Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gun burglary in Norwich NY

Default Gun burglary in Norwich NY

The Evening Sun | Police in search of firearms burglary suspectThis guy has balls. Trooper barracks are 1/2 mile from this place. This is my go to LGS. Hope they can survive all this.
    I guess this guy forgot he needs NICS check. See the SAFE act works. Oh and FUAC!

Sounds like he only got away with a few .22's. The store should be fine.
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by waldershrek View Post
    Sounds like he only got away with a few .22's. The store should be fine.
    Ha, I think he got away with a total of 22 handguns, plus...
    The Gun Forum is to talk about guns, Not Politics!

Certain fundamental rights are protected by the Constitution, put outside government’s reach, including the right to keep and bear arms

22 handguns was initial report. Maybe they meant .22 handguns?

This may make it more clear:

State police investigating gun thefts in Norwich | NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | Local News

unless of course the reporter from WKTV doesn't know what a .22 handgun is...

Major

Not a bad gun store,they just need to be a little more nicer to new people.We was working over there a couple years back and stopped in.Very cold reception ,seemed like a clicky place.Looked like a good inventory from what i seen though.Little far for me to go unless i could not find what i wanted here.Hope he recovers and continues to do buisiness which im sure he will
    "A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty."

CoC= Phelon

Whoops, I failed at reading comprehension. Yeah 22 handguns would probably hurt them. I wonder if they have insurance for this kind of thing?
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm

Unfortunately for that LGS, they are now likely to get a comprehensive rectal exam by state and Federal authorities for "letting" those guns get stolen.

Lots and lots of liberals want gun owners and gun stores to be the criminals rather than the scumbags that do the thieving, and this mindset is pervasive in BATF, etc.

Its ALWAYS the gun owner or gun store's fault.
    "My soul is among lions; I must lie among those who breathe forth fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows and their tongue a sharp sword." Psalm 57:4

"Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." -Major General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by SJ42 View Post
    Not a bad gun store,they just need to be a little more nicer to new people.We was working over there a couple years back and stopped in.Very cold reception ,seemed like a clicky place.Looked like a good inventory from what i seen though.Little far for me to go unless i could not find what i wanted here.Hope he recovers and continues to do buisiness which im sure he will

Good inventory. Maybe a little cold at first, but I take that as not being pushy. I have bought 5 guns from there and had them accept a transfer. Pretty helpful overall.

What are your favorite shops? Would like to check them out

Private

bought my rifle there and was happy with them. bought lots of ammo too over the years. hope they catch the bastard

looks like most of the guns are found with 1 in custody and the NYSP looking for 2nd person

The Evening Sun | UPDATE: Man wanted for questioning in gun burglary
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ III%
    Member Sons of Liberty, OATHKEEPERS, AMERICAN LEGION, NRA, GOA, SCOPE.
    In Memoriam of the 2,722,991 dead and 38,159 MIA U.S Soldiers They gave all for us, lets not forget why
    The warning shot is when I shoot the S.O.B. charging through the door in front of you!

I went in there a few times. There stuck up and over priced.

Glad to hear this!

WAY overpriced and not the kind of place that I wish to spend my hard earned money. Zero competition in the area which means they can and DO charge whatever they want and treat their customers as poorly as they want. Used to live in the Norwich area and gave them many chances to earn my business, never came close and they never pretended to give a **** either.

Looks like they snapped his picture in the act...that made things easier. If I had a gun shop, I believe I would invest in a few good safes and lock up everything after closing.

I was in Mayhoods on the 6th. I was getting a feel for some 1911s, and bought a sling for my turkey gun. I don't buy guns there, but I go there to see what I might like. If he got in there, no way he only took a little. They have an enourmous selection. Overpriced, but the people behind the counter are generally decent. My parents have known Mike for a long time. I interviewed there when I was a teen to get a job helping with the paintball fields.

Chenango county meme's says they caught the guy because he was wearing the same hoodie in his FB profile picture, and lived close to the store. Not trust worthy news, but kind of amusing.
    Last edited by cor_man257; 01-09-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    "If it's time to bury your guns then it's time to dig them up."
    OIF/OND Veteran. US Army. NY National Guard.
    Pretend this is fancy latin that means something nostolgic yet strangely applicable today.

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Chenango county meme's says they caught the guy because he was wearing the same hoodie in his FB profile picture, and lived close to the store. Not trust worthy news, but kind of amusing.
    haha yep, I saw that as well. dumba**

last time I was in town I stopped by mayhoods & heading due north, their selection was very small, mostly glocks & I discovered the two bearded mechanic guys on tanner hill who are selling firearms now (also a small selection - and their name escapes me)

no idea if mayhoods as a safe for all the pistol inventory but I could see how it would be easy to grab many in one shot. the police report said he went twice!

Hey, andy boy!!!! How come your "SAFE ACT" didn't prevent that? And for that matter, why didn't all the "gun control" laws in New York State prevent that either?

Quote Originally Posted by blovis View Post
    haha yep, I saw that as well. dumba**

last time I was in town I stopped by mayhoods & heading due north, their selection was very small, mostly glocks & I discovered the two bearded mechanic guys on tanner hill who are selling firearms now (also a small selection - and their name escapes me)

no idea if mayhoods as a safe for all the pistol inventory but I could see how it would be easy to grab many in one shot. the police report said he went twice!
    Dave at Heading Due North has always had a small selection mostly Glocks, but the "know it all" attitude and telling me what I want gets old. Mayhood's selection has really stepped up. I hadn't been there since last spring (and I happen to stop in the afternoon before the robbery), but the amount of long guns they had was pretty astonishing. There handgun selection wasn't gander moutain, but it was definitly respectable. Glocks, 1911s, .22s, ploymers, steel, full size, compacts, 45s 9s, revolvers, new, used. Prices are still abit steep.

I haven't been to the place on tanner hill. They keep odd hours and seem to be mostly by appointment. I don't really have money to spend right now, I just like to browse. I don't want to setup an appointment just to look around there shop. My old man talked with them and told me they build guns. Sounds awesome. I'll get over there eventually.

There is going to be a gun store in South New Berlin opening this summer. Guy has his FFL but is waiting on state permits.
    blovis likes this.
    "If it's time to bury your guns then it's time to dig them up."
    OIF/OND Veteran. US Army. NY National Guard.
    Pretend this is fancy latin that means something nostolgic yet strangely applicable today.

Dear Prince Cuomo
    The passage of your safe act was the MOST important law that has been passed in this great progressive state which will eventually lead the rest.
    After this incident in Norwich where this fine gentlemen,tax paying law abiding citizen managed with just his sheer courage alone acquire many assualt weapons and will register all these weapons and use them for the benefit of the public only tells me that you are a not only a true leader but a wise one. In the name of public safety i thank you sincerly for your wisdom and always thinking of my and my family's well being.

Signed: From an ex law abiding citizen/now felon thanks to the safe act FUAC

A little into this that isn't in the papers. The trooper barracks that is right down the road is not a 24hr barracks. Sheriffs department seems to be a little thin at night. Alarm went off and closest Sheriff's deputy has in Smithville, NY. That is 13 miles away. He must have been working with someone that has a brain because they knew the response time. The waited for the sheriff's department to finish up and hit the second time. All but 4 of the guns have been recovered as of yesterday afternoon. They were sold to a drug dealer in Binghamton. Mayhood's did nothing wrong and I don't see how the state can come down on them as the NYSP barracks is right there but clearly wasn't manned at the right time. I have been in many LGS's around the country and have found Mayhood's to treat newbies much better than most! He is a little high in price but he also employees quite a few people and they have the stock that many others don't.
    cor_man257 and blovis like this.
    Memberships:
    NRA
    S.C.O.P.E.
    2nd Amendment Foundation
    NYSRPA

Major

Quote Originally Posted by dairyfarmer View Post
    Good inventory. Maybe a little cold at first, but I take that as not being pushy. I have bought 5 guns from there and had them accept a transfer. Pretty helpful overall.

What are your favorite shops? Would like to check them out
    I suppose most little town LGSs are a little cold to a new face at first.I guess i understand that .I probably would go to Mayhoods more if i was closer.I do most of my stuff at Losies in Oneonta.I imagine the first time i was in there he was probably a little cold as well.The more ya buy i guess the more they like ya,lol,imagine that.Losies is kinda small,usually has a pretty good selection.Seems all the guns i have bought have been spontaneous buys so i dont go looking for something.If i stop and he has something i like ill get it so selection is not a huge deal for me.

Glad to her they caught this scumbag in Norwich and i hope Mayhoods recovers and continues on.

First i had heard about the new one coming to S New Berlin,ill have to keep eyes open for that.
    "A truly rich man is one whose children run into his arms when his hands are empty."

CoC= Phelon

Sergeant

I've found the ammo prices and some (new) gun prices to be competitive. But used guns? FORGET about it. They seem to think that 10% off of new retail is a fair price for a WELL used firearm. That said, they do offer a money-back guarantee if it has problems.

I generally buy my defensive ammo there. Decent price on a new Kahr CW9 a few years ago, which I purchased.

A friend of mine knows the store well and says they are well stocked, helpfully and yes a well run store. The only place you get a warm and uninformed welcome is cabelas.
    Most bad government has grown out of too much government.-Thomas Jefferson

The Evening Sun | One dead, one arrested; police continue investigation into gun burglaryNew twist in this story.

I have heard most of the handguns were 1911s in .45 caliber. All guns recovered except 4. Those were taken to Binghamton and traded or $500 worth of Coke. The GF is in custody as an accomplice. This guy broke in twice. First time he was there for 50 minutes. He went back after police were there and took more stuff. Helicopters have been searching for him for days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast