Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cgrutt
  • 2 Post By Trekmtbr89
  • 1 Post By KBurdo

Thread: Is this AR 15 NY compliant? See photo

Private

Default Is this AR 15 NY compliant? See photo

I just purchased my first AR 15 (M&P 15 with EO Tech) from Gander..
    I have a question In regards to the do's and don'ts (NY State law's) of options and accessories. The reps at the store all stated that you can not have a pre ban 30 round clip in a post ban AR. Thanks to this site I now see that this is not the case, post bans are legal so I just bought some pre ban colt clips from kyimports. (I think I will keep a copy of the NY law on hand while at the range with the AR, from what I see in postings not all law inforcement are aware of this)

While I was in the store they had a configured Ruger AR 15 (See photo). The Ruger AR has a fwd Hand Grip/ Flash light combo. My question is this a NY compliant configuration??? The store states it is, but according the NY "Evil Feature" I am not so sure:

Evil features are parts of the rifle that by themselves are legal but in any combination of 2 classify the firearm as an assault weapon unless it was manufactured prior to Sept 13th 1994. This only applies to semi-automatic rifles with a detachable magazine.
    (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
    ******* (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon************************
    (iii) a bayonet mount;
    (iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a
    flash suppressor; (this does not apply to permanently attached muzzle devices as described above)
    (v) a grenade launcher;

Since our AR15 already has a pistol grip, any one of these items in addition would classify it as an assault weapon making it illegal in New York State.

Magazines that have a capacity of more than 10 rounds are not legal in New York unless manufactured prior to Sept 13th 1994. This is a slippery area because most magazines manufactured prior to the assault weapons ban were not date stamped.

Based on the store configuration here is my question. Being that the Ruger AR has a hand/ pistol grip, is the fwd pistol/flash light grip combo NY compliant? (See photo)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am not sure about that one in the picture, I just purchase a Smith & Wesson MP 15 and a bunch of extra I added to my gun at Gander Mountain in Plattsburgh,NY and it is totally legal and compliant with NY laws,You can see mine in this post here..

The telescoping stock isnt legal it would need to be pinned. Is there a muzzle break or flash hider on it? Also is there a bayonet lug? The foregrip is perfectly legal
    Last edited by G-Khan71; 12-01-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Khan71 View Post
    The telescoping stock isnt legal it would need to be pinned. Is there a muzzle break or flash hider on it?
    I am not sure about the one he posted from his Gander Mountain where he lives,I do know the Gander Mountain where I live and bought my gun all there stocks where Pinned and fixed stocks along with there muzzle breaks being also being fixed..It is also hard to tell from the picture since there price tag is in the way on what it has for a muzzle break or flash hider..

The foregrips are fine, Just stocks must be fixed and breaks must be welded and no bayonet attachment on any post bans.

Not sure of your concern. Is it the foregrip? This is not a second "pistol grip" for AWB compliance. The statute is referring to the grip that is used to operate the trigger. Assuming stock is pinned (not collapsable), no bayo lug or grenade launcher and the barrel is not threaded (or if it is, a permanently attached brake must be attached such that no threads are exposed), it should be good to go.
    DragonFyre likes this.

Private

First TY for the prompt replys. Yes my concern is the foregrip for AWB compliance and there is a permanent muzzle break. And the stock is not adjustable and is pinned.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrutt View Post
    Not sure of your concern. Is it the foregrip? This is not a second "pistol grip" for AWB compliance. The statute is referring to the grip that is used to operate the trigger. Assuming stock is pinned (not collapsable), no bayo lug or grenade launcher and the barrel is not threaded (or if it is, a permanently attached brake must be attached such that no threads are exposed), it should be good to go.
    Exactly what cgrutt said.
    NRA and SCOPE Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    01 FFL

BANNED

Nice gun,I really like the Ruger SR556's!!!Your items your concerned about look legal to me....

Muzzle break is permanent, Stock is pinned, No bayonet lug, No grenade launcher. Looks perfectly legal to me then. The foregrip has nothing to do with AWB compliance. It's nowhere near being under the action of the rifle. Nice setup.
    Any guy who is anti-gun needs to have his "Man Card" pulled.

Remember, in any polite society, the ones with the guns make the laws. Now you know why the Liberals are the ones trying to disarm the citizens.

Logan, Utah. (Moving my business out of NY)

Hi,
    It seems to me that, other than being overpriced, and like others said, I am 99.9% sure that gun is legal as it is for sale in the state of NY.
    From a picture it will be impossible to determine if the telescopic T6 stock is pinned and the muzzle device is pinned (if it has one) but other than that you are good. The preban magazines can go anywhere you want according to state law.
    Don't argue at those places, many are high-school kids or people with part-time jobs. Asking for firearms advice at Gander or Dicks is like asking
    the plumber for heart surgery tips.
    If you want good advice go to a local professional store run by professionals.
    The Ruger piston is a nice solid AR but like I said that one on the pic is overpriced, waiting for a lost soul to take the 'package' bait.
    Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke

Logan, Utah. (Moving my business out of NY)

NYS legal muzzle "break". lol ....
    Last edited by meketrefe; 12-01-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke

Major
    BigDave and Camper4lyfe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekmtbr89 View Post
    Beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by meketrefe View Post
    NYS legal muzzle "break". lol ....

Same one I have for my wife.
    BigDave likes this.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
    --George Patton-