Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RayKnobs

Thread: Recommended parts for NY compliant AR build

Default Recommended parts for NY compliant AR build

SO I am in the (slow) process of building a NY compliant rifle, but I was curious about some of the parts and kits out there. For a lower parts kit, do all kits pretty much contain the same parts? I have seen them as low a $35 with a trigger group (not really sure what that is yet) and as high as $250. What's the difference? And what about bolt carrier groups? Huge difference and does finish make a huge difference? Beside the upper and lower receivers, BCG, lower parts kit and barrel, what other items do I need? I'm going the route of the exile machine co stock so hopefully will be within NY ridiculous laws... I don't care if I have parts from different manufacturers, as long as the rifle is reliable, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance all.

have you thought about buying an upper and making it compliant? or do you want to build it all yourself?

The best LPK is the one that is in stock.
    Jeff likes this.

You should search threads for this info and come back with questions you couldn't find info on. Way too much for one thread!

There is a huge range is parts for ARs. We sell entry level LPKs for $65 and triggers that are $280 by themselves. You need to consider your budget, your experience level and your critical need (target shooting vs patrrol in Afghanistan). Each item has its pros and cons and needs to be evaluated from your perspective. What is better for Tom may not be better for Dick or Harry. If this is your first AR, my honest suggestion is get entry level parts for now just to get you going and as you use it you will figure out what areas you want to invest more in.
    Ed
    Dark Storm Industries, LLC.
    Manufacturer of DS-15 NY SAFE Rifles
    www.dark-storm.com

Since this is my first build and I am not sure which way the laws will go, I want to keep the price as low as I can. Hopefully these laws will be gone soon and I will purchase an AR similar to that which I once had. I would like to do as much as I can myself before I have to go to a gunsmith for anything. I found an LPK for $35, but it seems too cheap compared to the price of others, but it is a good name brand (DPMS).

Quote Originally Posted by toofast250r View Post
    Since this is my first build and I am not sure which way the laws will go, I want to keep the price as low as I can. Hopefully these laws will be gone soon and I will purchase an AR similar to that which I once had. I would like to do as much as I can myself before I have to go to a gunsmith for anything. I found an LPK for $35, but it seems too cheap compared to the price of others, but it is a good name brand (DPMS).
    Without seeing it I will assure you it does not come with a trigger.

Captain

Your best bet is to buy a stripped lower, complete assembled upper half with a plain crowned muzzle and no bayonet lug. Put these items aside and WAIT until we have some clarification on what will be required to assemble a rifle that does not need to be registered. History is ny never gave us guidance during the previous pataki law but at least we had the federal regs to fall back on. This is pretty uncharted territory and nobody has any specific backed up by documents answer to what if any build will be legal by next year.