Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By RayKnobs

Thread: Concealed carry and long guns.....

Default Concealed carry and long guns.....

So I know it is not legal to drive around with a loaded long gun in a car, however I have heard of people having a concealed carry license and do not have either the money or otherwise are not able to obtain a pistol at that time, so as a substitute for the time being, because they live in a bad neighborhood or whatever the personal reasons are, they carry a loaded short barreled (short barreled within legal limit 18-20 inches long) shotgun in their car with them, right up front kinda like the shotguns they got up front in the State Trooper Tahoes.....is this legal? I understand their reasoning, "I am legally able to carry a weapon loaded in my car if it is a pistol, I do not have a pistol yet so a shotgun is my next best bet." sooo, legal?

They did not say they carried it around with them just in their car for whatever reason.

Also as a side note I have heard of people carrying shotguns in oversized leg holsters right in walmart, not sure what state this was happening in but what the heck is that about? I would have to say shotguns in exposed leg holsters in NY is totally illegal right? You cannot open carry and long gun?
    Rifle Wants: CETME, AR15, SBR AK in 7.62, Daewoo DR200

Pistol wants: XDM, Used Beretta M9/92FS for carry, S&W 5904/5/6 variant, Browning High Power

If you have a concealed carry permit and you have a shotgun that is in the car up front like the troopers do it isn't exactly "concealed"...thus defeating the concealed part of your carry permit...?

I don't know what the laws are regarding CCW of a shotgun, but good luck drawing that out from a holster in a pinch if you're being assaulted by a violent felon. Seems very impractical to me. Open Carry is not legal in NYS. There are exceptions when open carry is permissible, OC while hunting is one of them.

A loaded long gun inside a vehicle is against the law, in particular, DEC law.
    Last edited by ChrisWNY; 12-15-2011 at 10:00 PM.
    NYS/FL CCW
    --------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of those who threaten to destroy it.

Whatever is not listed in your CCW license you cannot carry. As simple as that.
    Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
    Worthless Calibers Inc. - 300 blackout, 5.45x39, 17 WSM, 450 Bushmaster

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/groups/...tsalesdeal.jpg

Alright just wondered, had some guy tell me. "O if a cop pulls u over just rack the slide back to take the round out of the chamber and they can't say nothin about it."

Obviously bull****, loaded mag = loaded weapon and I kno that, I have heard of people carrying loaded guns in a car that is y I asked I do not plan on doing this I'm going to (hopefully) get my CCW permit soon and that will be that.

Pistol wants: XDM, Used Beretta M9/92FS for carry, S&W 5904/5/6 variant, Browning High Power

You need to find a new group of people to associate with.
    Gunner57 and katoom23 like this.

Haha he wasn't a guy I hang out with, just some dumbass I talked to once who suggested something utterly stupid.

All county permits are little different. On my Ulster Co. permit it is very specifically worded. It simply says "State of New York, County of Ulster, License to carry PISTOL is hereby granted" followed by my info. Pretty clear cut.

However, it is a little odd that it says nothing about carrying that pistol concealed. It simply says "to carry pistol"

Quote Originally Posted by hexidismal View Post
    All county permits are little different. On my Ulster Co. permit it is very specifically worded. It simply says "State of New York, County of Ulster, License to carry PISTOL is hereby granted" followed by my info. Pretty clear cut.

However, it is a little odd that it says nothing about carrying that pistol concealed. It simply says "to carry pistol"
    There is a penal law that I'm sure someone will post soon that says something along the lines of "A license to possess a pistol is also a license to carry concealed blah blah blah..." I'm sure someone has it.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Nitrox Diver. Dives- ​59. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DystruktoBoi1 View Post
    Haha he wasn't a guy I hang out with, just some dumbass I talked to once who suggested something utterly stupid.
    I know the feeling

Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    There is a penal law that I'm sure someone will post soon that says something along the lines of "A license to possess a pistol is also a license to carry concealed blah blah blah..." I'm sure someone has it.
    Be the one to quote it. Id like to see it.
    I enjoy manipulating mechanical devices which propel small lead projectiles through space at high velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by aveisone View Post
    Be the one to quote it. Id like to see it.
    Making me do all the work.

The only types of licenses defined in the penal code:
    2. Types of licenses. A license for gunsmith or dealer in firearms shall be issued to engage in such business. A license for a pistol or revolver, other than an assault weapon or a disguised gun, shall be issued to (a) have and possess in his dwelling by a householder; (b) have and possess in his place of business by a merchant or storekeeper; (c) have and carry concealed while so employed by a messenger employed by a banking institution or express company; (d) have and carry concealed by a justice of the supreme court in the first or second judicial departments, or by a judge of the New York city civil court or the New York city criminal court; (e) have and carry concealed while so employed by a regular employee of an institution of the state, or of any county, city, town or village, under control of a commissioner of correction of the city or any warden, superintendent or head keeper of any state prison, penitentiary, workhouse, county jail or other institution for the detention of persons convicted or accused of crime or held as witnesses in criminal cases, provided that application is made therefor by such commissioner, warden, superintendent or head keeper; (f) have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the issuance thereof; and (g) have, possess, collect and carry antique pistols which are defined as follows: ...
    NY (not NYC) licenses are all concealed carry (unless you specifically apply for Premises or Employment, etc. My application had only 3 boxes: Premises, Employment, or Carry Concealed). Restrictions can be put on them, but as is discussed quite often on here, they are only custodial.

I know there is also a section stating exactly what I quoted earlier, just got to find it now.

Well, I found this, just what I posted:

A license to possess a handgun serves also as a license to carryunless restricted.

And that came from this NRA-ILA .pdf

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf

But, I can't find the Penal code section that got that from.
    Last edited by Darthgamer138; 12-16-2011 at 04:04 AM.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Nitrox Diver. Dives- ​59. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)