped in and out without any problem. The fired casing had some resistance but came out with my fingernail. I also have attached a pic of the damage casing. Being a new gun do you think it needs to be broke in more before I start worrying to much? This is just werd :-\

Thx!

The spec's you posted seem fine. Both fired and un-fired.

Could be the chamber isn't polished well and grabs the brass too tightly on extraction (at this point the brass is hot and larger than when cool) or the extractor is damaged in some way.

Look at the extractor and see if it appears to be damaged.

Best I can do... Good Luck.
    bosco

Les

While not being able to actually see this gun and watch the malfunction, the problem I would look at would be the extractor needing tuning. If the ammo is all within size specs and the problem is with both factory and reloads, I would look at the gun itself. Ruger's will usually digest anything you throw at them. Here is a link to an article on bullseyepistol that helps explain the extractor problems guns run into. Hope this helps. Being a new gun, it may need to have adjustments made.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com/salyer5.htm
    NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer - NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member
    === Make a fast friend, adopt a retired racing greyhound. ===

Private

Thx to all that replied in helping me figure out the problem! Found out that the gun just did not like the RN bullets. When the casing ejected it was hitting the next bullets edge where the bullet met the casing. Some kinds of factory ammo was doing the same thing. Learned a good lesson.
    Thx Mr Ruger

I use a Lee factory crimp die on all my AUTO rounds. It brings the taper to where it will cycle in any gun I have tried them on.

EDIT: I just dug out my calipers and measured my reloads and 4 different brands of factory .45ACP ammo.

All were below 12.00. Average 11.96..

Your's sound fine. ??
    Could be the angle the feed ramp is presenting the waiting round.

Check out thespecs for the .45 ACP.[img][/img]

Private

I can see using a crimp die would be very helpful. But have just a RCB RN die without crimp. That will have to be the next purchase. Thanks again for all your help!