• 1 Post By JW1069
  • 1 Post By gizmo
  • 2 Post By JW1069
  • 2 Post By meketrefe
  • 1 Post By SuperBowser707

Thread: Lower Receiver Question

Private

Default Lower Receiver Question

I recently purchased an upper receiver online. So i need to get the lower a friend of mine told me i would need a pistol permit to buy the lower. Is this true, i rarely have free time due to work and school so when im free the gun stores are usually closed to ask my dealer. So what im asking is if i need a permit to buy the lower or not, cause im 19 so i dont have one.
    Thanks
    Tom

You don't need a pistol permit for an AR lower as its a long gun.
    Just a place to purchase one and an FFL dealer to transfer it through,
    most of the time you can do those two steps in one stop.
    Plausible to do a private transaction too if you know someone who has one they want to sell.

Lotta dealers and a few private sellers have assembled lowers on hand ready to go.
    (check down in the for sale subsection of the forum. There may even be one or two there now)

If you're not after the particular brand someone is working with, then arrangements would need to be made to obtain the brand you desire, but that is just a question of a freindly FFL and fee or a lot of hunting around for a private seller.
    (FFL provides licence information to X supplier, X supplier sends receiver to FFL, you go to FFL and pay the fee, fill out a form like you would for any long gun retail purchase, and take your receiver home)

Now just to get it out there, if you've somehow gotten hold of a AR pistol upper, you're going to need more than a permit to obtain a lower complete it as they are illegal here.
    (unless of course one obtains a pre~ban registered pistol lower and you have a permit to put it on)
    Last edited by Tifosi; 12-03-2011 at 04:07 PM.
    If there's no such thing as trolls, how do you explain all the dead unicorns?

You do not need a pistol permit to purchase an AR lower. You just need to pass a NICS background check in order to take possession of it. Also, the dealer may insist that the lower have a fixed stock or a collapsable stock that is pinned in place prior to taking possession of your lower. May sure you have a full grasp of NY's AWB provisions.
    Tifosi likes this.

Good point on the stock.
    I was going under the presumption of a stripped receiver for the most part and the back of the mind thought that an assembled one would already be compliant, which is not neccisarily so regardless of the source its coming from.
    If there's no such thing as trolls, how do you explain all the dead unicorns?

Isn't there some restriction on a stripped lower? I seem to recall previous conversation that you have to be 21 something.

you have to be 21 to buy a stripped lower. the batfe sees a stripped lower as "any other firearm" because it can be built into a pistol/rifle/sbr ect. no pistol permit is needed but the individual must be at least 21 and pass a nics check. however, if said lower is a complete lower, ( having stock and lower parts kit installed) it is then considerd a rifle.

its kind of rediculos i know but they make the rules.
    god didnt make all men equal, mr colt did

Private

Thanks yea i was planning on just buying a complete lower with the fixed stock not a big fan of collapsible ones they seem a little cheap to me

Private

Well went to my dealer today they had one. After some time filled out the paper work and the dealer said it was any any other weapon. So I was denied due to my age.

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner usmcveteran's Avatar

Why were you denied because of your age?

Quote Originally Posted by usmcveteran View Post
    Why were you denied because of your age?
    BATFE sees a lower as an "other" and requires you to be 21 to purchase them. You can buy a complete rifle at 18 but not a lower until you are 21.
    "Honor is due to those who went simply because they did."

RIT 2012

"If you survive that and continue, you will quickly experience rapid ventilation of your cranial vault with a 1-ounce slug." ~ Bob

So couldnt he go in there with his upper and tell the dealer he wants him to "finish" building his rifle and buy it that way?

Private

i didnt ask that cause i was ticked, but im just gunna go with my dad to buy it

Good luck, i know it sucks to have to make another trip.

Private

It sucks being under 21 and being a gun owner in NY haha

Not to be a D*** but having your Dad buy it because you can't sounds like a straw purchase which is a big NO NO
    DannyDifalco likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    Not to be a D*** but having your Dad buy it because you can't sounds like a straw purchase which is a big NO NO
    Not being a d*ck at all because that's exactly what it would be.

Black Rifle Specialsts Allstar Tactical's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBowser707 View Post
    It sucks being under 21 and being a gun owner in NY haha
    21 to buy a lower has nothing to do with NY, that is a federal law, and as the others said, by going back with your father, it would be a straw purchase, and the gun shop should refuse to sell it to you anyways.
    ALLSTAR TACTICAL LLC
    Innovative Firearms Products

FFL Type 01 | FFL Type 07 | Class II SOT
    DUNS: 832966449 | CAGE: 5U7P8
    NRA Business Alliance Member | NSSF Supporting Member

www.allstartactical.com | facebook | twitter | youtube | Instagram

is there an issue with the dealer putting it together for him? Thought I remember something about that being the manufacturing of a firearm and has different rules.

General

To all the people with age between 18 - 20years, 23hrs and 59minutes old...

Uncle Sam can send you to fight in Afganistan. Even might be hurt or killed in those God's forsaken lands but you cannot have a beer or order a lower when you come back home?
    How does it make you feel after you risk your life for your country? Are you not responsible enough to have a drink or build a nice hunting AR
    but in the tip of your finger at the gunner's turret you have to decide in an instant between who needs to live or die?
    Is that a less of a priority in the many and huge changes and challenges a rookie soldier needs to amass in those young still minds?

It doesn't make a lot of sense, does it?

Ironies of life.
    DannyDifalco and haystack677 like this.

Private

i know about that being a federal law but i mean how are state has all these other gun laws

General

A state law cannot overwrite a federal law only enhance it.
    Anyway we have all these laws because the people as a whole we are stupid and allow it. We worry more about the basketball game or the celebrity show on TV than anything the politicians are doing right under our noses.
    In any case is not the end of the world. Just team up with a family member or friend/mentor that can do it legally and go shooting with them. Some people find a nice family experience for the weekend.

Private

For anyone else with this issue. On the last page of the paperwork when you buy a firearm. It can be gifted to you which is what my father did for me. He bought me it as a Christmas present. The dealer we bought it from showed it to us the day we picked it up. Sorry to bring this dead thread back just wanted to give those who have the same issue an answer
    haystack677 likes this.

Major

Father buying for a son isn't a straw purchase. Some of you guys have been so NY ingrained that you think EVERYTHING is illegal.
    At age 21, I did two things: Stopped wearing underwear and started carrying a gun. The combination has enabled me to remain calm in even the most stressful of situations.

We need to put more tin foil in our hats to cut down the amount of rhetoric infiltrating our minds.
    And Judging by the election, tin foil was in short supply. We don't need that pesky constitution.
    King O' knows whats best for us.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBowser707 View Post
    For anyone else with this issue. On the last page of the paperwork when you buy a firearm. It can be gifted to you which is what my father did for me. He bought me it as a Christmas present. The dealer we bought it from showed it to us the day we picked it up. Sorry to bring this dead thread back just wanted to give those who have the same issue an answer
    Nice that you got your gun together. I just helped my 19 year old son build his first AR from parts.
    Manus haec inimica tyrannis
    The sheepdog does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.