• 1 Post By sitdwnandhngon
  • 1 Post By RayKnobs
  • 5 Post By Gunny
  • 1 Post By WarrenDee
  • 1 Post By LZ1
  • 1 Post By XP100

Thread: Tompkins gun buyback.

Default Tompkins gun buyback.

Just found out they will be doing a gun buyback in Ithaca in 3 days.

As I mentioned in another thread last year. I have a mangled old .22 from the days of yore with a bent barrel, sticky bolt and no sights.

This would be a perfect opportunity to sell that POS, to burn up a private anti-gun donation to the Ithaca PD, then take the cash given and purchase my NRA membership. Documenting the whole thing of course.

It was already stated that the money is not taxpayer money, it was donated just for this event.

Would anyone be interested in doing a group, old gun sell off, and purchasing some rifles to donate to the appleseed program, or a similar program?

Now I am not saying give up any of your nice rifles, but lots of people have old bolt actions that lived in the barn for 50 years and barely function.
    timboy likes this.

Take extra cash and stand outside.
    NorthernRedneck likes this.

Captain

I don't know all tha particulars of the Buy Back but what I have heard they will pay up to 200.00 for an assault weapon. You can turn in all you want but will only get paid for 3. No questions asked for illegal guns but they have to have ID. WHY. I offered to buy long guns on a site. One taker.

I wondered about the ID myself.

The gun is perfectly legal as far as NY law goes, its just a pile of crap.

I am going to go in and offer it to them, and refuse to show ID if asked. They can either take it and hand me cash, or not. Since it isn't an illegal firearm they can't just take it from me.

They need the ID "for accounting purposes". Hahahahaha. Trusting the govt. is about the dumbest damn thing anyone can ever do. I'd trust the devil first.
    Ithaca Gun Buy Back Program Targets Assault Weapons
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenret View Post
    They need the ID "for accounting purposes". Hahahahaha. Trusting the govt. is about the dumbest damn thing anyone can ever do. I'd trust the devil first.
    Ithaca Gun Buy Back Program Targets Assault Weapons
    This one is a gem from that link too.

The ID requirement is due to “strict guidelines that govern what we as a police department spend money on, and this program is no different,” Police Department spokesman Jamie Williamson told the Indy. “Its a checks and balance system.”

Sounds like complete BS to me.

Ok, new plan. Who wants to go stand outside and offer cash on long guns before they get turned in?

Sergeant

If I had some cash I'd be all for it. I'd even drive to ithica to do it.

Sergeant

Any of you guys want to turn in your AR or AK I would be willing to fetch you {up to} $200 for it. Just PM me please.
    BigDave, av8r, squib and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    Any of you guys want to turn in your AR or AK I would be willing to fetch you {up to} $200 for it. Just PM me please.
    I'll pay $300 and won't ask for ID!
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject"

Quote Originally Posted by av8r View Post
    I'll pay $300 and won't ask for ID!
    $400.00 and I'll wear a blindfold
    Smurfette likes this.

Private

Article full of lies. Since when did a bushmaster ar15 kill 26 kids and adults in CT?

Captain

we should start a NYfirearms.com table and post a sign saying "willing to pay double what the police will pay"

or possibly a nyfirearms.com gun buyback program

LZ1
    Captain

Maybe someone will bring spent AT4s so they can get national news coverage
    Gunny likes this.

Corporal

Waste of money. Host an Amnesty auction. Doesn't cost a thing and moves guns to the hands of legal and responsible owners.

Private

I wonder if the money donors get first dibs or are they traffic violators who were offered lesser charges for giving a "gift?"

Well, they netted quite a pile.

Here is the article.

http://www.theithacajournal.com/arti...text|FRONTPAGE

I knew I should have gone, might have snagged a decent shotgun for a decent price. Or even snagged a rare one from getting cut in half. Shame.

"including two semi-automatic rifles with the capability to hold high-capacity ammunition." - What the heck is high cap ammunition? XD

"That gun, along with all the rest, will soon be cut in half through the stock and melted down." - So if I cut my AK right in the center of the stock, it won't fire huh? XD

I love how little you can tell these people know about guns.
    Rifle Wants: CETME, AR15, SBR AK in 7.62, Daewoo DR200

Pistol wants: XDM, Used Beretta M9/92FS for carry, S&W 5904/5/6 variant, Browning High Power

I never understood why they HAVE to cut and melt down these guns. That $2000 commemorative pistol, for example, could have been sold and made the department some money. That or at least put it into a museum. It deserves better.

Most of those pistols look like the one that grandpa kept under the pillow for years.

Hard to ID them from the picture though. There is a Buckmark in there I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Catfish787 View Post
    I never understood why they HAVE to cut and melt down these guns. That $2000 commemorative pistol, for example, could have been sold and made the department some money. That or at least put it into a museum. It deserves better.

It was probably a condition of the people that donated money to this program. They don't give a crap.

So Ithaca NY police dept are they just following orders or are they anit 2nd Amendment. Tompkins County boaders My county Cortland. I will not suport Tompkins County if thats the case. To take a gun worth $2000 dollars without saying hey times are tuff money wise take your gun and get the real value for it, honesty. It just sounds like the 1st steps Germany took in the 1940's. Tell the people the Truth Tompkins County! We want to disarm the public but we will keep ours gun, talk about double standard. I also bet not one gun came in by a crimial, just honest people scared by NYS. FEAR FEAR I think is why they handed them in.

Whether that commemorative pistol was functional or not, it was worth a ton of money. Lots more than the $40 dollars the person traded it in for.

My guess is that it was the typical situation. A spouse brings in a deceased loved one's firearms to have the police take them since they don't know how to handle them or know that they are worth.

Captain

I live in Tompkins County(unfortunately). I offered to buy guns at more than TC offered. Had one offer for a SS Stevens 12ga. for 250.00. If all the BS gun laws get passed in NY I am planning on moving to Pa.
    I have a small shop and got rid of my FFl but still sell everything else hunting and shooting related. Getting close to complete retirement age. Ithaca NY is 10 square mies surrounded by reality.
    Last edited by XP100; 01-07-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Sp.
    Catfish787 likes this.

Private

buy back? conform much?

Quote Originally Posted by XP100 View Post
    I live in Tompkins County(unfortunately). I offered to buy guns at more than TC offered. Had one offer for a SS Stevens 12ga. for 250.00. If all the BS gun laws get passed in NY I am planning on moving to Pa.
    I have a small shop and got rid of my FFl but still sell everything else hunting and shooting related. Getting close to complete retirement age. Ithaca NY is 10 square mies surrounded by reality.
    I know what you mean. Ithaca has to be the most liberal town in upstate NY. I have to go there quite frequently because my brother goes to Cornell University.

Other than the colleges and the lake, Ithaca has nothing going for it in my opinion.