Close

Default 3D printing and guns

I saw a post about people sharing 3D designs for weapons and parts.

Here is the discussion about it on the site that hosts the designs:
    Deadly Weapons on Thingiverse

Lower receiver design:
    AR-15 Lower Receiver by KingLudd - Thingiverse

AR15 magazine:
    AR-15 Rifle Magazine by crank - Thingiverse

I doubt that the plastic can handle the pressure, but as the technology improves, it will become feasible.

What are your thought about the ability to literally print firearm components at home?

SAF & NRA Life Member
    USCCA Gold

Corporal

There's a future possibilty of engineering entire weapons from 3D printers. There's at least one group experimenting with high density polymers comparable to the polymer composition used in today's firearms. Without a doubt it will only be a matter of time before they successfully introduce a liquid metal to a medium for the construction of barrels, hammers, and pins. So with all that said it seems like an awesome possibility that gun smithing could evolve into something entirely different. Of course... you can see where the danger lies. If someone could easily produce a firearm at the touch of a button then what? Hell what if someone designs a gun capable of avoiding all metal detection technology that can be made in the comfort of your home! I would love it, but there are millions who would object.

Oh and yea... The future is awesome.

technology is going to be the end of us, remember how advanced the Romans were and they fell hard, scary I say

I believe I read something the ATF did a few years back, I think they were trying to prove that airsoft ar15 lower replicas were able to fire live ammo. They claimed that, an airsoft ar15 lower receiver could be installed it on an ar15 upper and fire live ammo.

Airsoft Gun Seizure Apparently Toys Can Be Real Guns

Quote Originally Posted by SierraOne View Post
    I believe I read something the ATF did a few years back, I think they were trying to prove that airsoft ar15 lower replicas were able to fire live ammo. They claimed that, an airsoft ar15 lower receiver could be installed it on an ar15 upper and fire live ammo.

Airsoft Gun Seizure – Apparently Toys Can Be Real Guns
    I think I saw that when it came out. Apparently a 3-pin full-auto FCG dropped right in, and the upper would fit. Not that I agree with their ruling, though.

Well AR-15 lowers...aren't really all that amazing. If you wanted, you could probably carve one out of a block of wood.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Nitrox Diver. Dives- ​59. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Yeah, no kidding. With the proper pin spacing, almost anything is an AR lower.

Corporal

WOW that guy in the video really hates his shadow.