Close

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Private
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    26

    Default Sale of preban mags to NYS?

    Since I live in New Mexico, can I legally sell preban magazines to residents of New York State?

    Thanks from a new guy.

  2. #2
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chenango County
    Posts
    152

    Default

    Yes you can.

  3. #3
    Major RDFABSREP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Syracuse, N.Y.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,590

    Default

    Yes. If the mag was made before the ban, even though you're shipping it in after the ban, you're withing the limits of the law on that subject.
    “Disconnect and self destruct one bullet at a time
    What's your rush, now? Everyone will have his day to die." -APC

    This Too Shall Pass

  4. #4
    Administrator hexidismal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ulster County
    Posts
    3,257

    Default

    Yep, absolutely. I have on occasion had sellers unwilling to send them to me, and even some absolutely convinced by internet gossip that it was illegal. There is however no law forbidding it. I admire the fact that you came to ask, rather than a purposeless denial to a NY buyer. Here we rely on the Kindness, Understanding, Support, and Pre-ban magazaines from those in states more free than our own.

  5. #5
    Private
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    26

    Cool

    Thanks for the quick replies.

  6. #6
    Captain
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wayne
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Just don't forget to check the INSIDE of the magazines for a date stamp. If you are 100% sure you bought them personally before the ban, that's one thing. If you didn't buy them personally, or aren't sure, that's another.
    I almost ordered a couple of "pre-ban" magazines that turned out to be post-ban. The seller got them from a gun show and was told they were pre-ban. He didn't see a stamp on the outside of 4 of them, so he assumed they were pre-ban. I asked him to check the inside, and that's when he found out 2 of the 10 he had were really post ban.

  7. #7
    Private
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vantrepes View Post
    Just don't forget to check the INSIDE of the magazines for a date stamp. If you are 100% sure you bought them personally before the ban, that's one thing. If you didn't buy them personally, or aren't sure, that's another.
    I almost ordered a couple of "pre-ban" magazines that turned out to be post-ban. The seller got them from a gun show and was told they were pre-ban. He didn't see a stamp on the outside of 4 of them, so he assumed they were pre-ban. I asked him to check the inside, and that's when he found out 2 of the 10 he had were really post ban.
    Will do.

  8. #8
    Major fatmax2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oneida County
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    I still purchase from a couple companies that ship pre-ban mags into NYS
    Pro ... Rights, Freedom, Self-Defense

  9. #9
    Captain Cavalry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fulton
    Posts
    509

    Default

    who are you buying from? Its getting harder and harder to find companies that ship legally yo NY

  10. #10
    Private USAPrideandHonor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oswego County
    Age
    33
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatmax2 View Post
    I still purchase from a couple companies that ship pre-ban mags into NYS

    I would like to know as well, looking for a couple pre bans myself.

  11. #11
    Major RSBH44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    onondaga
    Posts
    1,689

    Default

    How Can you dated a pistol magazine? Is there a date stamp to look for or are they possibly dated by the color of the follower?

  12. #12
    Administrator Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RSBH44 View Post
    How Can you dated a pistol magazine? Is there a date stamp to look for or are they possibly dated by the color of the follower?
    If it's stamped LEO only then it's post ban and illegal in NY because it was made between '94 and '04 during the federal ban.

    Some mags can be identified by other markings (glock mags are this way, the location of the caliber stamp tells you when it was made). Some mags are pretty much impossible to tell because they look identical whether they're made before 1994 or after 2004.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

  13. #13
    Major RSBH44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    onondaga
    Posts
    1,689

    Default

    Thanks Jeff. I'm looking at some S&W factory originals on GB, 11 round capacity. One set have the blue followers and the other set have yellow followers. I'll have to ask the seller if either of the sets are LEO marked.

  14. #14
    Administrator Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10,735

    Default

    I have no idea if there is a way to identify a S&W mag other than a date or LEO only stamp on it.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

  15. #15
    Major RSBH44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    onondaga
    Posts
    1,689

    Default

    Thanks again Jeff. I'm waiting for a reply back from S&W

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •