Close

Default Purchasing a handgun @ a gun show

I was thinking about this today. Is there anyway to purchase a handgun at a gun show and walking out with it? I know this sounds like a troll question, but I was seriously wondering it. The wife and I have purchased pistols before at a local gun show, and it was never a worry about getting them that day because it works out that a week later there is another gun show 40 minutes away that pretty much every vendor from the first show attends. We usually pay for the gun at the first one, and pick up our gun at the second.

At the end of the month we are going to be down state and wanted to stop in to the show in Poughkeepsie. Since we are only going to be there for one day and it a long haul away, I was just wondering if it was even worth going since we would most likely be stuck with shipping fees or a long drive to pick up the gun anyway.

Some counties will issue you a release coupon before you buy one. I know Monroe won't but I think Ontario county does that. You'll have to ask your permit office if they do it.

Some counties (Monroe always did this) will have the pistol office people at the show so you can buy a gun, go to the pistol office table to put it on your permit then walk back to the dealer and pick it up. Now that Monroe County requires the judge to sign the release I'm not sure if this will happen any more.

In short, every county is different so you'll have to wait for someone that knows your county to reply or call your pistol office.

Edit: I just re-read your post so the pistol office being there won't help you if they do it.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Eire County shows up at the Hamburg Fairground Shows.
    If you already have a license they will add the new purchase to your license and you walk out with the gun.
    And I say to you forget the extremists. Itís simple; no one hunts with an assault rifle. No one needs ten bullets to kill a deer. Cuomo 2013 Never forget this SOB! BEWARE of Trolls! They could be UC on der Gouverneur's State Police Gun Squad.

Same at the Clayton gun show.
    If there's no such thing as trolls, how do you explain all the dead unicorns?

Quote Originally Posted by BerettaGuy View Post
    If you already have a license they will add the new purchase to your license and you walk out with the gun.

I have never been to another Gun show in the area where you will see the Pistol permit office doing this. This makes this show that much better. Here is the link to all of the NFC upcoming shows. http://www.nfcshows.com/upcomingshows.htm

March 5th and 6th 2011 at the Erie County Fairgrounds.
    Firearms Training of Western New York
    http://www.ftwny.com
    info@ftwny.com

"Safety Doesn't Happen by Accident"

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Firea...9341927?ref=hl

Private

Get a signed copy of the FFL from your favorite local dealer, and bring it with you.

Buy the pistol, and arrange to have it shipped to your FFL. Pick it up when it arrives locally.

Expect to pay extra, to have the original seller ship it, and to have your local FFL do the transfer for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 2011 View Post
    Get a signed copy of the FFL from your favorite local dealer, and bring it with you.

Buy the pistol, and arrange to have it shipped to your FFL. Pick it up when it arrives locally.

Expect to pay extra, to have the original seller ship it, and to have your local FFL do the transfer for you.
    Yeah that is what we planned on but that added $50 really kills the majority of pistol deals.

Captain

Otsego will issue up to 3 blank purchase coupons
    Luke 22:36 Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one."

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    Some counties will issue you a release coupon before you buy one. I know Monroe won't but I think Ontario county does that.
    Ontario County has stopped pre-issuing purchase coupons.
    A golf course is a deliberate and willful misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Lt. Col. David Grossman

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BerettaGuy View Post
    This is really only applicable if your permit is issued by the same county. The Erie County Clerk can not and will not amend my permit, as it was issued by Ontario County. Same thing with the gun shows at the dome in Monroe County.

It sucks living 10 minutes from the gun show and not being able to make a same-day handgun purchase.
    A golf course is a deliberate and willful misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Lt. Col. David Grossman

Yes, I have both of these issues.... my county doesn't issue blank coupons, and all the big gun shows are out of my county.

Where are all these gun show loop holes I have been hearing about! lol

Private

Cattaraugus county the pistol permit clerk comes to every gun show, you buy go to her desk there she puts it on your permit and off you go. simple, i love catt county,,,, unrestricted carry and takes only 6 weeks....

Question for those of you more "in the know". If you buy a pistol from an FFL or person at a gun show where your county is not there to add it, and you don't have one of those magical coupons, can you have it walked across the floor (read transfer) to an FFL right down the road from you and save the shipping?