Vulnerable
Close

Thread: Vulnerable

Default Vulnerable

I'm leaving tomorrow for NC and won't be able to carry due to my CC gun is going to the gunsmith to have some trigger work done. This is my only carry gun so I don't have another to take along and I'm starting to feel like there's a sign pointing at me saying come get me. It's amazing how used to CC you get after a while, I've been carrying everyday now since December and do it out of habit. It's going to feel strange to get dressed without putting on a gun before leaving home. I will need to buy another gun for CC for occasions such as this I guess.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Have a backup of your backups. Have you considered bringing along a trunk gun? Not as easily accessible but better than nothing.

I have but not real comfortable about leaving a gun in the trunk of my car. I will just have to deal with it on this trip but will be looking for a back-up gun soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFirearms.com
    Advertisements

Snub nose revolvers are great for reliability and conceal ability for either a primary or backup CCW. Best part is they are easy to find, relatively inexpensive and great new or used.... Hand to hand combat training, true knife fighting training, and situational awareness training would also help alleviate that feeling of vulnerability. More lives are saved with training and being prepared then from squeezing the trigger.

General

Do you need a non resident permit to carry in NC?

I do carry a knife always (saved my son's life so never without one anymore) and have had Judo training but with back issues any advanced combat training is hard to do now. I don't think I'm really vulnerable, it's just the fact I'm used to carrying it will be weird not to, sorta like driving without a seat belt on after getting used to wearing one (never did before the law requiring us to). I'm going to start looking for a compact 1911 for everyday carry in the summer and use my fullsize in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by loki34 View Post
    I do carry a knife always (saved my son's life so never without one anymore) and have had Judo training but with back issues any advanced combat training is hard to do now. I don't think I'm really vulnerable, it's just the fact I'm used to carrying it will be weird not to, sorta like driving without a seat belt on after getting used to wearing one (never did before the law requiring us to). I'm going to start looking for a compact 1911 for everyday carry in the summer and use my fullsize in the winter.
    I feel ya on it being weird not having that extra weight on the hip or hung on ones side. I was back and forth on the whole seatbelt thing until seeing a video on what bodies do in the cabin post impact w/o belts. Eye opener lol. Spring/summer carry can be a PIA; I stick with my XDS or my LCR when it's not easy to conseal a compact or full size.

If you run into any trouble, just pee on yourself and try to make yourself throw up. That should take care of any life threatening situation you may encounter...

Quote Originally Posted by scsica View Post
    If you run into any trouble, just pee on yourself and try to make yourself throw up. That should take care of any life threatening situation you may encounter...
    Um, I don't know about all that. Maybe in the case of rape but I don't think that's what the OP was speaking of.

HEX

Quote Originally Posted by cgrutt View Post
    I'm not sure if NC offers a non-resident permit but possessing a Utah / Florida / Virginia non-resident permit would allow for legal carry in NC. I believe though that NC is one of relatively few states that actually honor reciprocity with just a NY resident permit as well.

According to the site NC is good to go with NY permit. I will be looking for a secondary CC gun so as to avoid this problem in the future seeing as we now have relatives there to visit.

I don't have that type of problem , I've got five conceal carry guns and am picking up another one this week. It does feel wierd without a sidearm on your hip. I carry everyday and will untill the day I die. My favorite summer carry gun is the S&W 642 airweight 38 + P that I bought as a backup gun. Winter time I prefer my Colt Combat Commander 45.
    Walk Light, Carry a Big Stick & Never Walk Away, Teddy Roosevelt
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4
    NRA, WAC "Washington Arms Collectors"
    1 million people attended Obama's inauguration, but only 14 had to miss work

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

Looks like NC will honor an NY permit...

I haven't carried for all that long (December) so I haven't acquired more than one carry gun. I'm fond of the 1911 platform so will be looking for a reasonably priced compact that could become my year round carry if I like it. It's amazing how quick you get used to having a gun with you, even the wife doesn't say anything when I put it on to just run to the store.

Look at the other side: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf For unlicensed OC see here: North Carolina | OpenCarry.org

North Carolina is an unlicensed OC state, and also recognizes all other states permits

Made it home alive from visiting family in NC without CCing for the week. Had nothing but friendly encounters with the residents down there including two days at the beach.

now you got me thinking that a second PPS should be on order...
    Gun loving family man with never enough time for either. S
    rsylvstr@gmail.com

A person should alway have atleast two conceal carry handguns, I just bought my sixth one last week.
    Walk Light, Carry a Big Stick & Never Walk Away, Teddy Roosevelt
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4
    NRA, WAC "Washington Arms Collectors"
    1 million people attended Obama's inauguration, but only 14 had to miss work

Captain

[QUOTE=............................................ ...... I will need to buy another gun for CC for occasions such as this I guess.[/QUOTE]

Any reason to buy another gun is a good one. Take advantage of it.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by cgrutt View Post
    NC is an open carry for handguns state with restrictions in Cary, NC and Durham County. You may also open carry in your vehicle with the weapon in plain view. If concealed, it must be unloaded with the ammo in a different compartment of the vehicle unless you have a NC concealed carry permit or have a CCP from as state that is recognized (reciprocity) by NC.

Sergeant

Buy one when you get to NC