Close

Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rubline
  • 1 Post By cgrutt

Thread: Can you or Can't you

  1. #1
    Private
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Greene
    Posts
    3

    Default Can you or Can't you

    With a CCW in NYS... is there any law about saying bringing it with you at The EGG or The Palace Theaters... The EGG is in the State Museum .. so I was wondering if that would make it state property and not be allowed... Palace is across from Federal Building and sometimes use that parking lot... I guess the main question other then the normal .. places you can't carry is how do you know? is there a listing somewhere ...

  2. #2
    Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Dutchess Co
    Posts
    689

    Default

    If it's a federal or state building, you can NOT enter with a CCW. Private property owners have the option of posting a sign that says, No Weapons Allowed or something to that nature. If the latter is the case, you can be charged with trespass.
    SomeSoldier likes this.

  3. #3
    Major pseudonymity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Saratoga county
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by efire1 View Post
    With a CCW in NYS... is there any law about saying bringing it with you at The EGG or The Palace Theaters... The EGG is in the State Museum .. so I was wondering if that would make it state property and not be allowed... Palace is across from Federal Building and sometimes use that parking lot... I guess the main question other then the normal .. places you can't carry is how do you know? is there a listing somewhere ...
    The theater is not in the same building as the museum, but I believe the entire ESP complex is state property - museum, plaza, Corning tower, 4 cores and pool area above - so carrying is probably off limits there.

  4. #4
    Major pseudonymity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Saratoga county
    Posts
    1,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubline View Post
    Private property owners have the option of posting a sign that says, No Weapons Allowed or something to that nature. If the latter is the case, you can be charged with trespass.
    You are only trespassing if the owner asks you to leave and you refuse - that holds true no matter the reason they ask you to leave.

    Posting a sign on private property (or even some public property) does not have the force of law in NY - although it does in some other states.

  5. #5
    General cgrutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cornwall, NY
    Posts
    12,755

    Default

    Yeah good question. I'm not sure there's a clear answer. Every time you venture out on a public road you're on state property. No problem there. I thought State Parks was the only issue. Post offices and court houses too but I don't know exactly where in the law it says this. So you couldn't walk into your local PD with a licensed CCW? I would imagine there's a process to disclose and check your pistol but maybe not. Interesting...

    At the end of the day concealed is concealed...

  6. #6
    Major chris22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    1,725

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cgrutt View Post
    Yeah good question. I'm not sure there's a clear answer. Every time you venture out on a public road you're on state property. No problem there. I thought State Parks was the only issue. Post offices and court houses too but I don't know exactly where in the law it says this. So you couldn't walk into your local PD with a licensed CCW? I would imagine there's a process to disclose and check your pistol but maybe not. Interesting...

    At the end of the day concealed is concealed...
    I agree with your point, but if you ever had to use your weapon, you could face years in prison for self defense, I do not know what would be worse, dead or having your reputation and life forever ruined.

  7. #7
    General cgrutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cornwall, NY
    Posts
    12,755

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris22 View Post
    I agree with your point, but if you ever had to use your weapon, you could face years in prison for self defense, I do not know what would be worse, dead or having your reputation and life forever ruined.
    Breathing is better. Only one shot at this rollercoaster.
    ScotchMan likes this.

  8. #8
    Major HighlandLofts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arlington WA.
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    When it comes to carrying in off limit places they shouldhave a lock box or some other form of secure place to hold your firearm until your done at that facility. I stop by the local City cop shop probably three or four times a month. I stay in the lobby part of the building and talk with the people I associate with through the bank like window, you can carry in the lobby, but not inside the actual police department, once you pass through the door from the lobby into the police station your commiting a crime. You have to surrender the vhandgun and they give it back to you when your business is done and you exit the actual police station. They do not have actual lock boxes for your weapon, they take it into a room next to the reception room, and bring it back out when you are leaving. (They never unloaded my handgun and it was always loaded when they returned it to me).

    The County Court House has a different set up, it is located in the County Office Building. When you enter the County Building they have a metal detector located right inside the door. You declare you have a Conceal Carry Permit and a "Loaded Firearm" you place your weapon in a little plastic tote along with your permit, then your change, wallet, keys and anything else in your pockets in another plastic tote that goes through a metal detector, They have actual lock boxes that they put your firearm in and give you back your pistol permit. Upon exiting the building they return your handgun back to you once you exit the secure area. Same as the police station, they never checked the weapon, and it was always loaded when returned. All of my business there has been with the personal office, the Pistol Permit Office and once to the polace that thakes care of the voteing stuff. Once you enter the building you are un-armed, everyone is.

    The post office or any federal building is a huge no-no for carrying a firearm. You'd best to lock it in your vehical before you gain access to their property and leave it locket up until you are off of their property. They have the best security cameras that money can buy and will have your actions on tape and stored. It might be months before you hear anything from them if you did do something illegal. It's not worth taking any chances with testing the waters.

    Here in Washington State Casinos are off limits, I always lock up my handgun before entering the casino property and wait until I get off of their property to secure my handgun unless I hit a decent amount of money, at that time I'll unlock my handgun for easy access if needed, but still in the lock box until I'm off of their property.


    As far as stores & resturaunts they can shove their little anti-gun sticker up their big old democrap ASS! If I have to go into one of these places I go, I will not dis-arm to please their big fat liberal ass. If they ever find out I'm carrying a handgun and ask me to leave, I will but not before viewing my pro-gun attitude. I don't make it a habit of giving these places any of my money, I go to places that treat us like the law abbiding citizens that we are. I also tell people I know to not spend their money at these communist POS establishments. Costco, Chucky Cheese, Toys R Us, Buffalo Wings, any place that has the "NO FIREARMS" signs. No Firearms equals NO MONEY!
    Walk Light, Carry a Big Stick & Never Walk Away, Teddy Roosevelt
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4
    NRA, WAC "Washington Arms Collectors"
    1 million people attended Obama's inauguration, but only 14 had to miss work

  9. #9
    Private
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Greene
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Yeah.. I was thinking the same.... thanks Captain

  10. #10
    Major HighlandLofts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Arlington WA.
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    I think in Ohio if you get caught hunting on posted property it Trespassing with a Deadly Weapon.

    One of the local cops works security at one of the movie thearters, he said 95% of the wonds they use to detect weapons are cheap replicas. He was on vacation and wassurprised that the movie thearter had the real deal, The wond made the noise and they asked him if he had a firearm which he replied yes and the asked him to leave. He asked for the manager and told her that he is a law enforcement officer from Washington State and she told him "Dorthy your not in Kansas any more, NO FIREARMS ALLOWED!"

    If asked to leave it's adviseable to take your business else where. I personally don't like to spend my money at places that support the Democrap Way Of Life, Them Anti 2nd Ammendment pieces of **** can kiss my ****ty ass.


    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonymity View Post
    You are only trespassing if the owner asks you to leave and you refuse - that holds true no matter the reason they ask you to leave.

    Posting a sign on private property (or even some public property) does not have the force of law in NY - although it does in some other states.
    Walk Light, Carry a Big Stick & Never Walk Away, Teddy Roosevelt
    Don't Take Your Guns To Town, Johnny Cash http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMp_llzBT4
    NRA, WAC "Washington Arms Collectors"
    1 million people attended Obama's inauguration, but only 14 had to miss work

  11. #11
    Corporal 19redwings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Wheatfield
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Can anyone shed light on school property?

    We routinely drop off/pick up our daughter. We don't go in, we just pull up and drop her off. Legal?
    Sig Sauer 1911 Nightmare / Springfield XDS 9 / Sig Sauer P226 / Sig Sauer P938 (wifes)

  12. #12
    General RayKnobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    City of Rochester
    Posts
    8,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 19redwings View Post
    Can anyone shed light on school property?

    We routinely drop off/pick up our daughter. We don't go in, we just pull up and drop her off. Legal?
    I believe you can carry on school property with permission.
    If I never got out of the car I wouldn't bother asking anyone.

  13. #13
    Silver Vendor
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    downstate NY < > mid Hudson region
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 19redwings View Post
    Can anyone shed light on school property?

    We routinely drop off/pick up our daughter. We don't go in, we just pull up and drop her off. Legal?

    If you are on school property, it is not legal to carry, except in those rare instances as noted.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •