Close

Default AWB Compliant AR-15 options in NYS

Hello All,

Longtime lurker here.
    My question is rather simple what options are there for AWB Compliant ARs in NYS? I know of these two options:
    1) LMT Compliant CQB MRP

2) BB2522 Rock River Arms DOM2 Elite Operator 2 AWB COMPLIANT

Besides those are there any others to consider? If not which would you choose?

Thanks,

Eric

Sergeant

My first AR was a RRA National match lower w/ A2 stock and 2 stage trigger and a BCM 14.5 middy w/ pinned and welded PWS FCS556 brake. All I had to do was grind off the bayonet lug (5 minute job) and dab a little cold blue on the bare metal. I'm a fan of buying a complete upper and complete lower and pinning them together. That saves you some $$$ as well as allows you some flexibility at making your AR easily AWB complient.

As far as the two AR's you posted about. I LOVE my RRA ATH. It shoots 3/4" groups all day long with Black hills 68gr MHPs. That said, I think the RRA elite operator would be a solid choice.
    Last edited by wnycollector; 05-29-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Oh there are WAY many more options from a lot of manufacturers than just those two.
    EG: if long barrel is what you are after, Colt has a compliant rifle you can get right off the shelf.
    clickme

It's even viable to get a 'non~compliant' delivered from factory to an FFL where they in turn can pin/weld a muzzle brake if present, grind off portions or all of a bayonet lug then refinish it, and pin a collapsable stock if present.
    Just gotta find a reputable FFL that is capable of the work.

Spook down in the site sponsors subsection for some places.
    I believe Allstar Tactical does compliance conversions for example.
    If there's no such thing as trolls, how do you explain all the dead unicorns?

IB, you have options galore.

Many local gun shops sell AR's in an AWB complaint configuration. Variety of manufacturers will vary by shop. One key benefit is you'll get to handle the rifles yourself before buying. For a new shooter with no experience with AR's, this can be a good thing.

Here's the route I've gone in the past. First, start by picking the manufacturer you want. Some offer optional services to add a muzzle brake or remove a bayo lug. Next decide if it's easier to buy the complete rifle or a complete upper and complete lower seperately. The ban features you'll need to address are:

1. The stock. You can buy a rifle or lower with a fixed stock already attached. There are several good ones to choose from, however most "compliant" complete rifles are sold with an A2 stock. You can also elect to go with a pinned/fixed collapsable stock. This method, although commonly used, has become controversial after the Nassau County arrests of several gun shop owners. The advice I've been given on this topic is that if you elect to use a pinned/fixed collapsable stock, use one or more blind pins and epoxy the heck out of the receiver extension and pin.

2. No flash hider. Select a rifle with a crowned barrel of 16" or longer or use a perm attached muzzle brake. Flash hiders are a big no-no. I have used the PWS FSC556 brakes on my uppers primarily because they were approved by BATFE as a non-flash suppressing device. A copy of that letter (linked on the PWS site) resides in my range bag, just in case.

3. No Bayo lug. You can have this shaved off or chose a railed hand guard long enough to where there is no FSB to begin with. Shaving off the bayo lug is a service that many LGS's and manufacturers will perform for a fee, but it's pretty easy to DIY with a dremmel, some cold blue and a little bit of patience.

You'll have to pay a bit more money for a ban compliant rifle in this state, but it's worth it. There's no reason you can't own a top notch AR-15 rifle that meets NY's (stupid) AWB provisions.

The biggest issue to me is simply sorting through all of the Legos in the Lego pile when you're new to the platform. It's a daunting task. Spend some time on sites like ar15 dot com where there is a metric ton of information to consider. Go through the various picture threads here and elsewhere to see what catches your eye and note what's being used. Finally, and most importantly, define how you will use your new rifle. There are significantly different considerations for range use, duty use, HD, 3-gun competition, bench rest match shooting, varmint shooting and hunting.

Oh yeah, and you'll need a good idea of your budget for the rifle itself, ammo and training.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Basically I am not too worried about a budget, but I would like to keep things in the $1500 range. As I don't see the benefit/price ratio being that significant about that price point. Then again I may be wrong.

My main use for this weapon is for home defense. Some of the makes I am attracted to are in no particular order, LMT, BCM, Colt, RRA, and Daniels Defense.

I like a balanced weapon, and don't care for the barrel heavy configurations that are out there. Something with a flat top and rails so I can mount:
    Mako Group Vertical Foregrip & Bipod w/ Integral Tactical Light FREE S&H T-PodSL (B), T-PodSL (OD), T-PodSL (T). Mako Group Weapon Accessories.
    and
    Burris XTR-14 With Fastfire II Gen2 - 201905

The flashlight I can see, the grip would be 50/50 depending on skill/training/familiarity, but do you really need a bipod for home defense?
    Presuming being in the house, small, short, light and not a lot of stuff hanging off to catch on curtains, loaded coat racks, etc.
    If there's no such thing as trolls, how do you explain all the dead unicorns?

Major

magpul RVG = best low profile grip IMO

Great observation Tifosi. While my main intent is for HD, I have friends with 12 acres that will allow me to do some decent distant shooting as well as woodchuck population control. So that particular grip/bipod would serve multiple roles.

Why add weight that you won't use for your primary purpose? I can promise that you will come to appreciate a lighter weapon.

It's tough to setup a rifle in one configuration that will excel at the two intended uses you have mentioned. A red dot optic is the proven choice for HD...a magnified optic is the choice for hunting. A weapon light of some kind is essential on a HD rifle. VFG's are more of a personal preference item.

The MOE RVG mentioned above is rock solid, inexpensive and weighs next to nothing. If you use a VFG as a reference point for your hand, this is a great choice. If you use a "beer can" full handed grip, you'll need something longer. Consider something like a Surefire X300 for a weapon light. It gives a very bright beam for HD, weighs very little and is built to last. An inexpensive solution would be a G2 LED in a VTAC mount. If you must have a bipod, consider something with QD so that you can dismount it when you're not hunting those dang woodchucks.

You may also want to consider using two different optics. You could use a H-1 in a LaRue mount for your primary. This would give you a quality RDS and LaRue's return to zero ability when you remount the optic. When you go hunting, use an inexpensive 3-9x scope also in a QD mount. This will give you better magnification out hunting.