Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By guygus3516

Thread: Campus cop shoots/kills unarmed naked man

Default Campus cop shoots/kills unarmed naked man

Going from verbal straight to deadly force... no spray? No taser? No baton? The guy is unarmed, naked, sounds like he was either on drugs and/or mentally ill. Sure - he was advancing towards the cop and challenging him to a fist-fight. But having to shoot him? Really?

Campus officer kills naked freshman at South Alabama - CNN.com

If any of us shot an unarmed naked person under the same scenario - we'd be up on Murder 2nd charges.
    According to Fuhrer Cuomo, I am an "extreme fringe conservative". According to Bill Maher, I'm an "ammosexual". F' them. I'm just a regular guy who chooses to arm himself - a sheepdog amongst the sheep - because I never know when the wolf will appear.

Quote Originally Posted by nessman View Post
    Going from verbal straight to deadly force... no spray? No taser? No baton? The guy is unarmed, naked, sounds like he was either on drugs and/or mentally ill. Sure - he was advancing towards the cop and challenging him to a fist-fight. But having to shoot him? Really?

Campus officer kills naked freshman at South Alabama - CNN.com

If any of us shot an unarmed naked person under the same scenario - we'd be up on Murder 2nd charges.
    The cops can get away with worse than that. Review: Birk didn’t have cause believe Williams a threat | Seattle 911 — A Police and Crime Blog - seattlepi.com BTW: Williams was shot in the back, and died...cost the City of Seattle $1.3M and a monument in one of their parks to Williams, but Birk was never charged.

The officer might not have had a taser to use. Spray and a baton maybe but I noticed the article said "muscle bound male" which would lead me to believe there was a disparity of force possibly with the "suspect" being significantly bigger than the officer. Could have been a female cop for all we know.
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm

No calling for backup? The officer may have feared for his/her life for some reason. As we all know IF you have a firearm, and get overpowered, your problem just became life threatening. Most officers don't back down many times like this one did. If he/she felt the need to back off, they were obviously NOT capable of taking control of the situation or they would have. Non-lethal force SHOULD have been tried first for sure. Especialy against a naked guy that clearly was NOT armed. I am a big proponent of every officer going to taser,baton, or spray before ever thinking about lethal force, but I would like to hear more about exactly what happened before drawing my own opinion. Most people, officers included never WANT to kill another human being. Either this was an over reaction because of fear, or the kid kept going for the officers gun. Only two scenarios I could see with the info we have been given by the article.
    Chief of Unicorn and Rainbows Division

Quote Originally Posted by fullmags View Post
    No calling for backup? The officer may have feared for his/her life for some reason. As we all know IF you have a firearm, and get overpowered, your problem just became life threatening. Most officers don't back down many times like this one did. If he/she felt the need to back off, they were obviously NOT capable of taking control of the situation or they would have. Non-lethal force SHOULD have been tried first for sure. Especialy against a naked guy that clearly was NOT armed. I am a big proponent of every officer going to taser,baton, or spray before ever thinking about lethal force, but I would like to hear more about exactly what happened before drawing my own opinion. Most people, officers included never WANT to kill another human being. Either this was an over reaction because of fear, or the kid kept going for the officers gun. Only two scenarios I could see with the info we have been given by the article.
    I agree, it is very difficult to assertain the "what" from the news release....however there is one item that kind of sticks out...This happened in fromt of the campus police station? I don't think backup would be very far away...No?

This is one I don't feel all that bad about. He advanced on the officer multiple times. Drugs or alcohol probably were a factor, but I am positive that no one forced it on the guy. Everything he did was his choice. One more idiot gone. It's the people sitting in their cars or their homes who get rushed and murdered that I feel for.
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

Wasn't the guy on bath salts (Miami) who ate half a homeless man's face off also naked? Not that I'm certain that this is another bath salts incident, but it could have been. Knowing that information, still can't let your guard down just because clothes are completely lacking.
    NYS/FL CCW
    --------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of those who threaten to destroy it.

BANNED

Part of me can understand the idea of dealdy force when someone is charging you, but most cops have a taser and pepper spray. I was not there, but I would think deadly force could have been avoided. Reality though is you charge a cop and this will probalby happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenret View Post
    Drugs or alcohol probably were a factor, but I am positive that no one forced it on the guy. Everything he did was his choice.
    Never heard about college kids slipping drugs to people? I'm not saying this is the case but it has happened.
    "If I could have banned them all - 'Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns' - I would have!"
    - Diane Feinstein
    (I love Diane, that sexy angel)

Quote Originally Posted by ECU Pirates View Post
    Never heard about college kids slipping drugs to people? I'm not saying this is the case but it has happened.
    It's always slipped to you in your drink, right? Rule 1 for college, never ever ever let your drink out of your hand. That's been known for 20 + years.
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

Private

Sounds like suicide by cop to me a copycat of the bath salt face bandit. If I was in my yard and a naked man charged me I'd shot him. It could be Bath salts or human rabies ya never know .

Quote Originally Posted by Degenret View Post
    It's always slipped to you in your drink, right? Rule 1 for college, never ever ever let your drink out of your hand. That's been known for 20 + years.
    Not always, but it does happen. You said this "He advanced on the officer multiple times. Drugs or alcohol probably were a factor, but I am positive that no one forced it on the guy."

So you know he advanced the guy (police say so, must be true) and are positive that no one forced it on the guy. Were you with him? The only thing we know for sure is a naked college student was killed.

That being said you are most likely correct that it was drugs and he he took them knowingly. Usally the drugs in a drink thing have the opposite effect on people (date rape drugs). The reason I brought up drugs being given unknowingly is because it happened to someone I know when I was in college. I saw what it can do to someone. It was scary.
    "If I could have banned them all - 'Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns' - I would have!"
    - Diane Feinstein

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
    Wasn't the guy on bath salts (Miami) who ate half a homeless man's face off also naked? Not that I'm certain that this is another bath salts incident, but it could have been. Knowing that information, still can't let your guard down just because clothes are completely lacking.
    I believe toxicology later showed that the face eating guy was not on bath salts.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I agree, it is very difficult to assertain the "what" from the news release....however there is one item that kind of sticks out...This happened in fromt of the campus police station? I don't think backup would be very far away...No?
    This occurred at like 130 in the morning. That officer night have been the only one on duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlyan Pan View Post
    I believe toxicology later showed that the face eating guy was not on bath salts.
    Yeah I think you're right. In fact I think I remember it showed no drugs of the caliber that would make you act like he did. I think he was just crazy.
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by waldershrek View Post
    This occurred at like 130 in the morning. That officer night have been the only one on duty.

Yeah I think you're right. In fact I think I remember it showed no drugs of the caliber that would make you act like he did. I think he was just crazy.
    I don't think they can really test for the synthetic stuff (bath salts) that well. He very well might have been on some sort of synthetic drug. We will never know I guess.
    - Diane Feinstein

I would never attack someone with my junk out, you could get charged with attempted rape! Or assault with a deadly weapon!
    cor_man257 likes this.