Close

Major

Default Mosin Nagant M44 question

I ran across this on Armslist:

ARMSLIST - For Sale: Russian Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine in Excellent Condition

The seller's description as follows:

A very pristine example of a great rifle. New surplus M44 in 7.62x54R. A lot easier to shoot all day long than a standard 91/30 Mosin. The shorter barrel doesn't give the high pressures enough room to really put a hurting on your shoulder. Same huge boom and fireball as a 91/30. Everything in excellent shape, I can take more detailed pictures upon request.

Now I had heard that the Mosin Nagant M44 carbine has more of a kick than the standard Mosin Nagant rifle. Which one has the bigger kick (recoil) ? Can anyone help me out with this?

I'm not an expert but the shorter barrel reducing pressure thing sounds ridiculous to me. Physics would dictate that given the same round and action the lighter rifle will transfer more recoil to your shoulder. Total mass of all ejecta (including the bullet and expanded powder gasses) are the same regardless of barrel length.

Corporal

My M44 has more kick than my 91/30s, or so it feels to me.
    http://ballseyesboomers.blogspot.com/
    When I look in the mirror, I am happy to see, some of that nine year old boy, who used to be me.

Sergeant

they both "kick" the same to me but dont let the boom fool you the M-44 is alot louder and the fireball is awesome!!

Private

I also can't tell the difference in kick between the two, however with the M44 being lighter, it probably kicks harder. The shorter carbine length barrel creates an much more amazing fireball, especially at night with some 50's Hungarian heavy ball i got from AIM a while back. The 7.62x54r cartriges were loaded with a fairly slow burning powder, hence it the powder is still burning when it reaches the muzzle of the carbine length barrels.

Major

m44 is not lighter really
    the m44 has much more pronounced recoil due to its shorter barrel

the 9130 can be fired all day

the 44 after about 20 rounds your done (so is your hearing)

Brother has a M44, I have a 91/30. The M44 does seem to have more recoil than the 91/30, and more muzzle hop due the shorter barrel. The biggest difference I notice is the noise, like the other guys mentioned. The 91/30 will make your ears ring after like 10 shots, the M44 is just instant deafness. Learned that the hard way, since then I've smartened up and worn ear plugs
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars. ~Unknown

Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar

A tad bit more recoil in the M44 and as already stated ... LOUD!!! His description of pristine is not what I would consider the best description though. Not horrible, but no mention of numbers matching, force matching, strike throughs and so on. If you like it though, I'm sure you can find some locally. Have you checked with some of the vendors here like FireFly Fireamrs??
    Last edited by Chicken Shoot; 05-30-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    RPD46

Private

Longer the barrel is, less the recoil is. Weight takes off more recoil in longer rifles as well. Pretty much what everybody else said
    RRA / M&P 15 AR-15 .223--R700 SPS .308--M500 Tactical 12 Ga
    Ithaca Deerslayer 12 Ga--Yugoslavian SKS--Enfield No4 Mk1 .303
    Arisaka 7.7mm Jap

Corporal

the 44 after about 20 rounds your done (so is your hearing)
    I hope you are kidding about your hearing. My hearing, to my knowledge, has never been affected adversely by shooting my 91/30s or my M44 because I always wear hearing protection, ear muffs sometimes coupled with plugs, when shooting them. I have had a ringing in my left ear ever since I tried to shoot a skunk while using the hood of a Dodge Ramcharger as support back in the early 1980s. No hearing protection and left ear was facing the windshield and that ring is now mine forever after that one single shot with a .357 magnum round. The ringing got even worse after chemo therapy last year.

I try to make sure to always wear hearing protection before shooting. About the only times when I have not always worn it is when I hunt for deer, turkey and squirrel but have worn it now and hen when deer hunting. Now that the chemo has made the ringing worse (actually have ringing in both ears now), I will possibly wear plugs all the time when hunting. I have never had my ears ring, after a shot, while wearing properly fitted and properly functioning hearing protection.

To wear both hearing and eye protection while shooting has been one of the cardinal rules of firearms safety for a long, long time. Sadly it was one of many firearms safety rules that apparently did not fit in Cooper's abbreviated list of firearms safety rules (4 rules my arse, is what I often think of them - good rules for the most part but they just leave out way too much). It amazes me that so many people neglect to protect their hearing and eyesight while shooting and how many who instruct others how to shoot sometimes neglect telling the new shooters about their importance. I highly recommend using both hearing and eye protection while shooting everything from a .22 Short all the way up to a super magnum pistol or rifle round.

All the best,
    GB
    http://ballseyesboomers.blogspot.com/
    When I look in the mirror, I am happy to see, some of that nine year old boy, who used to be me.