Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Plugs, Muffs, or Both?

The artist formerly known as jhm8071 NirvanaFan's Avatar

Default Plugs, Muffs, or Both?

I'm curios what everyone else wears for hearing protection. I used to use a pair of AO Safety ear muffs, but the last time I was shooting, those broke when I tried to put them on. I just pulled them apart a little to get them over my head and the plastic piece that goes over the top of your head broke in half. Good thing I had some plugs handy.

This week, I broke down and actually bought a decent pair of electronic muffs, but they are relatively large. I'm a little concerned about the cheek weld when shooting rifles or shotguns. They have a NRR rating of 30dB, so they're nice and safe. I may end up having to wear plugs and muffs at the same time. I guess that's not a bad thing though.

So, what does everyone else use?
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." - Thomas Jefferson

Super Moderator evileyeswatchin's Avatar

Custom molded plugs.
    bpipe95 likes this.
    My mind is the weapon, everything else is merely an accessory.

. . .|====|
    *n/______\n*
    =(OxxxxO)=

Here's my list.

Best: Plugs and muffs
    Better: Muffs only (what I usually use)
    Good: Plugs only
    Bad: Stabbing yourself in the ear repeatedly with a sharpened pencil
    Worse: Shooting without any ear protection.

Quote Originally Posted by evileyeswatchin View Post
    Custom molded plugs.
    Where did you get your custom plugs?
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jhm8071 View Post
    Where did you get your custom plugs?
    jhm, check out this site for custom earplugs Radians Personal Protective Equipment - Radians Custom Molded Earplugs
    NY CCW unrestricted
    Keep your powder dry and warm Thru the coming darkest storms
    NRA Life Member
    “Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading,” — Thomas Jefferson

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Phlyan Pan View Post
    Here's my list.

Best: Plugs and muffs
    Better: Muffs only (what I usually use)
    Good: Plugs only
    Bad: Stabbing yourself in the ear repeatedly with a sharpened pencil
    Worse: Shooting without any ear protection.
    Ditto, although I personally would rank "plugs only" as better than "muffs only", due to issues with getting a good seal with muffs, whether it's a gunstock or glasses.

Super Moderator evileyeswatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by de17walt View Post
    Do not use the do it yourself kits, go to a hearing center and get a set made for you.
    They will be expensive, but they work and you can wear them all day woithout issue.
    bpipe95 and Phlyan Pan like this.
    My mind is the weapon, everything else is merely an accessory.

. . .|====|
    *n/______\n*
    =(OxxxxO)=

kmussack

Hearing Protection;

Once you’ve lost hearing it’s gone forever and cannot be replaced for any amount of money.

It’s too late for me I’m afraid. I’ve lost a substantial amount of my hearing and have that ringing in my ears 24/7.

That being said; save money on less important things. Go for the best hearing protection you can afford.

The best, hands down, electronic hearing protection available on this planet is the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X.

At $250 they’re expensive but they will last a lifetime and save you from having to say “huh?” in your golden years.

I’ve got quite a collection of electronic “active” hearing protectors.

My first set I bought back in the 80’s. They were made by Electronic Specialties Inc. and were called “Soundbusters”. They worked ok but were big and went through batteries like crazy.

Somewhere along the line I got a pair of “Radians”. They worked ok but I’d forget to turn them off and their batteries would go dead.

Then I bought a pair of “Peltor Tactical 6-S” muffs. These are ok but there was that pesky problem of remembering to turn them off.

Finally when I got really deep into tactical stuff I bought a pair of the “Sordin” muffs. They are the bomb! Digital volume control and they remember to turn themselves off. Batteries last forever and I can plug my radio into them if need be or I can listen to tunes from my IPOD.

Coincidentally the “Sordin” muffs fit like “socks on a rooster” under a MICH helmet;

I'm guessing the blue ones are the 80's muffs!
    "If I could have banned them all - 'Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns' - I would have!"
    - Diane Feinstein
    (I love Diane, that sexy angel)

Mussack, I did look at those, but found that they only had an NRR of 18. That turned me off of them. I've never bought an electronic muff before now, so I don't know a lot about them. Why would someone spend all that money for an NRR of 18, when they can get electronic ones that are in the upper 20s or 30 for ~$70? I've got no problem spending the money if they are truly worth it.

Honestly, I don't go to public ranges much at all. When I shoot, I do it at my parents house out in the country. We can shoot ~350 yards. There is usually only one person shooting, but sometimes there are two. I don't really need electronic ones, but it is a plus when I am teaching others (wife, friends, and son eventually) how to shoot. I'll probably be in the market to buy another pair in the semi-near future.

I think I'm going to order these:
    Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs - Amazon.com

At indoor ranges I usually use plugs and muffs. I like to keep it quiet!
    "If I could have banned them all - 'Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns' - I would have!"
    - Diane Feinstein

I actually use these:

Hearos High Fidelity Ear Plugs 1 Pair with Case | Sam Ash Music 1-800-4-SAMASH

they work REALLY well, I can hear a person talking to me in a normal voice, but anything that would hurt my ears gets muffed down to reasonable levels.

These aren't as good inside indoor shooting ranges, I went to one in NC and holy crap, I may as well have not been wearing them, deaf for 2 days after an hour of shooting. I didn't even realize they weren't working, I thought the pressure I felt in my ear was from me pushing the plugs in further, nope, that was my ear getting deafer lol.
    Rifle Wants: CETME, AR15, SBR AK in 7.62, Daewoo DR200

Pistol wants: XDM, Used Beretta M9/92FS for carry, S&W 5904/5/6 variant, Browning High Power

Les

Quote Originally Posted by ECU Pirates View Post
    Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs - Amazon.com

I recently bought a pair of these. They work quite well, as good as my Peltor Tactical 7 at least. They have an excellent NRR and are comfortable to wear. They do have large ear cups but that isn't an issue for me. I still like my Peltor 7s though.
    NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer - NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member
    === Make a fast friend, adopt a retired racing greyhound. ===

Quote Originally Posted by ECU Pirates View Post

Those are the ones I ordered. They're supposed to be delivered Saturday. We'll see though. I plan on shooting on Sunday. We'll see how well they do with my .44 mag Super Redhawk.

Les, have you had any problems getting a good cheek weld on rifles with those muffs? They seem fairly large. I guess being 30 NRR, they have to be though.

Muffs a lot, plugs a lot (depending on the situation muffs get in the way) and if I have neither then 9mm Luger rounds.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Diver. Dives- ​54. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Les

Quote Originally Posted by jhm8071 View Post
    Those are the ones I ordered. They're supposed to be delivered Saturday. We'll see though. I plan on shooting on Sunday. We'll see how well they do with my .44 mag Super Redhawk.

Les, have you had any problems getting a good cheek weld on rifles with those muffs? They seem fairly large. I guess being 30 NRR, they have to be though.
    I haven't had a problem but it could be just my cheek weld isn't bothered by the large cups. Keep us posted on how you like them. They do block noise really well compared to some I have tried.
    NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer - NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member
    === Make a fast friend, adopt a retired racing greyhound. ===

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    I haven't had a problem but it could be just my cheek weld isn't bothered by the large cups. Keep us posted on how you like them. They do block noise really well compared to some I have tried.
    Thanks. Hopefully the weather cooperates this weekend. I'll update when I give them a try.

I'm not worried about a cheek weld because I am only using them for indoor pistol shooting. I was going to order them due to the noise reduction. Get's loud with the line full during bullseye rapid fire!
    - Diane Feinstein

custom molded in ear plugs with pop stoppers. /thread.

If you shoot in matches the guys who do it for a living attend the larger ones and can do an on the spot fit or a more expensive silicone set that they send to you after they make the mold in person.
    Everything posted by this user is the opinion of said user and nothing more.
    "I am not planning on slowing down, I am just going to learn to shoot better." - Ben Stoeger
    Guess what, you've been tread on. Now what the hell are you going to do about it?

Disclaimer: I;ve been shooting, playing guitar, going to concerts, drag racing and other noisy crap since about 1980, my hearing sucks, I have tinnitus but not horrible, depends how quite every thing else is. That said, I find the really quite muffs ie 23 db and higher waaay to quiet. I use the Caldwell electronic muffs and love them. Price is right too, unless its raining, thats what i wear. Indoor they arent the greatest when guys are shooting comped open guns but for regular guns they work well
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

I use plugs 90% of the time,plugs and muffs the other 10%.
    Most of my shooting is rimfire,but when the big guns come out,muffs go on as well.

The only gun I dont use my muffs for is my marlin 60. The percussion cap on my smoke pole makes my ears ring. I don't even want to know what a mosin sounds like without protection.

When I'm shooting small calibers and non-magnums I use just the muffs or just the foam ear plugs. When I'm shooting any 30 cal or magnum rounds, I use both.

James

I use muffs and plugs together now. After some hearing loss, using one or the other. Thousands and thousands of shotgun blasts does a number on hearing.
    Chief of Unicorn and Rainbows Division

BANNED

Just plugs for me. Works well enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast