Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Skwiggledork
  • 1 Post By Evild
  • 1 Post By Darthgamer138

Thread: Holster squeak

Default Holster squeak

I've got a fairly new (about 2 months) Crossbreed IWB holster and love it. However, there is a considerable amount of "squeak" (for lack of a better word) when walking. Tried baby powder, leather oil, leather conditioner, doubling up the rubber washer that holds on the belt clips but nothing seems to work. Any tricks to stop the "squeaking"? Hopefully just needs to break in some more. Thanks.

Captain

I'll admit i have no first hand knowledge about holsters ...or pistols, but I think it has to be "squeeking" against something. have you tried with a different fabric clothes? It might just not like your pants lol.
    ADK 7.62 likes this.

Think its coming from where the belt clips attach to the leather. This may be a common problem because the company actually includes extra rubber spacers for between the leather and metal clips. Just wondering if anybody else has had the same problem and knows how to correct it.

I kill deer... and I like it Ragnar Danneskjold's Avatar

The squeaking drove me nuts when I first started wearing mine! It was incredibly noticeable, and if nobody was talking I'd try to stay still. Eventually I put a piece of double-sided tape between the metal clip and the horsehide and the problem was solved. That's the only negative thing I have to say about my Crossbreed.

Googled Crossbreed Holster Squeak and got about 5000 hits. Read on another forum that some guy fixed it by. Taking the clips off and melting candle wax into the leather under the clip. Somebody else said the problem went away after dialing in the can't. Think -'m going to try the candle wax. Thanks.

I would get another holster instead of messing around with something you have paid good money for and isn't working correctly. If it's loud enough to bother you and there is 5000 hits on it, it's obviously a problem. What is Crossbreed doing to correct it?
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm

I have it too I just waxed where the clips hit the hide and that took care of it.

its not the gun its the person behind it

Thanks will try.

I don't have a crossbreed, and I'm not familiar with it at all. Actually I don't have any holsters made from Kydex at all. I do however have a whole lot of leather. In my experience, it always squeaks. Depending on the day, the heat, the moisture in the air.. sometimes it just gets squeaky. You can make some fixes, but climate change, sweat, whatever, will often bring back the squeak. My advice is to just ignore it. I sometimes hear it, and I'm sure others have heard it, but as far as I know nobody has ever associated it with carrying a gun.

I have an IWB holster for my XD made by DeSantis, same thing. Leather does squeak, and there's no kydex on the desantis. It's the leather belt squeaking against the leather holster, I think.
    I may try the candle wax thing...

My crossbreed squeaks too, I like it.
    hexidismal likes this.
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

Sergeant

My Crossbreed Supertuck (for my Beretta) also squeaks, it's annoying. I'll try the candle wax trick.

I picked up a Milt Sparks 'Summer Special' for my Ruger SR1911.. while not as comfortable as the Supertuck, I can get a better grip for drawing, and it is entirely silent. Also have much better retention; I know the Supertuck can be adjusted but I'm half bald so I don't have a hair dryer. Might send it in for both a 'combat cut' and to have the retention tightened.

I've got this stuff called "Sno Seal", made to waterproof leather, you warm the leather and apply this stuff, it soaks in. Just put it on my holster - so far it seems to stop the squeaks, will report on how it works after I use the holster to carry.

Sergeant

Any brand of a Neutral shoe wax such as KIWI etc. Applied to the Leather, or the Kydex & then buffed off with a clean lint free cloth will stop any squeak's in the leather holsters,? you can do the inside of the holster also,? & need not worrying about the wax getting on on your gun,? it will nor harm it one bit.? The shoe wax was told to me by a Leather holster maker ,? years ago & it keeps all of my leather goods looking like new./ Belts to.?

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. The squeak is definitely coming from wher the clips attach to the holster, but I've gotten used to it and seriously don't believe anybody notices it but me.

Went out the other day and my wife was complaining about the "squeak". I'd gotten used to it but last thing I need is to annoy the wife. Asked her if she had any candles. She actually helped me; couple of drops of candle wax right below the top of the clips (where they hit the leather) did the trick! No more squeak....

i notice this with my Tommy theis holster. It doesn't do it when i tuck the shirt in....
    RPD 46

My Crossbreed Supertuck squeak went away after 1 day of me sweating on it.
    cgrutt likes this.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Diver. Dives- ​56. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Private

Put some masking tape where the metal clip hits the leather, and the squeak went away, I think I'm gonna try the candle trick thought.

I got my crossbreed used, no squeak at all from mine.