Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: New ammo laws in 2014???

Captain

Post New ammo laws in 2014???

I was at one of my local gun shops today picking up ammo and according to the guy that runs the place there are going to be new laws when it comes to ammo purchaseing in 2014. Anyone have a clue as to what this guy might be talking about?

background checks for each ammo purchase
    TERM LIMITS, NO HEALTHCARE and NO PENSIONS for Politicians!
    (It is NOT a Career!)

Certain fundamental rights are protected by the Constitution, put outside government’s reach, including the right to keep and bear arms

Further proof that millions of NY gun owners are going to be in for a big surprise come January if this provision is not struck.

Private

I foresee many New Yorkers buying lots of ammo in PA.........

Quote Originally Posted by JDSTG58 View Post
    Well, let's hope that sellers of ammunition in PA don't react to restrictions on New Yorkers buying ammo the same way they reacted to the high cap mag provision. I was in a half a dozen gun shops in border counties in PA a few months ago and they all had signs - no high cap mag sales to NY residents.
    I'm the first responder.

This thread wouldn't be nearly as funny if we just weren't talking about how many people are unaware of the ammunition laws which are coming....
    Dr. Evil, BrianS, thecelt and 1 others like this.

NRA | NYSRPA | S.C.O.P.E.

Captain

so does this mean that we have to go fill out paper work to buy ammo or does the dealer just call check your permit and call the NICS ?

Who knows? Rumor has it that the FBI will not be allowing use of NICS for this provision; if that is true then it means NY is going to have to design and build their own system. How well do you think that is going to work?

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by blindshooter View Post
    so does this mean that we have to go fill out paper work to buy ammo or does the dealer just call check your permit and call the NICS ?
    No it will go through a state police database
    "I am a guardian of bacon and there is no other way of life."

Captain

If this is news to you now you have been under a rock for the last eight months! One of many painful elements of the safe act! Imagine the surprise of all the fudds when they can't find a place to buy shotgun shells- the other thread regarding this ( in politics I think) may wake many people up to join the fight.
    Gunny, BrianS, Gtnorry and 2 others like this.

Also, I believe if you order ammunition online, you have to ship it to your FFL.

The only problem with this is that most FFL's own gun stores and want to sell their own ammunition to you at crazy prices. So its unlikely that a majority of them would allow you to do this.
    "Give me liberty or give me death, but whatever you do, stop changing my signature admin."

I was under he impression that the ammo purchase part of the Safe Act was not in the budget so it was on hold.
    blindshooter likes this.

Are reloading supplies covered by this?
    blindshooter likes this.

Captain

I can see the FFL allowing ammo to be sent to their shop but they'll end up chargeing a fee.

Captain

The safe act is one big snooze fest. they make all these laws but don't stop and think of the effects it has. look at the whole magazine issue it's a perfect example of them acting before thinking.

The safe act is one big snooze fest. they make all these laws but don't stop and think of the effects it has. look at the whole magazine issue it's a perfect example of them acting before thinking.
    Unfortunately ,a large portion of the 2A community is a snooze fest and the sleeping fudds will be rudely awakened with a punch in the face.
    NRA
    SCOPE
    NYSRPA
    GOA

Captain

To me I think it's going to just make more of us gun owners leave the state and cause problems for the officers incharge of it. They don't stop and think of the headache it will cause everyone. If you think about it this new law means that us gun owners have to wait to get our ammo and it also means that the state has to either employ new people or make those working there stay longer. All of which means the state has to pay more money which we don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by tapper3 View Post
    Well, let's hope that sellers of ammunition in PA don't react to restrictions on New Yorkers buying ammo the same way they reacted to the high cap mag provision. I was in a half a dozen gun shops in border counties in PA a few months ago and they all had signs - no high cap mag sales to NY residents.
    Oh, they will sell. Waittill you see the prices!
    I'm the guy who could catch VD from a virgin.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away " Thoreau

Not so Super Moderator Chicken Shoot's Avatar

To me I think it's going to just make more of us gun owners leave the state and cause problems for the officers incharge of it. They don't stop and think of the headache it will cause everyone. If you think about it this new law means that us gun owners have to wait to get our ammo and it also means that the state has to either employ new people or make those working there stay longer. All of which means the state has to pay more money which we don't have.
    I was under the impression that the SA part of the UNSAFE act was gone. I give up trying to figure this crap out. I'm outta here in December and I'm NEVER coming back to this communist POS state!! I'll defend the state I go to from NYS invasion!!!
    http://www.chickenonaraft.com/

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by tapper3 View Post
    If I was in a gun shop and got IDed when buying a mag I'd leave out of spite.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Diver. Dives- ​48. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by JDSTG58 View Post
    I don't. Some people aren't driving 2-3 hours to get to a shop and not know what's in stock or if they'll even sell to you.
    No Tupperware allowed in my safe.

Quote Originally Posted by ladder13 View Post
    I don't. Some people aren't driving 2-3 hours to get to a shop and not know what's in stock or if they'll even sell to you.
    Unless you're already out there to buy cigarettes, fireworks..........

NRA | NYSRPA | S.C.O.P.E.

I wonder if out of state hunters will be able to purchase ammo in NY? Nawwww, Andy promised that the Safe Act wouldn't affect hunters.
    SCOPE/NRA/NYSRPA /AARP
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL.
    FUAC

From what I believe I had read NYshooter1 said there was a agreement to strike down the ammo provision (the SA of SAFE). This recently was reneged on and as always the state "changed" their mind to f**k us. Basically it was going to be taken off the books because there was absolutely no way to fund it. They decided to leave it because although it wouldn't be set up, it still would discourage vendors selling and create confusion. So it'll be there, just not working. Which will cause to much hassle and make it impossible to buy ammo. Thanks a f**king lot NY... f* ck you too

Sergeant

I was of the understanding that the monies needed to start up the database were denied by the legislature. When I read the SAFE act the ammo part, section 400.03 seller of ammunition, item 3 says that only AFTER the state police certifies the database is good to go will retailers have to use it. So I would take it to mean that no database, no background check. BUT....... being NYS, there has to be more. When I read item 2, it states that each and every transaction has to be recorded in a book that includes date, name, age, occupation and residence and amount and caliber. Can you imagine how big that book would be for Gander, Walmart, Dick's, etc. Wow...... To be clear, I am NOT an attorney, this is just me reading the text...... Maybe an attorney in this area can confirm/deny......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast