New York Firearms Forum banner

Off to the range today.

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  dsdmmat 
#1 ·
Well my 5.7x28 rifle is finally done. My gunsmith warned me that the factory FN ammo did not group well for him when he was test firing it. I have some AE and hand loads to try in it. I guess he wanted to warn me before I got disappointed. No biggie I will check it out at 25, 50 and 100 yards today. It was an experiment and I am happy to get it in my hot little hands.

Since this is supposed to be the only good day in a while I took the day off to go play at the range. If I can get 4 hours of shooting in I will be a happy camper. I have been waiting for a good day to make the 30 miletrip worth wile. What I really need is a house with a 1000 yard range out the back door. I guess I will have to win the lottery to make that a reality. Oh well one can dream, can't they?

#5 ·
Well if you know anything about me it is that I don't post pictures of guns.

The little savage 25 I had converted from a 17 Hornet to 5.7x28 does not like ballistic tip bullets. Hollow points and FMJ are no problem the groups are still a lot larger than I like 1 1/2- 2 1/2 inches. I will experiment with some different bullet weights and powders to see if I can get that group down to sub MOA. It may be my barrel is too long as well it is at 18 inches and my AR57 has a 16 inch barrel. Those two inches may be the thing that is screwing with the accuracy, who knows? It should shoot better than it does. I suppose I have a project to drive me crazy for the summer.

#4 ·
Buy your lottery tickets, you can't win if you don't play. Mega Millions is up to $233,000,000, if you hit that you could have the best 1,000 yard - back yard range in the world.

If I hit it I'll be setting on the Gulf Coast of Florida with cold Budwieser in my hand, with the warm breeze blowing in my face for a month or so then off to Montana to buy some prime Mans Real Estate with the States best hunting & fishing in my back yard.

#8 ·
Move once you win is the plan, doesn't matter wher you live they still have to pay you.

#9 ·
Daughter's bridal shower is today. Fiance says "What are we going to do all day?". I say "We go to the range!". So we will spend the afternoon at the range with various guns. I recently acquired a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 caliber that needs to be shot. He bought a Buckmark that needs to be shot. We'll drag along some other stuff like Glocks, xD, Kimber, Savage Axis, Mauser, etc.. Should be a fun afternoon at the range.

#10 ·
I am going to the range today too, my weekly therapy session with the bullseye. I have so,e things to test fire and some targets that need to be made ventilated.

#11 ·
What a fun day we had. I've never owned a big bore revolver before, the Blackhawk is just too much fun. Shot a fair target with the Axis too.

#14 ·
I went to sight in a gun I just built, it shot ok but after while I was chasing the impact points. I had bought a cheap one electronic sight (just because it was there) it was about 123 bucks. Well by the end of the day I had taken it off the gun and left it on the sign in desk with the tools it came with. I am sure it would work with a .22 rifle but nothing bigger. I am sure someone will enjoy it. I will mount a traditional scope on it and know it is good. I did shoot a few other guns today and got a lot of rounds down range.

#15 ·
Heading out monday to sight in a new green dot and play with some new .45 loads. My friend is bringing 5 new guns he hasn't shot yet (he's been on a tear). This will be my 3rd monday in a row shooting. I've been lucky lately. Hopefully next week I will be trying out a new trigger.

#16 ·
I was shooting 200 grain LSWC out of a couple of my paras today.

#19 ·
We've been family friends for 25 years, I work all the Gunshows with Mary, and while I like the Matches at New Bremen, distance & regulations make attendance difficult. Sacketts is six or seven miles from my house, but most of the time I shoot in Lorrain where its all but my private Range. (I've had more guests than I've seen others there)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.