Traveling To VA This Weekend I Want To Bring My My Gun What To Know.
Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jshield
  • 1 Post By Saltwater60
  • 1 Post By kisangani

Thread: Traveling To VA This Weekend I Want To Bring My My Gun What To Know.

Default Traveling To VA This Weekend I Want To Bring My My Gun What To Know.

I am traveling down to VA this weekend. I want to bring my pistol. What should I know? Ugh should I even risk traveling thru New Jersey? with both the ammo and NON hollow points ammo locked in separate containers?

Note I do have a Florida non resident permit...I used to have a PA permit but I let it lapse last April.
    NYS Unrestricted | PA LTCF | FL CWFL | NRA Member
    Reading, Doing And Learning

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Im not going to even bother. Just checked and PA only honors Florida resident permit. NJ and MD don't don't shit!
    I was flying directly to VA Id be good but Im driving I am not even going to risk it. I will bring my Kershaw folder with me and hope for the best lol.

Corporal

I
    Quote Originally Posted by kflo01 View Post
    Im not going to even bother. Just checked and PA only honors Florida resident permit. NJ and MD don't don't shit!
    I was flying directly to VA Id be good but Im driving I am not even going to risk it. I will bring my Kershaw folder with me and hope for the best lol.

If you have a VA permit, you can take your pistol. It must be locked in the trunk, unloaded, with ammo separate and also locked up. You are covered by Federal law. Just don't take it out in a state where you don't have a permit.
    Saltwater60 likes this.
    Member of SaraSpa Rod and Gun Club
    NRA Member
    Certified Range Safety Officer

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFirearms.com
    Advertisements

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by jshield View Post
    I

If you have a VA permit, you can take your pistol. It must be locked in the trunk, unloaded, with ammo separate and also locked up. You are covered by Federal law. Just don't take it out in a state where you don't have a permit.
    I would abound NJ just because you will get hassled if they discover it. Don't worry about PA you don't need a permit unless your concealed carrying. You can have it in your car no issues. Do as above poster described and you will be fine.
    xag2usn likes this.

Major

Too risky even locked in the trunk. MD and NJ are not to be trusted even when obeying the law, they'll make you life miserable.
    Peace, out.

Private

Your in Newburgh Why dont you run Rt.84 to Scranton and south on Rt.81 into Virginia. Then you can cut over Rt. 66 or Rt.64 depending where you are going. My daughter is in Fairfax and I go this was and run 66 right to fairfax. no tolls but about 30 miles longer.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Sully4755 View Post
    Your in Newburgh Why dont you run Rt.84 to Scranton and south on Rt.81 into Virginia. Then you can cut over Rt. 66 or Rt.64 depending where you are going. My daughter is in Fairfax and I go this was and run 66 right to fairfax. no tolls but about 30 miles longer.

I believe OP is concerned about driving through NJ AND Maryland. But on a broader note, these kinds of posts are honestly quite pointless.

OP needs to ask themselves if it is really worth going through all this hassle just to go away for a weekend. Clearly governments in the Northeast have us in sort of a political checkmate when it comes to gun rights and basically doing ANYTHING with your firearms at your own risk (hunting, visiting a range, concealed carry, etc). If you really want to take your gun with you, at some point just grow a backbone and do it. Drive through NJ, Maryland and whatever state you want keeping in mind that you are protected by federal "peaceable journey laws" that supersede any state law. Or if you want to be like the typical paranoid sort that comment on this forum, take a 450 mile/7.5 hour detour through PA around the westernmost part of Maryland, into West Virginia, and along local highways until you get to VA. (will take you a total of roughly 12.5 hours instead of ~5).
    jshield likes this.

Private

Rt 81 does not go through Jersey.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by Sully4755 View Post
    Rt 81 does not go through Jersey.
    Yes, but it does go through Maryland which is just as bad as NJ (in terms of gun laws).

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by kisangani View Post
    Yes, but it does go through Maryland which is just as bad as NJ (in terms of gun laws).
    Only for 12 miles I believe.

Virginia just passed a law the lets you carry if you have a pistol permit from your home State.
    Walk Light, Carry a Big Stick & Never Walk Away, Teddy Roosevelt
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4
    NRA, WAC "Washington Arms Collectors"
    1 million people attended Obama's inauguration, but only 14 had to miss work

OK IM BACK!!!
    I didn't bring it. I didn't want to risk running into a super cop in NJ or MD and getting hassled.
    We ended up going thru NJ DL and MD to and from VA.
    If I flew directly to VA I would have brought it since a NY permit is honored in VA. Anyhow I brought my EDC knife instead, trip was uneventful.

Corporal

I drive to Delaware frequently. My permits are valid in Delaware and the entire root except NJ. While traveling through NJ I lock the pistol and ammo in separate locked cases and keep them out of the driver's compartment. I have checked and double checked with NJ State Police and this is perfectly legal and covered by FOPA. You just cannot stay overnight in NJ and must leave pistol and ammo in locked case for duration of travel through NJ.

Same is true in MD although I have never tested it.

The posts seems to coincide with what I had previously been instructed. It's legal to transport if you are just passing through. But sometimes you just don't want that additional worry - which I can understand.