Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Amendments to SAFE Act 5-23-13 Assembly session.

www.tresmondlaw.com MaximillianTresmond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RayKnobs View Post
    They still have to register and qualify every three years.
    I wonder what happens if you fail to qualify, do they take your mags on the spot?
    If experience is to be our guide, these people will probably receive a letter in the mail telling them to turn their magazines in to the police.

This Amendment process to Safe Act has pissed me off, that I needed to add to what I 1st stated. disGruntled privileged is the key word in your post, they are given a bone,a bisket, and a privilege grant to them that was taken away from all of us. If Safe Act could be changed for the exemptions I see no reason why not one of our Senators have been busy getting our rights back which is unconsitutional.
    I see not one thing more important in New York State courts ,than the injustice delt to its people and trambling of our rights, and now all men are not equal, If anything is more pressing at the Courts I don't see it. I know it takes time but hell Time has past by giving the Assembely Time to pass exemptions, The court needs to remember everyday that passes by with our rights taken and they do nothing.
    Remember the retired LEO is now the person who will turn you in for the $500 because he or she is no longer in the same boat they are exempt.
    The other thing is the NYSP are the only police not out public as against Safe Act, They have been enforcing it. Listen good to the guy removed in NJ, by the NJ State Police Officer said Iam only doing my Job, So NYSP are not to blame for enforcing Safe Act, Bull $hit ! Any LEO or NYSP Officer that arrests a NY citizen on a Safe Act Charge is a scab, bottom feeding piece of garbage out for themselfs.To know what your enforcing on your fellow man knowing in full it is Unconstituional and claim your are just doing your job is not a valid excuse. Its Cuomo $ss kisser that choose sides and are making it harder on us, will you ever look at them in a good light when Safe Act is Repealed.
    Last edited by Huntscreek; 05-23-2013 at 06:07 PM.
    WackJob and badbowtie like this.
    S.C.O.P.E, GOA. NRA, American Defender & Protector of the Constitution.
    ONE MAN'S DREAM TO RULE HAS BECOME MANY AMERICAN'S NIGHTMARE !

Quote Originally Posted by Robhimself View Post
    As long as you register and keep qualifying.
    Register where? New at this. Thanks for any info you can give.
    You have the rest of your life to get this right; How long that is, is directly up to you!

Train like you Fight; Fight like you Train.

This is dumb. Either you are with us or not, cut the selfish **** out.

This bill is selfish.
    Hardrada likes this.
    Knives, guitars, drums, beer and guns. You know, freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    Why is everyone one about "I don't think Darthgamer should have..."?

Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by goperfect View Post
    Register where? New at this. Thanks for any info you can give.
    I don't know what they mean by register, but you'd have to qualify with whatever firearm you plan on carrying. I'd read through the LEOSA stuff pretty good. Probably not the thread for this, but see if any of the retired guys on here can shed more light on it. I'm not up to speed on it.
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts andminds will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    That doesn't even make any sense. xD
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Nitrox Diver. Dives- ​59. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Dam this Crap needs to get in the courts already!
    Huntscreek likes this.
    You are with our Constitution or you are with the Terrorists!

You know if you guys blow up at every little thing you will have ne energy left to blow up at the big things. I know one thing for sure: life is not fair.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    John Wayne in "Shootest"

It rains on the just and the unjust. Life is what you live, it isn't fair or unfair, that is a distinction reserved for people.
    Robin

I don't think retired or active duty Leos should have the ability to carry more than any other law abiding citizen. Which means there should be no capacity limits at all. The only law we need in place is that convicted felons and certain violent misdemeanor offenses are auto magic dq's for owning a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Therberg View Post
    I couldn't have said it any better!!!
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace;"

All statements and opinions made here are for discussion purposes only, and not meant to promote any illegal behavior or activity.

Us vs them, that's how Cuomo wants it! And its bull****!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Shoot View Post
    I have a feeling this is being done to create yet more division amongst us and the LEO's. I sure as hell hope not.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace;"

All statements and opinions made here are for discussion purposes only, and not meant to promote any illegal behavior or activity.

Major

Arizona is a very gun friendly state, both politically and among it's citizens, do the law abiding citizens in Arizona or other gun friendly States have this animosity between Leo 's and the civilians?

Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post
    Since 10 rounds are enough to defend yourself (ask NYSAFE act), then why do retired LEO need more rounds? They act in no official capacity. Why does a retired cop need more bullets than a regular joe?
    I thought they are limited to 10 rounds?
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    That doesn't even make any sense. xD
    It does for the rest of us!

Major

Quote Originally Posted by goperfect View Post
    Thank ypu very much for this information. As a Military Ploice officer, i was unaware that I fell into this law. This is some of the best news I have heard. Cool, I can carry big mags and go everywhere.
    BE CAREFUL with the LEOSA. It now covers MP's and other military law enforcement but LEOSA may or may not cover magazines. Some states (via their attorney general or courts) say the magazine is part of the gun but many say it does not cover mag capacity. NYS has a military exception:

(d) Persons in the military or other service of the United States, in pursuit of official duty or when duly authorized by federal law, regulation or order to possess the same.

But not all states (like MA or CT )may have one. Also LEOSA does not exempt you from the
    school gun free zone law.

If you retire and met the qualifications of a retired officer section of the law, and still in NY
    Beware of these security companies claiming they can qualify you for LEOSA. Even if the instructor has
    the certifications to teach firearms to law enforcement, NYS says they can not qualify retirees or
    active officers unless the instructor currently employed by a law enforcement department.

The requals are a pain in the A@@ to get done in some areas of New York so you might not lose the law
    enforcement support. The excuse to give retiree's the exemption is that they were trained by the government
    with high cap magazines and in a shooting you revert to your training. They were "afraid" a retiree who get
    killed because he was "trained" with more than seven.
    tripwirez likes this.

Major

Quote Originally Posted by tripwirez View Post
    I don't know what they mean by register, but you'd have to qualify with whatever firearm you plan on carrying. I'd read through the LEOSA stuff pretty good. Probably not the thread for this, but see if any of the retired guys on here can shed more light on it. I'm not up to speed on it.

They mean if you have an assault rifle, you have to register it as if you were like every other victim of the SAFE act

Private

For those of you who don't know what LEOSA is, I'll break it down for you, as I'm retired LEO and do qualify yearly for this. The law states that you have to pass the NYS, or whatever state you live in, Police Firearms standards. You register with with whatever agency you are doing the qual with. For me, it's the Rockland County Sheriifs Dept. They issue you a yearly ID card, and if you are stopped by on duty LEO, they can call the SHerrifs Dept. to verify. Magazine capacity was always a gray area in terms of the LEOSA, because it was never specifically stated in the act itself. Some states said mag was part of the gun whereas here in communist NY, its obviously not the case. The 50 rd qualifying course of fire was designed around the 15 rd mag. and is difficult to do with 10 rd mags due to the course being timed. My feeling on this new Bill, is to get the LEO, active and retired, off Cuomo's back. This would never have passed in the Assembly like it did if Cuomo hadn't given it his nod. Sure I would love to carry my 15 rounders again, but I feel that if u can pass the scrutiny of getting a pistol permit in this overly - regulated state then you should be able to carry the magazine that was originally designed for your weapon, not one made specifically made for the state of New York. If you guys have any other questions about LEOSA feel free to ask. I am not saying I'm an expert, but being familiar with it, I might be able to answer some questions.
    mpcos likes this.

Thanks for the insight Rob. I got a long way to go before I have to worry about that (hopefully), but good to know.
    If you've got them by the balls their hearts andminds will follow.

If your retired LEO that and carried a "six shooter" (Lentol) that was not trained on an AR or glock you can't get one. This is another bandade on the bleeding Safe Act, more Cuomoism. This Law will have patch after patch until its repealed. Yes "They"Cuomo followers are trying to separate LEOS and New York Gunowners, its those (LEOS) that choose to follow Cuomo or stand with us. For all LEOS still in the fight with us Thankj you. I do feel many have jumped ship once Cuomo gave them a different set of rights than us, We need all to suport and none to enforce Safe Act if we are to win! Once you go Cuomo you picked, and yes that is clearly picking sides !! So yes there is a us & them at that point.

Here is how they Voted, Iam very unhappy with Assemblymen Finch on his yes vote. Call or e-mail your Assemblymen & Senator as to are all men equal.
    A06356ARelates to exempting qualified retired law enforcement officers from certain limitations related to the possession of firearms
    • DATE: 05/23/2013 YEA/NAY: 116/13

Abbate Y Colton Y Garbari Y Kearns Y Millman Y Rivera ER Stevens Y
      Abinant AB Cook Y Gibson ER Kellner Y Montesa Y Roberts Y Stirpe Y
      Arroyo Y Corwin Y Giglio Y Kim Y Morelle Y Robinso Y Sweeney Y
      Aubry Y Crespo ER Gjonaj Y Kolb Y Mosley Y Rodrigu ER Tedisco NO
      Barclay Y Crouch NO Glick Y Lalor NO Moya Y Rosa Y Tenney ER
      Barrett Y Curran Y Goldfed ER Lavine Y Nojay NO Rosenth Y Thiele Y
      Barron Y Cusick Y Goodell Y Lentol Y Nolan Y Rozic Y Titone Y
      Benedet Y Cymbrow Y Gottfri Y Lifton Y Oaks Y Russell Y Titus Y
      Blanken NO DenDekk Y Graf Y Lopez NO O'Donne Y Ryan Y Walter Y
      Borelli Y Dinowit ER Gunther Y Lupardo Y Ortiz Y Saladin Y Weinste ER
      Boyland ER DiPietr Y Hawley NO Lupinac ER Otis Y Santaba Y Weisenb Y
      Braunst Y Duprey Y Heastie ER Magee Y Palmesa ER Scarbor ER Weprin Y
      Brennan Y Englebr Y Henness Y Magnare Y Paulin ER Schimel Y Wright Y
      Brindis Y Espinal Y Hevesi Y Maisel Y Peoples Y Schimmi Y Zebrows Y
      Bronson Y Fahy Y Hikind ER Malliot Y Perry Y Sepulve Y Mr Spkr Y
      Brook-K Y Farrell ER Hooper Y Markey Y Pretlow Y Simanow Y
      Buchwal Y Finch Y Jacobs Y Mayer Y Quart Y Simotas Y
      Butler NO Fitzpat NO Jaffee Y McDonal Y Ra Y Skartad Y
      Cahill Y Friend NO Johns Y McDonou Y Rabbitt Y Skoufis Y
      Camara Y Gabrysz Y Jordan Y McKevit Y Raia Y Solages Y
      Ceretto Y Galef Y Katz NO McLaugh NO Ramos Y Stec NO
      Clark ER Gantt Y Kavanag Y Miller Y Reilich Y Steck Y

Good Man Hawley, Good Man...
    You are with our Constitution or you are with the Terrorists!

General

Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post
    Since 10 rounds are enough to defend yourself (ask NYSAFE act), then why do retired LEO need more rounds? They act in no official capacity. Why does a retired cop need more bullets than a regular joe?
    That Sir, Is a great fking question.!!

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Holdover View Post
    That Sir, Is a great fking question.!!
    Asked and answered by the chief of the NYSP. How many rounds you need for self defense is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is how many rounds you're giving to your attacker when they inevitably take your gun away from you.

General

"They"Cuomo followers are trying to separate LEOS and New York Gunowners, its those (LEOS) that choose to follow Cuomo or stand with us

I dont think that is going to work out to well , Most people who disagree with the law do so because its fundamentally un constitutional. If he thinks hes going to ""buy Back"" Leos that were banned because he doesnt know what the fuk he was talking about in the first place, is in for an eye opening experience when it comes time to vote. All of these guys have brothers friends cousins uncles Dads, that will be in violation of the law and subject to possible arrest because Cuomo the **** is a self serveing moron.Once again this ass, demonstrates for the whole world to see that he only cares about himself and his votes. Giveing retired cops special privledges does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to ensure the safty of anyone in NY except retired cops.

(of course Im not against retired cops haveing arms,nor anyone else, but I feel the law should appy to everyone equally)
    Last edited by Holdover; 05-24-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast