New York Firearms Forum banner

How YOUR Rep voted for Cuomo's SAFE Act

8K views 34 replies 31 participants last post by  pmoney 
#1 ·
My Rep is Al Stirpe who voted YES. I have contacted him to let him know my disappointment:

Mr. Stirpe.

I voted for you. I am disappointed in your vote on S2230-2013 which goes too far with regard to weakening my 2nd Amendment rights.

I expected you and others to demand a longer period of referendum. I am angered you have chosen to utilize the "opportunity" of the recent gun tragedies to further an obvious anti gun agenda as a means to grab limelight for self gain. I do not want my laws to be made this way and I am ashamed to be represented by those who do.

Going forward, I expect you to vote to rectify aspects of this "law" which do nothing to make us safer and do more to punish those who would follow such a "law."

Joe C

--
I suggest you contact your rep also. You can start here:

New York State Assembly - Member Section

------------------------------------
Here is the vote tally:

Bills

S02230 Votes:

BILL:S02230 DATE:01/15/2013 MOTION: YEA/NAY:104/43

Abbate Y Clark Y Gantt Y Kavanag Y McKevit Y Raia NO Solages Y
Abinant Y Colton Y Garbari NO Kearns NO McLaugh NO Ramos Y Stec NO
Arroyo Y Cook Y Gibson Y Kellner Y Miller Y Reilich NO Steck Y
Aubry Y Corwin NO Giglio NO Kim Y Millman Y Rivera ER Stevens Y
Barclay NO Crespo ER Gjonaj Y Kolb NO Montesa NO Roberts Y Stirpe Y
Barrett Y Crouch NO Glick Y Lalor NO Morelle Y Robinso Y Sweeney Y
Barron Y Curran Y Goldfed Y Lavine Y Mosley Y Rodrigu Y Tedisco NO
Benedet Y Cusick Y Goodell NO Lentol Y Moya Y Rosa Y Tenney NO
Blanken NO Cymbrow Y Gottfri Y Lifton Y Nojay NO Rosenth Y Thiele Y
Borelli NO DenDekk Y Graf NO Lope PD NO Nolan Y Rozic Y Titone Y
Boyland Y Dinowit Y Gunther NO Lope VJ Y Oaks NO Russell Y Titus Y
Braunst Y DiPietr NO Hawley NO Losquad Y O'Donne Y Ryan Y Walter NO
Brennan Y Duprey NO Heastie Y Lupardo NO Ortiz Y Saladin NO Weinste Y
Brindis NO Englebr Y Henness Y Lupinac Y Otis Y Santaba Y Weisenb Y
Bronson Y Espinal Y Hevesi Y Magee NO Palmesa NO Scarbor Y Weprin Y
Brook K Y Fahy Y Hikind Y Magnare Y Paulin Y Schimel Y Wright Y
Buchwal Y Farrell Y Hooper Y Maisel Y Peoples Y Schimmi NO Zebrows Y
Butler NO Finch NO Jacobs Y Malliot Y Perry Y Sepulve Y Mr Spkr Y
Cahill Y Fitzpat ER Jaffee Y Markey Y Pretlow Y Simanow Y
Camara Y Friend NO Johns NO Mayer Y Quart Y Simotas Y
Castro Y Gabrysz NO Jordan NO McDonal Y Ra Y Skartad Y
Ceretto NO Galef Y Katz NO McDonou Y Rabbitt NO Skoufis NO

See less See more
#2 ·
For those of us in Western New York...I put together a little flier of Senators and Assemblymen who represent districts located in the greater WNY area, and how they voted on the bill.

I didn't have time to make a flier with information on ALL NY Senators and Assemblymen, but I'd like to put one together moving forward.

I've spoken to several people who, before this week, had no idea which Senate/Assembly district they lived in. I put this together for THOSE people...to make it easier for them to find out who they need to contact.

These people are supposed to work for us. They can't be expected to do that unless we tell 'em what we want them to do.
We can't tell 'em what we want if we don't know who they are.

Hopefully these help:

I've uploaded these as a PDF, if you want to download/print/share them:
http://freepdfhosting.com/72186c0d36.pdf

Attachments

#3 · (Edited)
My State Senator Jack Martins a Republican who stated how criminals and the mentally ill were responsible for gun crimes and not law abiding citizens voted YES which is totally opposite to his reported statements in the past. Looks like he caved to Cuomo. I asked him why he voted to take law abiding citizens rights to self defense away. In his response he didn't answer my question, so I sent him a second e-mail today asking him the same thing and how he will vote when the SAFE ACT amendment comes up. I also e-mailed my State Assemblywoman Michelle Schimel who's a left wing democratic anti gun liberal the same e-mail, but I don't put much hope in hearing from her.

#7 ·
#20 ·
I button-holed my Senator (Breslin, Albany, D) and told him that this new chapter represented to me a "taking" in that my 10-round .22 LR target pistol was being made obsolete. His response was "It was the Governor's bill and it's his law".

I told him I didn't care whose it was (presuming that he had voted for it, which he did), it had to be fixed for this absurd arbitrary and capricious limit of magazine load sizes for purely recreational firearms. He agreed that there were problems and changed the subject.

#12 ·
My Rep is Al Stirpe who voted YES. I have contacted him to let him know my disappointment:
Mine too... I ran into him at the Post Office on Taft Road this weekend - wanted to tear him a new assh0le for his vote on the unSAFE act - but decided he was too much of a lost cause to bother.

His election victories in a district that was once safe Republican territory are the result of a LOT of democrat party campaign money from Albany so he knows where his loyalties lie.

#14 ·
Libous (sen) and Crouch (rep) which voted No and HELL no respectively.

I also knew Seward would be a no. He's Jim Losies brother in law for God's sake.

#16 ·
day after the bill passed i wrote Catherine Young thanking her for not supporting this farce of a law. Not long after i got a two page letter from her. It is most impressive what she had to say, and how she urged me to contact the governor, and join the class action law suits proposed / pending against this bill.

#17 ·
Iam Very Happy to say all my reps Voted NO, and I did Vote for them in their pass Elections. I did e-mailed them thanking them for Voting NO. They each e-mailed me giving me the reasons why they Voted No, I can't ask for better reps. Will Vote for them again.

#19 ·
letters to our reps

It would be great if someone on this forum that is far more articulate than I am could put together a couple of form letters. One letter that could be emailed (or mailed) to thank them for voting NO. A second letter to email or mail to ream our rep a new butt hole for voting YES.

#23 · (Edited)
My Assemblymen and Senator are Ceretto and Maziarz respectively, both No votes. Up until re-districting that POS Grisanti was my Senator. I cant WAIT until I get the chance to volunteer for whomever is his primary challenger!

IMOO the upstate Senators that need to be targeted during the 2014 election cycle are Grisanti, Kennedy and Valskey. Grisanti can be taken care ov via primary since he has a safe Republican district. Kennedy and Valskey are tougher since they represent the ****ties of Buffalo and Syracuse and have majority Democrat districts.

#25 ·
My state senator and assemblywoman both voted yes with great enthusiasm and will easily be reelected. I'm tired of feeling disenfranchised. I am thinking of registering as a Democrat so I can at least vote in primaries, which are the de facto general elections here.

#27 ·
Down in Rockland, I'm represented by Carlucci, at least until the next election. He voted aye, and is yet to respond to an email I sent saying that I'm not waiting until my deer rifle is suddenly a 'Sniper Rifle' because some arbitrary laws say so.

Previously, I was not active politically (I was still registered where I went to college in Livingston, where I graduated 2008), but I will no longer be passive. I don't think we can make NYS count in the federal elections due to the electoral college and how liberal this state is, but we can certainly act at a state level.

I don't think I'm alone and there are many other citizens pushed to action. I hope they woke a sleeping giant in the electorate, and it's filled with terrible resolve.

#33 ·
Down in Rockland, I'm represented by Carlucci, at least until the next election. He voted aye, and is yet to respond to an email I sent saying that I'm not waiting until my deer rifle is suddenly a 'Sniper Rifle' because some arbitrary laws say so.

Previously, I was not active politically (I was still registered where I went to college in Livingston, where I graduated 2008), but I will no longer be passive. I don't think we can make NYS count in the federal elections due to the electoral college and how liberal this state is, but we can certainly act at a state level.

I don't think I'm alone and there are many other citizens pushed to action. I hope they woke a sleeping giant in the electorate, and it's filled with terrible resolve.
Well, in theory we could change it, but with the Democrat controlled Legislature it'll never happen. Electors are assigned by the states, it just happens that most states do winner take all. We could join the other 2 states that assign electors based on congressional districts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.