Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: No ccw here!!! ----- places that are off limits to concealed carry

Default No ccw here!!! ----- places that are off limits to concealed carry

OK everyone: Let's keep it simple. Just list confirmed places, areas, or locations in the Greater Rochester Area that are off limits to legal CCW. A confirmed off limits place would be one that you know for a fact, can point to a law, or an actual photo of the restriction. No heresay or rumor. Just fact.

This won't be a thread to discuss whether it is right or wrong, what your perceived ideas are or why a place should or should not restrict or omit carry. This is just a thread to LIST the places. Again. Hold your discussion for the other thread where we tried to do this before

We can start with the following, the most obvious ones:

Monroe County Parks.
    County Law section 323-28. Weapons.
    A. No person except a law enforcement officer shall carry any firearm, switchblade, gravity knife, slingshot or other dangerous weapon concealed on or about his or her person while in a park.
    B. No person except a law enforcement officer shall carry, fire or discharge any rifle, shotgun,
    machine gun, rocket or fireworks of any description, bow or arrow in a park.
    C. These prohibitions do not apply to instrumentalities reasonably necessary for trapping utilized by persons authorized to trap in a park pursuant to 323-18B above.
    D. Nonobservance of this section shall constitute a misdemeanor.

City Parks

Some areas of NY State Parks

Federal Property such as the post office, courts, FBI Office

Schools or any place used for educational purposes (State Law)

Jared Jewelers in Henrietta

HSBC Bank

NY Police Supply in Irondequoit

Tinseltown in Gates

Frontier Field

The War Memorial

Pae-tec Park

Airport secured area

The Racino on 96 in Farmington is posted no firearms.

ANY VA property

Regal Cinema at Culver Ridge

Darien Lake

Remember: This thread is for places in the Greater Rochester area. Not Buffalo, Syracuse, Dansville, Batavia, etc. Just Rochester and the immediate suburbs.

MODS: Feel free to lock this and add as someone PM's you or leave it open, but let's keep the channel clear.

So. List away!
    Last edited by RochPersDef; 01-28-2012 at 10:55 PM.
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Rochester laws chapter 43-11

Specific acts and/or behaviors prohibited. No person shall:
    Have in possession or discharge firearms within the cemetery, except at military funerals.

"Cemetery" is defined in the definitions section as Mount Hope or Riverside cemeteries.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

deleted
    Last edited by slipperypete; 01-27-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks Pete. How bout we start a thread for each location in NY? That way we could keep this thread for Rochester locations only?

This could get out of hand quickly.
    Evild likes this.
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

Dave Jenkins,
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!

OFFICIAL COMPILATION OF CODES, RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK
    TITLE 17. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
    CHAPTER IV. HIGHWAYS
    SUBCHAPTER C. HIGHWAY USE AND MAINTENANCE

PART 156. USE OF REST AND PARKING AREAS AND SCENIC OVERLOOKS

* Section 156.12.* Firearms and weapons.

(a) At no time shall drawn bows, loaded firearms , loaded air guns, spring guns or other such weapons be permitted in any rest or parking area or scenic overlook, nor shall any bow, firearm , air gun, spring gun or other weapon be discharged for any reason in any rest or parking area or scenic overlook.

(b) This provision shall not apply to peace officers, as defined in section 154 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, or to State police officers, conservation officers or special game protectors.
    Last edited by Jeff; 01-26-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Mental hygiene facilities (without permission of the facility director)
    NY CRR Title 14, 45.1

Facilities licensed or operated by the Department of Mental Health
    NY CRR Title 14, 633.7

Social services premises
    NY CRR Title 18, 678.4

Residential child care facilities
    NY CRR Title 18, 441.19

Canal system lands
    NY CRR Title 21, 150.6(e)(11)

Video lottery gaming facilities
    NY CRR Title 21, 2836-19.4

All places I've been to (for work) - all have walk-through metal detectors unless specified:

Monroe County Department of Social Services on St. Paul
    Greece Town Court
    Parma Town Court
    Federal building on State Street
    Monroe County Hall of Justice
    Last edited by nessman; 01-29-2012 at 12:44 AM.
    According to Fuhrer Cuomo, I am an "extreme fringe conservative". According to Bill Maher, I'm an "ammosexual". F' them. I'm just a regular guy who chooses to arm himself - a sheepdog amongst the sheep - because I never know when the wolf will appear.

The term "Federal facility" means a building or part
    thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal
    employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing
    their official duties.
    18 U.S.C. 930 : US Code - Section 930: Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

Corporal

All Regal and Cinemark theater locations, seems to be corporate policy.

I have not seen their off limits signs in all of the locations. I found one in the Culver Ridge (As stated above already) location but I did not see one at the Greece location.

Can a few of you visit the entrances of the differing locations and then confirm before we issue the blanket "all locations" listing? Just PM me when you find out..

Dave Jenkins,

I have the nail in the coffin for the Regal Cinema issue.. Sorry to say but they are anti gun.

Private

Firearms of any type (even unloaded) are prohibited from the entire length of the Lake Ontario State Parkway. Am including it due to it terminating on the eastern end in Rochester.

9 CRR-NY 375.1. Activities absolutely prohibited.
    "The activities and uses enumerated in this section shall be absolutely prohibited on property under the jurisdiction, custody and control of the office."

9 CRR-NY 375.1(p)(1)

"(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraph (2) of this subdivision, no person, other than a member of a Federal, State or municipal law enforcement agency, shall introduce or possess, either upon the person or within a vehicle, or use any firearm or any instrument or weapon the propelling force of which is a spring, rubber or air or any ammunition or propellant therefor, or a bow and arrow, except for hunting where permitted by a rule or regulation of a regional park, recreation and historic preservation commission or pursuant to a permit issued according to the provisions of section 376.1(r) of this Title."

Please include the section that refers to the parkway. This could be any location.

OK. Just looked. The document that your section is contained is the following:
    http://nysparks.com/publications/doc...egulations.pdf

Can anyone conclusively affirm if The Lake Ontario State Parkway is a park or is a state highway (thus, NOT part of the parks system as termed in the above referenced document)

Last I checked, the LOSP is a state highway. So, carry and possession IS legal.

Thanks Somesoldier. That's the same sign I saw at Culver Ridge. Can someone look at the Greece location and see if it's there?
    Last edited by RochPersDef; 02-03-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Dave Jenkins,

I believe the sign says its a corp policy so it would include all regal cinemas locations. Also that picture came off another forums page talking about the samething and location.
    Last edited by SomeSoldier; 02-04-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    Can anyone conclusively affirm if The Lake Ontario State Parkway is a park or is a state highway (thus, NOT part of the parks system as termed in the above referenced document)

Last I checked, the LOSP is a state highway. So, carry and possession IS legal.
    Lake Ontario State Parkway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation has jurisdiction over NY 948A (the 0.55-mile connector between the parkway and NY 18 and parts of the parkway mainline..."

Translation: Watch your speed on these roads!

Now...do they consider it 'park property' or just a jurisdictional control thing for taxes or other odd reasoning?

It's hard to omit carry on a highway such as that. I would bet that none of the LEO's that normally patrol even that small stretch would know if the laws would exclude carry there.

And here we go, discussing instead of listing off limits places.....LOL

OK everyone. Back to the guidelines listed in the first post. let's keep this thread streamlined

Let's get the actual, official, definitive word on this and then can the mods clean the thread up?

Dave Jenkins,

Corporal

The culver regal is the only regal in the area I haven't been to, but I have seen the signs myself at the others as well as at the Cinemark theaters. Do we need to provide pictures of every sign?
    Oh I forgot about the (former) fast ferry terminal. Can't get a pic of that sign as photography is also prohibited the last time I was there.

The intent of the thread was to have a running list of actual confirmed places, area, and locations that were off limits. Somewhat like an item by item list where you could scroll down and see the places. The idea was to post actual law links, corporate policies, or photos of signs, not discuss the policies or details, just post the facts.

Seems we have succeeded in not accomplishing that goal. Don't get me wrong, but I am all for discussion, BUT we do need to look at the first post in this thread and then remember what the original thoughts were behind it.

How about everyone email me your places, with confirming information, and DV and I can start a "Sticky" thread where the list will be placed.

Dave Jenkins,

My question:
    I would like some clarification on rules and regulations regarding firearms..

9 CRR-NY 375.1 p 1 states that possession of a firearm is prohibited on property under the jurisdiction, custody and control of the office.

I am having trouble finding if the Lake Ontario State Parkway, which runs from Charlotte, NY in Monroe County to Carlton, NY in Orleans County is under the jurisdiction of the NYS Parks department or not. I'm trying to find out if a legally owned gun is prohibited in a vehicle traveling on the parkway as long as all other laws are being followed.

Thanks for your time,
    Jeff

The parks dept answer (I omitted some names and email addresses where they said if I had additional questions to contact them)
    Dear Jeff:

The Lake Ontario State Parkway is a property under the jurisdiction of the Office of Parks, and is maintained under cooperative agreements with other State agencies. Parks rules and regulations, as found in Title 9, NYCR&R, do apply on the Parkway property.

In response to the question; Firearms are prohibited in State Parks, including the Parkway, except for law enforcement and where allowed by permits issued by the Park Region for legal hunting.
    There you have it.
    Last edited by Jeff; 02-10-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Now, We should all get some of these cards and politely and tactfully hand them out to the 'off limits' places that are the stores or non govt owned places.

No Guns Allowed Cards [ML040] - $5.00 : Molon Labe Shop, Molon Labe Shirts, Decals and More

Maybe we can start a nice dialogue to show them that WE are not the ones to worry about?
    Ragnar Danneskjold likes this.

Dave Jenkins,

Is the Henrietta Gander Mountain request to check your firearms at the front desk appropriate for inclusion here?

No. That's only if you're bringing The gun in for servicing.

Dave Jenkins,

Thanks, that's great to know!

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    OFFICIAL COMPILATION OF CODES, RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK
    TITLE 17. DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
    CHAPTER IV. HIGHWAYS
    SUBCHAPTER C. HIGHWAY USE AND MAINTENANCE

PART 156. USE OF REST AND PARKING AREAS AND SCENIC OVERLOOKS

* Section 156.12.* Firearms and weapons.

(a) At no time shall drawn bows, loaded firearms , loaded air guns, spring guns or other such weapons be permitted in any rest or parking area or scenic overlook, nor shall any bow, firearm , air gun, spring gun or other weapon be discharged for any reason in any rest or parking area or scenic overlook.

(b) This provision shall not apply to peace officers, as defined in section 154 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, or to State police officers, conservation officers or special game protectors.
    Since we already defeated the purpose of thisthread, I will ask a question...is this to say while traveling on NYS Thruway we can't stop at a restarea?
    RPD 46

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast