Close

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Catfish787
  • 1 Post By JMD

Thread: Mall Shooting CCW user may have saved lives?

Default Mall Shooting CCW user may have saved lives?

Anyone hear about Nick Meli?

He was at the shopping mall in Oregon when he heard the shooting. So he, having a concealed weapons permit, drew his gun since he was close to the gunman. He lined up hit shot and had his front sight on the gunman. However, he decided not to shoot because he saw people behind the gunman running in all the panic and did not want to shoot them in the crossfire. So he made the conscious decision not to shoot the gunman.

The gunman, however, did look right at Nick Meli and noticed he had a gun. That is when the gunman retreated to the stairwell and killed himself.

So... quite possibly, Nick Meli may have saved the lives of others by showing that other people in the mall were packing heat. It seems logical too, because why would he have ran away into a stairwell and kill himself immediately after he saw Nick Meli? Look at the statistics for these types of shootings too.... the gunman usually kills more than a dozen people and he only killed 2 before committing suicide?

Finally, I do believe Nick Meli made the right decision to not shoot the guy in all of the chaos. He knew that he could have easily killed an innocent civilian in all of the confusion. He was able to keep his wits about him and make the right decision. Possibly one that led the gunman to commit suicide.

LinksHere:

Citizen With Concealed Carry Permit May Have Saved Lives During Oregon Mall Shooting | The Lonely Conservative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD52I...layer_embedded

Of course, you don't hear about this in the mainstream liberal news, now do you?
    Last edited by Catfish787; 12-16-2012 at 04:02 AM.
    JMD and sr20sean like this.

"He could have killed innocent people."

Or he could have not taken the shot, and had the gunman kill many more people.

We weren't there and don't know the situation, but that is a lame excuse. Glad he may have stopped something, but I don't really like the explanation.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Diver. Dives- ​54. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

We don't, can't, and will never know if the sight of an armed person was in some way responsible for the shooter killing himself when he did. I absolutely believe in giving credit where due, but we don't know if credit is due. He certainly deserves some for drawing and trying to scope the situation out rather than just running away.
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

JMD
    Sergeant

This gives credence to what I said here that rampage shooters are usually cowards looking for defenseless victims. It usually doesn't take much resistance to stop them.

We'll never know for sure if Nick Meli was the reason the shooter stopped his rampage, but it seems that there's a good chance of it, given the circumstances. His decision not to shoot was risky but turned out to be the best option given the outcome.
    eagleridge357 likes this.
    For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
    -Henry Louis Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by JMD View Post
    This gives credence to what I said here that rampage shooters are usually cowards looking for defenseless victims. It usually doesn't take much resistance to stop them.

We'll never know for sure if Nick Meli was the reason the shooter stopped his rampage, but it seems that there's a good chance of it, given the circumstances. His decision not to shoot was risky but turned out to be the best option given the outcome.
    Yes, I could see why he hesitated and did not shoot because of people behind the shooter but keeping an eye on an object 20 feet ahead of you or whatever it was (didn't read it) and probably not paying too much attention to 5 feet in front of himself , and his periferal was probably non existent. Someone could have run past him between Nick and the shooter and been killed too, by Nick. And that is the last thing any of us would want to hear.

Withholding fire to prevent collateral damage (people in the background) was a smart move. I'm sure if he had a clean shot - he would have taken it.
    According to Fuhrer Cuomo, I am an "extreme fringe conservative". According to Bill Maher, I'm an "ammosexual". F' them. I'm just a regular guy who chooses to arm himself - a sheepdog amongst the sheep - because I never know when the wolf will appear.

I believe he deserves credit. In almost every case where there's an active shooter they've killed themselves or outright given up when faced with opposition. The only reason the guy in the recent shooting killed himself was he heard the first responders arriving, then we have the mall shooting, columbine, aurora etc.