Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Advice on NY Legal AR-15

Private

Default Advice on NY Legal AR-15

Hi all,

Im a bit of a newbie so please bear with me as I figure things out!

I live in Westchester, so I am m considering getting an NY legal AR-15. Any advice as to what kind of brand is best and reliable online vendors? I was reading about the Bushmaster brand but would love to get any opinions.

Also, Im looking into which range I can shoot it at near White Plains. Do most ranges accomodate this kind of rifle? Also, is it common to find people with AR-15's at the range, or is it a bit over the top?

Finally, is it possible to get pre-ban magazines somewhere?

Thanks!

Major

i have a bushmaster mx-15 and love the rifle. it has a chrome lines barrel that wipes clean with just a bore snake and alrdy comes NY compliant with a pinned stock and pinned break. as for mags DO NOT BUY PREBANS FROM YOUR LOCAL SHOPS. if you shop on the forums you can get pre ban dated mags for $20 non dated for $15 and no dates for 10-15 ish depending on brand for 30's. i only use 20's and they can be had for anywhere from 10-20$ depending on make and rarity. also i have put about 2000 rounds through my bushmaster and have only did a full strip clean every 1000 rounds iv never had a jam and i only shoot brass cases.

Private

Thanks for your take on the bushmaster. Any thoughts on the Stag?

As for getting the mags on the forum, how big of a factor is age and condition on longevity and peformance? Or are the mags generally good to go for decades?

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by llink78 View Post
    i have a bushmaster mx-15 and love the rifle. it has a chrome lines barrel that wipes clean with just a bore snake and alrdy comes NY compliant with a pinned stock and pinned break. as for mags DO NOT BUY PREBANS FROM YOUR LOCAL SHOPS. if you shop on the forums you can get pre ban dated mags for $20 non dated for $15 and no dates for 10-15 ish depending on brand for 30's. i only use 20's and they can be had for anywhere from 10-20$ depending on make and rarity. also i have put about 2000 rounds through my bushmaster and have only did a full strip clean every 1000 rounds iv never had a jam and i only shoot brass cases.

I have a smith and wesson m&p-15 I love it. Except for missing the forward assist and dust cover which aren't really necessary. It's not badly priced either and as with everything else in this state it comes compliant

Ya know llink78 I tried buying prebans from a certain gun center in buffalo and the guy was a total Dick and basically said he wouldn't sell them to someone who didn't have a preban firearm

Major

Quote Originally Posted by dmerriman84 View Post
    Ya know llink78 I tried buying prebans from a certain gun center in buffalo and the guy was a total Dick and basically said he wouldn't sell them to someone who didn't have a preban firearm
    i hate hearing that. pre ban mags and pre ban rifles are 2 different things. this is why in NY pre ban mags are such a big deal. and as far as age with the mags you can always replace the springs and fowlers with anti tilt ones. but all my colt 20 rounds have Org springs and fowlers from the 70-80's

Major

o and i hear good things are Stag arms, i have never owned one but i have not ever heard anything bad. just stick with the big names and you won't have any problems... also make sure you get a flat top upper, fixed carry handles SUCK.. ask me how i know lol . also make sure the barrel is rated for 5.56. a .223 barrel can not shoot 5.56 but a .556 can shoot both .223/5.56
    Last edited by llink78; 04-10-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by dmerriman84 View Post
    I will never give business to that place, i had same thing happen when i called. Very rude on the phone like i was a bother asking mag questions.

Major

Is there an AR15 Brand out there that is not good? I haven't heard of any brand in particular being BAD. The major differences besides how the receivers are actually made, are if they are commercial or milspec. Find something in your budget and grab one. They are fully customizable. I would recommend a Mil spec rifle with a flat top upper receiver. Also, as stated above, if you want to get 30rnd mags for it, buy them off of the forums here, don't waste your time searching the internet, they will only be move expensive.

Major

iv come across some questionable brands. forgot what it was buy by buddy bought a 600ish ar somewhere and it felt cheaply made. there were gaps in between the upper and lower, the break was pinned pretty bad. and the butt stock meted around pretty good in the tube like it was to large. i also use to own a moss berg ar .22, was fun to shoot. then i sold it for like 300 to pick up a dedicated upper for my bushmaster.

BANNED

$600 seems to be the ragged lower edge of an assembled AR, wait a couple more months and save up a couple hundred more and get a quality rifle in the $8-900 range. You won't regret it.

Stag and M&P are both very nice out of the box rifles.

Private

Never had a problem with a Delton-inc (600 dollar range). Fed reliably and was accurate (with brass and steel). Never had a problem with them. It's really easy to turn you 600 dollar gun into a 1200 dollar gun with all of the accessories you can throw on. A lot of these so called "cheap" AR's have been (and still do) build the parts for "quality" ar's. So alot of these so called quality ar's are the same thing as their cheaper counterparts just stamped different (insert brand here).

Don't get too caught up in brands, and especially do not beleive anything you read on an Internet forum that is sponsored by certain AR brands. Ive read totally made up, flat out lies on sites like that because the brand fanboys don't want their sponsors to cry.

I've had nothing but good times with my Bushmaster.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Diver. Dives- ​58. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    Don't get too caught up in brands, and especially do not beleive anything you read on an Internet forum that is sponsored by certain AR brands. Ive read totally made up, flat out lies on sites like that because the brand fanboys don't want their sponsors to cry.

I've had nothing but good times with my Bushmaster.
    same here love my bushmaster. i bought mine used with 3 pre ban 30's and a 10 round mag, with a carry handle rail 200 rounds of .223 and the hard case for 800. deals are out there everyday if you don't want to buy new. guy had only put 300 rounds through it when i got it

Captain

The Windham Weaponry (Windham, ME) ARs are made in the same shop by some of the same people who used to make the Bushmasters there. Do you think they are of the same quality as the old Bushmasters?

The one I fondled recently didn't look to be of any better quality than a current model Bushmaster.

Little things like what appeared to be pretty low quality FCG, rear sight elevation wheel out of calibration (it locked up hard at 6/3 instead of having the extra couple clicks its supposed to), poop staking on the gas key, buffer spring sounding like a bag of rocksalt sand and **** when cycled along with some other naggly stuff that caused me to believe it didn't warrant the price being asked. ($900 in this case)

Now do take into consideration that this was a sample size of one, and perhaps I'm a bit more critical than others may be.

It did have a somewhat intersting muzzle device though.
    Nothing super, but different.
    If there's no such thing as trolls, how do you explain all the dead unicorns?

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    The one I fondled recently didn't look to be of any better quality than a current model Bushmaster.

Little things like what appeared to be pretty low quality FCG, rear sight elevation wheel out of calibration (it locked up hard at 6/3 instead of having the extra couple clicks its supposed to), poop staking on the gas key, buffer spring sounding like a bag of rocksalt sand and **** when cycled along with some other naggly stuff that caused me to believe it didn't warrant the price being asked. ($900 in this case)

Now do take into consideration that this was a sample size of one, and perhaps I'm a bit more critical than others may be.

It did have a somewhat intersting muzzle device though.
    Nothing super, but different.
    Thanks, One thing that might make me pull the trigger on this gun is the Lifetime transferable warranty
    use of ammunition other than NATO and/or SAAMI specification new production ammunition; use of any hand loaded, reloaded, imported or factory re-manufactured ammunition
    Reloads and imports null and void the warranty. what kind of BS it that and how would they prove you use reloads or imported ammo!

I would just advise that you make sure you get m4 feed ramps and check the bolt carrier to make sure it's not a chopped down version. I have a stag and the fit and finish is awesome. there's no play between upper and lower and they use a medium bolt carrier. Not full blown m16 carrier but not the chopped carrier either. Good Luck
    Beans, Bullets and Band-aids, Get em!

Do you mean a semi carrier with just a small loop at the end, or are you reffering to a shrouded or unshrouded firing pin?

The one i touched had a semi carrier with shrouded pin.

M4 ramps are nice, but serve practically no purpose if you aren't firing in a fully automatic or burst mode.
    If there's feed issues when firing semi the odds are stacked significanty more in favor of it being a mag issue not a ramp issue.

The only reason I might shy away from a new gun without them is more because its pretty well standard now, not neccesity, and if someone couldn't be bothered doing a standard op on the receiver then who knows what else they may have half assed.

Ive built 6 Del Ton AR kits now, and I love them. Never had an issue with with anyone of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
    Do you mean a semi carrier with just a small loop at the end, or are you reffering to a shrouded or unshrouded firing pin?

The one i touched had a semi carrier with shrouded pin.

M4 ramps are nice, but serve practically no purpose if you aren't firing in a fully automatic or burst mode.
    If there's feed issues when firing semi the odds are stacked significanty more in favor of it being a mag issue not a ramp issue.

The only reason I might shy away from a new gun without them is more because its pretty well standard now, not neccesity, and if someone couldn't be bothered doing a standard op on the receiver then who knows what else they may have half assed.
    Yeah shrouded firing pin and some carriers are actually cut all the way to the end for the hammer slot. There are vids on comparisons but I wouldn't build one or buy an ar without a god carrier. Which would be an m16 carrier or at least one that has no less than half the meat of the m16 on the end. Some carriers are real thin at the buffer end. The solid round portion that hits the buffer.

Some people like to bump fire. M4 feed ramps prob help with that. Other than that, until the SHTF we can keep firing semi auto. But when it does you may be screwed without the m4s. Not me.

mpfellow likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mpfellow View Post
    But when it does you may be screwed without the m4s.
    I know, I mean its not like the rifle design goes back 5 decades, hasn't been through a few wars, and probably never fired full auto more than one time.
    In fact there couldn't be any carbines (not M4) that are still in service and working just fine without special ramps.

The M4 itself is what goofed things to the point of needing to incorporate special ramps.
    14"bbl on carbine gas does some pretty radical things to carrier speed and whatnot.
    Doesn't help that they want them all tu run the same buffer, yet an H or H2 will greatly improve function when compared to the stanard issue carbine buffer.

If you do end up with a (M4) rampless arrangement it only takes abouy 1.3 seconds to put them in with a dremel, or 30 seconds to do it by hand with a jewlers file.
    Last edited by Tifosi; 04-14-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks Tifosi, you know what they say 1000 words and all. My STAG came with the ar15 enhanced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast