Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: New ammo laws in 2014???

Quote Originally Posted by thughes View Post
    One provision of the ammo section that does not require funding or a database: "No private transfers of ammunition in NY state". So folks, you can't even pass along a handfull of 22LR to your buddy when he runs short during your next outing at the range.
    Not exactly. The way the law reads, 30 days after the database is certified, a "seller" can no longer transfer ammo without the check. A "seller" is

"Seller of ammunition" means any person, firm, partnership, corporation or company who engages in the business of purchasing, selling or keeping ammunition.

The new ammo law has basically three areas.

1. Ammo sellers must register with the NYSP superintendent. FFLs that also have a NYS firearms dealer license are exempt (but FFLs that deal in long guns only are not I believe).

2. Ammo sellers must keep a log book of ammo sales.

3. 30 days after the new database is certified operational, registered ammo sellers must receive a pass from the system before transferring ammo.

Parts 1 and 2 become active on 1/15/14, part 3 becomes active whenever the database is ready. I looked at the 2013-14 budget in S2607E and I could not find any funds for implementing Chap 1, Sec. 50, laws of 2013, so I believe the database is not funded.

Here is the bad news - the penalty for selling ammo after 1/15 is still in effect, even if the database is not operational. The ammo seller registration and record logging can still go into effect without the database. The law actually has a provision for that happening:

This requirement of this section shall not apply (i) if a background check cannot be completed because the system is not operational as determined by the superintendent of state police

Quote Originally Posted by ricklovin93 View Post
    I'll just drive down to PA or some surrounding state to buy ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by VARMINT223 View Post
    I wonder if out of state hunters will be able to purchase ammo in NY? Nawwww, Andy promised that the Safe Act wouldn't affect hunters.
    Safe Act affecting hunters .

Watertown Daily Times | SUNY ESF restricts hunting on Ranger School campus

Quote Originally Posted by ricklovin93 View Post
    I'll just drive down to PA or some surrounding state to buy ammo.
    Massachusetts dealer will no longer sell ammo to NY residents.

All of my ammo will be shipped to NJ. Who'dve thought that NJ would save the day in regards to guns?
    Train, always.

How would this rule apply to just projectiles for muzzleloaders?
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    ― Samuel Adams

tick tock tick tock, Jan 15 fast approaching

Quote Originally Posted by jhog1 View Post
    Neither will anyone else, despite the much ballyhooed "unfunding" of the reporting requirement. They get their way without setting up any database.
    thecelt likes this.

EXACTLY! Because the law will still be in effect even without the database i would bet that MOST online retailers are not going to ship to private individuals because the law is active. I hope for our sakes that this portion of the law is struck or we are going to be massively handicapped in NY!

Quote Originally Posted by ladder13 View Post
    Neither will anyone else, despite the much ballyhooed "unfunding" of the reporting requirement. They get their way without setting up any database.
    SCOPENY-NRA/NYSRPA-SAF
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO
    "Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry."

Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach!

they never did. You needed a MA FID
    Gun loving family man with never enough time for either. S
    rsylvstr@gmail.com

If this provision does not get repealed before it is enforced I will make monthly trips to PA
    "Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it."
    -Abraham Lincoln

You get carded when buying ammo?
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Nitrox Diver. Dives- ​59. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

you are supposed to show a MA-issued Firearms ID card.
    Gun loving family man with never enough time for either. S
    rsylvstr@gmail.com

Private

Are they going to effect small time Lead casting businesses where I buy most of my 200 Grain LSWC. I am wondering about components like bullets and primers for the guys and gals that reload.
    I would love to see how this curbs crimes that are committed by felons with handguns.
    I am happy that I purchased all that I did and when I did it, my savings on components is huge.
    How many years until we get the knck on the door saying we are here to confiscate all of your registered handguns. Will people abide willingly or will there be enough of us that are involved in saving our rights to own firearms. There is only so much you can do. I am sure all of the letters that I have written were never read and I do not know if the money I have given to the NRA to become a lifetime member for $1,000.00 will help and all of the 40 and 50 dollars that I have given here and there will make a difference in the coming years.
    This country is so F*#ked up with other problems that need to be worked on and they cannot get along to fix it but when it comes to gun laws they sure can pass the fast enough but when it comes to a United State Budget they cannot agree. Moving to PA is not far enough. I need to sop into Beikirch's and see what the scoop is. Now that he has the store in NY and in PA he should know the differences.
    Training and practice makes you a better shooter. Pay to to get trained properly. FIREARMSSAFETYACADEMY.COM

Sergeant

Now you see why im reduced to shooting bb guns in the attic.trying to conserve ammo; theres only so much you can afford to buy.NY is being disarmed like the nazis going through poland!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123