Close

Default Crowned AR Barrel Question

I ordered a crowned barrel AR upper. The entire rifle is put together and ready to go. But it looks naked without a muzzle break or flash hider on the end. Is it ok to shoot it without a flash hider or muzzle break?
    Even if it is if I wanted to put a flash hider or break on the end I want to stay within the laws of NY State. Would it need to be welded in place? I was looking at ordering this and having it welded on:

Flash Hider - A2 Compensator : Parts4ar15

What do you think? Also looking to stay as cost effective as possible. Thanks for you help.
    NYS Unrestricted | PA LTCF | FL CWFL | NRA Member
    Reading, Doing And Learning

JVG

Well unless its a preban lower it cant be a flash hider. They make some threaded caps. I'm not positive but I do believe to be within the laws if the barrel is thread you would have to have a muzzle brake or thread cap permenantly attached to the barrel.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria

Does the barrel have threads on it? If so and the current muzzle device (md) is not pinned and welded then having the rifle assembled makes it an assault weapon.

Rule of thumb (or finger in this case) is that if you can put your pinky finger into the md then it is considered a flash hider, if not then it is considered a break.

The link you list appears to be a flash hider which on a pre ban lower is fine, on a post pan lower is a no no.

There is a lot of good info in this thread about the NYS AWB if you want some leasure reading. http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/3295-new-york-state-assault-weapon-ban-faq-part-1-rifles.html

I
    f you have any questions please feel to PM me.

Steve
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

The barrel does not have any threads on it. OK so flash hider a no go. What should I put on the end that isnt a arm & a leg or can\should I leave it as it with just the crowned barrel and nothing else?

JVG

if its not threaded then nothing unless it is threaded. All barrels are crowned, either deep, flat or angled, etc. U cant put any muzzle devices on with out it being threaded i havent seen or heard of clamp-on devices for ar's like that. just shoot and enjoy.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson, quoting Cesare Beccaria

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JVGMotorsports View Post
    if its not threaded then nothing unless it is threaded. All barrels are crowned, either deep, flat or angled, etc. U cant put any muzzle devices on with out it being threaded i havent seen or heard of clamp-on devices for ar's like that. just shoot and enjoy.

Small additional infobit:
    An 11 degree target crown is considered to be right around optimal for accuracy.
    If you have that angle crown on your barrel and put any sort of muzzle device on, it'll screw up the gains that the crown alone would offer.

Now if your barrel isn't crowned to that angle, a device may or may not have an effect, but chances are fair that it will as a device effects the way the residual pressure is released from the muzzle. (as noted above, all barrels are crowned to some degree or another regardless. just a matter if its deliberately for accuracy or to make a clean end that a device will cover up)

Granted we're talking way tiny amounts of effect, but if you ever want to try long range and/or super accuracy shooting, a device will be much more a hinderance than a help.

Clamp on devices are just that: clamp on.
    I've seen 3 such devices on 3 different friends rifles (they were tyrying to comply with the NYSAWB BS) and all 3 ended up being 'shot off' the muzzle after X amount of time.
    Net result was the devices were outright lost or destroyed, and the last inch or two of the barrels they blew off of were scarred up pretty good when the set screws ripped lengthwise down them as said device blew off.
    You can accomplish the same thing for free by just grabbing the end of your barrel with vice grips and then driving them off the end of the barrel with a hammer.

Thread and weld, precision machine fit and weld, or avoid all together.
    If there's no such thing as trolls, how do you explain all the dead unicorns?

LDD
    Captain

There was a "cosmetic fix" available during the ban, but I'm not sure who makes it or if anyone is still doing it. If no one makes it now, I'm sure it could be easily machined.

What it was, was an A2 flash hider that was completely reamed out from the inside except for a small inside lip at the muzzle end. The lip prevented the muzzle from slipping completely through the fake hider and indexed against the outer crown of the barrel. You slipped the flash hider over the barrel (like a muzzle cap) and attached it there. The flash hider sleeved onto the barrel so that the hider ports were completely masked from the inside, by the barrel itself. From far away, it looked like an A2 flash hider on the end of the barrel, but up close you could tell that it could function as neither brake nor hider.

This gave the gun an A2 look, but without having ban issues, but also preserved the 11 degree crown which was conducive to accuracy.
    Last edited by LDD; 10-09-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

There is no reason not to like a crowned barrel -- unless you plan to shoot prone, in which case a muzzle brake that directs gasses up and/or to the side will kick up less dust than a plain barrel. If prone is unlikely or infrequent, you are good to go.
    Clyde Washburn
    NRA Certified Pistol & Shotgun Instructror, NRA Life Member, NY State Rifle & Pistol Association Life Member, SAF Life Member, CCRKBA Life Member, Gun Owners of America Life Member, SCOPE Member, GCL Member

Super Moderator evileyeswatchin's Avatar

What diameter barrel did you order?
    My mind is the weapon, everything else is merely an accessory.

. . .|====|
    *n/______\n*
    =(OxxxxO)=

If you are looking for a different barrel with threads we have them in stock along with a ton of muzzle devices. We can either ship the barrel and comp to you or you can send us the upper and we can swap it out and weld it if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@AllstarTactical View Post
    If you are looking for a different barrel with threads we have them in stock along with a ton of muzzle devices. We can either ship the barrel and comp to you or you can send us the upper and we can swap it out and weld it if you are interested.
    I will keep that in mind. You got a web site?

Quote Originally Posted by kflo01 View Post
    I will keep that in mind. You got a web site?
    allstartactical.com which is set to launch in November of this year or you can reach us on Facebook. Mike, Justin and myself keep an eye out here as well so PM us if you have any questions. I can also be reached at stephen@allstartactical.com

You gotta get some picks of the rifle up here!

Pics!!! Here they go.
    Attachment 4309Attachment 4310

Super Moderator evileyeswatchin's Avatar
    Last edited by evileyeswatchin; 10-11-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    My mind is the weapon, everything else is merely an accessory.

. . .|====|
    *n/______\n*
    =(OxxxxO)=

There is a shop in buffalo that can thread and re-crown your current barrel if you find that you need it. As stated previously a target crown will tend to be more accurate. Unless you NEED a brake for some kind of shooting sport I would just leave the upper as is.
    Everything posted by this user is the opinion of said user and nothing more.
    "I am not planning on slowing down, I am just going to learn to shoot better." - Ben Stoeger
    Guess what, you've been tread on. Now what the hell are you going to do about it?

Private

Look at it this way- aren't most hunting rifle barrels crowned? If it bothers you that much, buy one of these: FSC556 - PWS Muzzle Devices - PWS and send the upper here to be threaded and have the comp permanently attached: Adco Firearms LLC AR-15, M16, M4 Carbine Gear, Parts, Accessories. . They installed my Battlecimp and did a FANTASTIC job in a short turn around time!

Private

I have an FSC 556 pinned on an M16A4 clone, it's definitely the best ban compliant device I have personally tested. Everyone has different wants and needs but in my opinion if you are doing it solely for cosmetic reasons you may end up very disappointed. I would recommend trying out a particular device on someone else's rifle before you spend the money on the device, the shipping of the upper, paying to attach the device permanently then return shipping.

Speaking from my personal experience, I had a couple rifles with the FSC556 permanently attached by allstar tactical and they did a great job. After evaluation and testing I sold one rifle and the other is unused, unfired and is for sale. Unless you are shooting in an upright position hosing down targets a-la USPSA style I am of the opinion that the negatives of most brakes and comps outweigh their benefits.Try shooting roll-over prone under a vehicle at a target and you'll see what I am talking about. With that being said if all you do is plink in your back yard then a brake actually makes for a better experience for the shooter. As for me- all my AR-15s and new purchases will all sport target crowns. Morale of the story - try before you buy.

My 2 cents,
    -Mike
    Last edited by fuller57; 10-21-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Private

Pics of an m16A4 clone with the FSC556 attached
    DSCN0193.jpgDSCN0197.jpgDSCN0198.jpgDSCN0200.jpg
    Last edited by fuller57; 10-21-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: restructure picture layout