Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: lower receiver ?

  1. #1
    Private
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    L.I
    Posts
    18

    Default lower receiver ?

    Guys wondering if someone can clear this up for me i have stripped lower on order
    is it still legal to receive this ?? or is it done

  2. #2
    Corporal Thejmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    124

    Default

    I'm in the same boat.. My interpretation is that a lower has no features so is not considered an assault weapon

  3. #3
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Williamson
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Correct. You will probably have to finish assembling and registering it before the year is up to avoid constructive intent laws. Even if it isn't done, registering it with the future caliber will probably be fine. I wouldn't expect them to actually inspect them.
    superx2 likes this.
    NRA - EPL
    SAF
    GOA
    NYSRPA
    SCOPE

  4. #4
    Private
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    L.I
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goros View Post
    Correct. You will probably have to finish assembling and registering it before the year is up to avoid constructive intent laws. Even if it isn't done, registering it with the future caliber will probably be fine. I wouldn't expect them to actually inspect them.

    hope this is right ( fingers crossed )

  5. #5
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Williamson
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Me too.
    NRA - EPL
    SAF
    GOA
    NYSRPA
    SCOPE

  6. #6
    Private TriggerTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Carthage
    Posts
    12

    Default

    My local FFL wouldnt do the transfer any more, and said they had spoken with the state police earlier today about it.

  7. #7
    Administrator Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goros View Post
    Correct. You will probably have to finish assembling and registering it before the year is up to avoid constructive intent laws. Even if it isn't done, registering it with the future caliber will probably be fine. I wouldn't expect them to actually inspect them.
    If you didn't legally posses the assault rifle before the bill was signed you can't have one. So you'll have to build the lower into a rifle with no features on the list or into a bolt action rifle or some other non semi-auto.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

  8. #8
    Private
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    L.I
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerTX View Post
    My local FFL wouldnt do the transfer any more, and said they had spoken with the state police earlier today about it.
    spoke to my lgs as well today he said was not aloud to sell anymore ar he had 3 on the wall said only out of state i asked about striped lower receivers said pretty much same thing

  9. #9
    Private TriggerTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Carthage
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    If you didn't legally posses the assault rifle before the bill was signed you can't have one. So you'll have to build the lower into a rifle with no features on the list or into a bolt action rifle or some other non semi-auto.
    So I get my stripped AR lower receiver from the FFL holder and take it home to build an illegal weapon, featureless AR platform, or some sort of bolt action operation, or just get the lower and hold it till I am able to flee this corrupt state..... How exactly do I do that if the FFL folks wont accept the part of transfer it to me? I can understand some of them (FFL holder) harboring some sort of fear out of the lack of understanding for this conundrum of a law, but according to my local FFL holder they spoke to the state police today and said they could no longer transfer it. I asked if an Mini14 was still legal and they said no.

  10. #10
    Sergeant badbowtie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    sullivan
    Posts
    334

    Default

    so if we build our lowers which were possessed before the new bill into bolt action 50 bmg's then its not an assault weapon and its legal? i thought the lower was the deciding factor with the detatchable mag well and pistol grip so even with a bolt fed upper it really is still illegal
    GOD,GUNS AND GUTS MADE AMERICA..........LETS KEEP ALL THREE !!!!!!!!

  11. #11
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    monroe
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goros View Post
    Correct. You will probably have to finish assembling and registering it before the year is up to avoid constructive intent laws. Even if it isn't done, registering it with the future caliber will probably be fine. I wouldn't expect them to actually inspect them.
    Future caliber? What if it says multi and you have 5.56, .300 AAC and a .450 bushy uppers. Cuomo might get his panties in a knot.

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Moreau NY
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    I got a $400 custom billet 9mm lower sitting at my ffl. I ordered it December 14th and it didn't get delivered till yesterday. I don't know what to do now. Best part is I got the upper here waiting for it. I'm pretty pissed

  13. #13
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Williamson
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Go try to pick it up? Build a ban-complaint rifle.
    NRA - EPL
    SAF
    GOA
    NYSRPA
    SCOPE

  14. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Moreau NY
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goros View Post
    Go try to pick it up? Build a ban-complaint rifle.
    Who the hell wants a new ban compliant rifle? I would rather loose the 400 then attempt something like that. I have all the parts here already to finish it anyways. Just needed that lower!!!!

    what we need to do is hurry up and get this ban turned around....

  15. #15
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Williamson
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Is just a lower. If you don't put a pistol grip on, you're still good to go. Remember, you don't have to register it until 2014.
    NRA - EPL
    SAF
    GOA
    NYSRPA
    SCOPE

  16. #16
    Private TriggerTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Carthage
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goros View Post
    Is just a lower. If you don't put a pistol grip on, you're still good to go. Remember, you don't have to register it until 2014.
    Sounds good, just gotta get that lower past the FFL dealer who states the State Police said they couldn't sell it anymore.

  17. #17
    Colonel PY-Tactical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Penn Yan, Keuka Lake mud pits
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badbowtie View Post
    so if we build our lowers which were possessed before the new bill into bolt action 50 bmg's then its not an assault weapon and its legal? i thought the lower was the deciding factor with the detatchable mag well and pistol grip so even with a bolt fed upper it really is still illegal
    Assault Weapons are semi auto = Bolt action OK. All evil features OK
    plus it will piss off the Gov.
    The first rule of AR Club is you do not talk about AR Club!

    The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. ~ Ayn Rand

  18. #18
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Williamson
    Posts
    239

    Default

    That. They can't ban parts or featureless guns because it's not in the law that they can.

    And at the end of the day, it becomes on them to prove that the lower was made into an illegal firearm after the ban took effect. Good luck unless the lower was forged after 1/15/13.
    NRA - EPL
    SAF
    GOA
    NYSRPA
    SCOPE

  19. #19
    Colonel PY-Tactical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Penn Yan, Keuka Lake mud pits
    Posts
    3,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman1024 View Post
    Who the hell wants a new ban compliant rifle? I would rather loose the 400 then attempt something like that. I have all the parts here already to finish it anyways. Just needed that lower!!!!

    what we need to do is hurry up and get this ban turned around....
    The law doesn't ban parts, even serial numbered ones. That lower can be built into a bolt action and let them prove it isn't going to be.
    Last edited by PY-Tactical; 01-18-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    The first rule of AR Club is you do not talk about AR Club!

    The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. ~ Ayn Rand

  20. #20
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Avoca, New York
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerTX View Post
    Sounds good, just gotta get that lower past the FFL dealer who states the State Police said they couldn't sell it anymore.
    the State Police may not interpret the Law, nor offer a Legal Opinion
    tell your FFL you will be in to pick up Your lawfully owned Property

  21. #21
    Private
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    hamburg village
    Posts
    70

    Unhappy how do i get my lower now?

    bought a lower from jd machine tech over a month ago and still haven't received it yet. my FFL is on vacation until the 12th, when he says i can come pick the lower up (they passed the new law after he left for vacation). Think i'm screwed? i think i'm screwed.

  22. #22
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Avoca, New York
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    you are fine

  23. #23
    Major
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Albany county
    Posts
    1,489

    Default

    Negative. It's irrelevant when he left for vacation. It's illegal to transfer it now.

  24. #24
    Private
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    hamburg village
    Posts
    70

    Default

    when this all settles and becomes more clear, if i can't have it transferred then i'll just have him send it to me in north dakota where i'm also a resident. ****ty way to go about it, but whatya do?

  25. #25
    I kill deer... and I like it Ragnar Danneskjold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ask the NSA
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drsfmd View Post
    Negative. It's irrelevant when he left for vacation. It's illegal to transfer it now.
    Why? Assault weapons cannot be sold in NY, but a lower doesn't fit the definition of assault weapon.
    MrAndy and dantrap like this.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. AR Lower Receiver for $27.95
    By roch in forum The AR-15
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-23-2009, 06:36 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •