New York Firearms Forum banner

My neutered AR build (NY Compliant)

7K views 63 replies 40 participants last post by  Doppleganger 
#1 · (Edited)
For giggles and nostalgic (I hope soon) purposes I did a build that I hope averts it's classification as an AW.

So my varmint gun has the following Evil features:
#1 __________

Let me know if I overlooked something.

I did the following to make it usable:

Chose a lower that was not currently on "the list"
Installed a "monster man" grip to eliminate pistol grip.
Installed an ambidextrous safety to be used in the absence of thumb access.
Chose a bull barrel (the sucker is heavy) to avoid a break/flash hider etc.
Chose a stag stock to conform to MM grip and eliminate thumb wrap around. - non collapsable.
Installed a nikon p223 scope. If it was going to be heavy I wanted it to be for long range.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

See less See more
#3 ·
god-awful

#6 ·
Come on guys, be nice. Looks like he worked hard to make it compliant so he can still shoot if it's not repealed. I'd personally wait before molesting my AR. Doesn't look like you missed anything to me.

#8 ·
And just goes to show you although it is a hideous shell of a fine weapon, it is still just as lethal and accurate. Total BS law. We will beat you Cuomo. Your goose is cooked. Nice job RVanO. Does everyone agree it is compliant? I thought Monsterman type grips were also banned.

#12 ·
That grip could still be called a pistol grip because, unlike California, there are no precise definitions as to what a pistol grip is in New York.
if you possessed the lower prior to 1/15/13 you may just as well put a functional pistol grip on the gun and use it that way until next year.
Put your Monster grip on then. Worst case scenario, if you ever get called on it you can be adamant about believing it to be legal and then get the thirty days to register.

#51 ·
There is no such thing as " the list"

It looks like you did a lot of research to comply, I am surprised you included that false misconception in your list
I saw, on the NYSP site, immediately after passage, a list of specific AR15 manufacturers banned by name.

Are we now saying that doesn't exist?

#18 ·
The great thing about a build is it can be rebuilt. The grip is the only thing that was an out of pocket thing, I have plenty of pistol grips for WHEN the farce is over.

As for "the list" it was in quotes for a reason.

It's really hard for things like sarcasm to translate into text, unless you know the person.

I did not put a lot of time into this, and it would not take much time to put what I really like back into it.

Thanks for the constructive input.

#21 ·
Actually now that you mention it, I remember seeing that somewhere. And I know the NYSP were telling people that on the Hotline, because we were debating whether that was correct. But I think you are right. Their intent was to outlaw any form of this rifle.

#30 ·
What Runner quoted describes handguards right? So if they count it as an evil feature we can't have them if you want a rifle that does not have to be registered. How do you practically use a rifle like this without handguards? That was the point I was making.

#32 ·
Are you sure? The damn State Police were telling everyone for weeks that handguards were a banned feature on semi-auto rifles. So that was BS? I just don't understand the law, it's that damn confusing.

#35 · (Edited)
Gonna try to break this down:

a. Different characteristics make different firearms "assault weapon."

b. The law specifically states three separate definitions for assault weapon style rifles, pistols, and shotguns.

c. In the "assault weapon pistol" definition, it makes a clear distinction between the shroud and the forward vertical grip by defining the two as separate characteristics the gun could have. (See exact text of law below)

d. This distinction demonstrates that the state does consider these characteristics, the shroud and a forward protruding grip, to be separate features.

e. The "assault weapon rifle" definition, the law only mentions the forward protruding grip. The definition does NOT mention the barrel shroud in the characteristics.

f. Therefore, a barrel shroud is not an "assault weapon" characteristic when on a rifle, only a pistol.

for you viewing displeasure:

page 18&19 of the NY Safe Act
(found here: DOCUMENT: Read the full NY SAFE Act of 2013 - troyrecord.com)

A) A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE
AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:
(I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
(II) A PISTOL GRIP THAT PROTRUDES CONSPICUOUSLY BENEATH THE ACTION OF47 THE WEAPON;48
(III) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
***(IV) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE50 NON-TRIGGER HAND***
(V) A BAYONET MOUNT;
(VI) A FLASH SUPPRESSOR, MUZZLE BREAK, MUZZLE COMPENSATOR, OR THREADED53 BARREL DESIGNED TO ACCOMMODATE A FLASH SUPPRESSOR, MUZZLE BREAK, OR54 MUZZLE COMPENSATOR;
(VII) A GRENADE LAUNCHER; OR

(B) A SEMIAUTOMATIC SHOTGUN THAT HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING2 CHARACTERISTICS:
(I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
(II) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
(III) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE6 NON-TRIGGER HAND
(IV) A FIXED MAGAZINE CAPACITY IN EXCESS OF SEVEN ROUNDS;8 (V) AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE;
OR

(C) A SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:
11 (I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;
(II) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;
***(III) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE14 NON-TRIGGER HAND***
(IV) CAPACITY TO ACCEPT AN AMMUNITION MAGAZINE THAT ATTACHES TO THE16 PISTOL OUTSIDE OF THE PISTOL GRIP;
(V) A THREADED BARREL CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING A BARREL EXTENDER, FLASH18 SUPPRESSOR, FORWARD HANDGRIP, OR SILENCER;
*** (VI) A SHROUD THAT IS ATTACHED TO, OR PARTIALLY OR COMPLETELY ENCIR-20 CLES, THE BARREL AND THAT PERMITS THE SHOOTER TO HOLD THE FIREARM WITH21 THE NON-TRIGGER HAND WITHOUT BEING BURNED***
(VII) A MANUFACTURED WEIGHT OF FIFTY OUNCES OR MORE WHEN THE PISTOL IS UNLOADED

#43 ·
I know what I did now, I was reading the semiautomatic pistol section thinking it was the rifle section when I was reading for that. Can't believe I missed that one. Woops. Thanks. No one pointed that out in a thread I read before and I didn't realize I read the wrong section. And I don't keep going back to read this law because it makes me want to be sick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.