Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Best Dedicated AR-15 .22LR Upper?

Captain

Default Best Dedicated AR-15 .22LR Upper?

So what dedicated 22LR uppers do you guys like and why?

Which uppers have the most modular, quality magazines?

Which ones have the best, easy to replace and currently made replacement parts?

Are some harder to clean than others?

Any ill effects on the lower with a dedicated 22LR upper?

I was going to also make a thread about the best AR-15 dedicated rifle but we all know it's the Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 so not much point!

The reason for all these posts lately....I have someone willing to pay me an amazing sum of money for my 15-22. I figured a dedicated upper is the way to go since I cannot buy another 15-22 brand new.

dedicated upper, i would go with the CMMG for the money. you'll get the proper barrel contour for the .22lr round. the only issue you may run into is with your lower's trigger pack prematurely wearing out.

just my .02

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by dodobrown View Post
    dedicated upper, i would go with the CMMG for the money. you'll get the proper barrel contour for the .22lr round. the only issue you may run into is with your lower's trigger pack prematurely wearing out.

just my .02
    Why would it wear out prematurely? Because it's so fun to fire or is there a serious issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Psycareyo View Post
    Why would it wear out prematurely? Because it's so fun to fire or is there a serious issue?
    from what i know, the trigger packs are not designed for blowback action like a 22lr would bring as the typical AR has a delay in the action to let pressure drop. i've read of a few guys who's axis pins on their trigger packs snapped - that's about it.

i've got a CMMG conversion kit for my 14.5 LMT upper that sits on a RRA lower with maybe 10K through it and no issues.

I don't think you'll have an issue with it though, just good luck finding ammo!
    DrgnFly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dodobrown View Post
    from what i know, the trigger packs are not designed for blowback action like a 22lr would bring as the typical AR has a delay in the action to let pressure drop. i've read of a few guys who's axis pins on their trigger packs snapped - that's about it.

i've got a CMMG conversion kit for my 14.5 LMT upper that sits on a RRA lower with maybe 10K through it and no issues.

I don't think you'll have an issue with it though, just good luck finding ammo!

What did the kit run you?
    Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Quote Originally Posted by DrgnFly View Post
    What did the kit run you?
    got it used locally for $160 w/ 2 mags.

it's already paid for itself 3x over since september.

accuracy is not the best past 25 yards because my barrel is 1/7 not a .22lr barrel, but is great for training (which i do a lot of)..
    DrgnFly likes this.

Nice good deal. Thanks
    Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Les

Go with a DPMS and call it done. Great upper. The CMMG uppers are not machined with a dedicated breech and bolt, they just put their conversion bolt in an upper with a standard AR machining configuration. Yes, the barrel is bored for .22LR but the rest of the upper is mostly a standard conversion unit. DPMS uppers are machined for and have a bolt specifically designed for .22LR. I researched a lot before I bought my DPMS. I tried the CMMG conversion unit with horrible results even after it was replaced by CMMG. Three different ARs were tried, none functioned flawlessly and accuracy was spotty at best. I'm sure others will not agree with me but I am extremely happy with my DPMS.
    DrgnFly likes this.
    NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer - NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member
    === Make a fast friend, adopt a retired racing greyhound. ===

Captain

Looks like the general feel is that Spikes and DPMS have the best Dedicated 22LR uppers.
    Last edited by Psycareyo; 02-02-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Private

I highly recommend a TACCOM upper. ULW UPPER 22LR

Les

I paid $395 for my DPMS with heavy target barrel from Midway.

Captain

I think I'm going to hold out for a Spikes dedicated 22 upper. I like the BCG a lot better than the DPMS unit.

Who do you know that will do this?

Now the question is....Should I unload my 15-22?

I would GET: Tapco Ruger 10/22 and $500
    He would GET: 2012 M&P15-22 w/ two 10rd short mags.

If you know someone who wants the deal, have them get in touch with me. I'll trade my camo version S&W 15-22 for a ruger 10/22 (depending on the conditon and what model, barel, etc) and $500. I have 1 short mag and 3 10-rnd long mags...

Captain

Don't see what it matters who it is. I'm certainly not going to post someones name on an massive online forum without their permission.

My spikes dedidicated upper has been flawless. With that being said, they seem to be hit or miss lately with sales and support. Its still my favorite plinker.

Im going to add KNS pins, but with the RRA dual stage trigger which has less mass it doesn't seem as rough on trigger pins as factory triggers.
    Last edited by n20junkie; 02-01-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Captain

I see a few DPMS units but it's pretty much impossible to find a Spikes dedicated 22 upper right now. Even still, the Spikes uppers are expensive!

Does anyone know where I can find a dedicated 22lr complete uppers to go on my Ar-15 lower?

Les

Midway shows out of stock but backorder okay with a 12/22 date of expected delivery for the DPMS heavy barrel (no flash hider or brake) upper. I have this same upper and love it. I put an order in for one when they had the same out of stock message and they shipped it when they got stock in. They don't charge you until they ship. This is about the only .22 upper available without a flash hider on it.
    ranger1033 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Midway shows out of stock but backorder okay with a 12/22 date of expected delivery for the DPMS heavy barrel (no flash hider or brake) upper. I have this same upper and love it. I put an order in for one when they had the same out of stock message and they shipped it when they got stock in. They don't charge you until they ship. This is about the only .22 upper available without a flash hider on it.
    Thanks Les appreciate your help..

Can anyone tell me will MidwayUSA ship this uppers to NY,just like to make sure before I go ahead order one? Or is there any place that has this same upper for sale..?

DPMS AR-15 A3 Flat-Top Conversion Upper Assembly 22 Long Rifle 1 16

Major

Quote Originally Posted by ranger1033 View Post
    Can anyone tell me will MidwayUSA ship this uppers to NY,just like to make sure before I go ahead order one? Or is there any place that has this same upper for sale..?

DPMS AR-15 A3 Flat-Top Conversion Upper Assembly 22 Long Rifle 1 16
    I can see no reason why they wouldn't ship it here. Perfectly legal
    ranger1033 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrtraderny View Post
    I can see no reason why they wouldn't ship it here. Perfectly legal
    Thank You,now I just have to wait and see if they get them in stock now,I would order one but says there on back order till they get them from the manufacture which could be a month or longer,they have some in stock of other uppers but they all have muzzle brakes on them..

Major

Thank You,now I just have to wait and see if they get them in stock now,I would order one but says there on back order till they get them from the manufacture which could be a month or longer,they have some in stock of other uppers but they all have muzzle brakes on them..
    There has been some gossip about Midway not shipping anything here after January 1, 2014 but I haven't seen anything concrete and I've been receiving stuff quite regular from them.

Quote Originally Posted by jrtraderny View Post
    There has been some gossip about Midway not shipping anything here after January 1, 2014 but I haven't seen anything concrete and I've been receiving stuff quite regular from them.
    Yeah I going to contact some of the vendors here on the forum and see if they can get me one,I know Dark Storm Industries carries the CMMG but there out of stock right now and when I was at Firefly Firearms today he will also see if he can get me one,I like to get it from one of are NY vendors to help support them..so I hoping one of the 2 will be able to get the upper for me..

I even ask Exile Machine to see if he could find one for me,I know he is not in NY but he supports are cause out here in NY..

Les

Yeah I going to contact some of the vendors here on the forum and see if they can get me one,

the CMMG but there out of stock right now .
    I wouldn't go with a CMMG. They just put their .22 conversion bolt carrier in a standard AR cut receiver. DPMS machines the receiver of theirs to fit their bolt carrier which is designed from the ground up to function with .22LR ammo. The DPMS receiver is not machined anything like a standard AR chamber, the bolt is rectangular almost like a Ruger 10/22. I looked at CMMG before I bought mine. I had already tried their conversion bolt carrier in my Stag with lousy function and accuracy. That's when I did some research and found the DPMS upper design. I waited 2 or 3 months for mine to ship but now I think it was well worth the wait. I couldn't be happier with the DPMS, excellent accuracy and flawless functioning. Black Dog magazines will run fine in it too and are relatively cheap. Just putting out there what my experience has been.
    ranger1033 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast