New York Firearms Forum banner

Private purchase info and advice (private handgun sale in another county)?

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  RSBH44 
#1 ·
I'm considering buying a handgun from a private seller in Orleans County, and I live in Monroe County. What is the best way for me to go about this? Do I take a Monroe County form with me, and get the gun's details from the seller, take that to the Monroe County Clerk's Office, then return to the seller to pick up the gun? I'm just not clear on the best way to do this, or what needs to be done legally to get the gun onto my permit, and off of the seller's.

#2 ·
Get a notarized receipt from the seller with all the gun and sellers permit info on it. Take the permission slip from the county and a notarized buyers affidavit with the gun and your permit info on it to pick up the gun.

#4 ·
Directly from monroe county's site (you need to worry about the county your permit is in - not theirs).

When a gun is obtained from an individual, a dated notarized bill of sale or a notarized statement of permission is required to add it to the new owner's permit. The bill of sale or statement must show the seller's name, address, the carry number and the original date the seller's permit was issued. The gun must be described by make, caliber and serial number.
So as twogun says - you need the notarized bill of sale/statement of permission (notarized is important) and take it to the county clerks office. they'll give you your permission slip and you'll be set to go back to the seller.

#9 ·
I bought the gun last week. Turns out the seller is a Gates police officer, and has sold guns to residents of Monroe County before, so he knew what he needed to get for me. He even met me in Brockport, which is closer than Holley, and he had the notarized affidavit with him. I paid him all but $100 at our first meetup. I turned around, went downtown, had to park all the way up on the bridge because of roadwork all around the County Clerks building, only had a few coins for the meter, so I ran to the office, nobody in line, so I got very quick service, turned around and drove right back to Brockport and met him in Wegmans parking lot again, paid the $100 balance, and got the gun in my hot little hands, gave him his green slip to take to his county to remove the gun from his permit. He had a plastic card permit, recent update in that county.

I've only shot a few rounds through my new-to-me CZ 2075 RAMI 9mm, but it shoots nice so far. It is small but heavy, which is actually what I like about it - I dislike shooting lightweight guns that hurt my hand (LCP, for example.) This thing is sweet for a little gun, and much more concealable than my Astra A-100. Fits great in a Galco Summer Comfort holster I've got, that's made for a Glock 19. Also, I'm not a fan of most DAO triggers I've tried, so I appreciate the DA/SA trigger on this thing.

I cleaned it today, though I wasn't able to detail strip it as far as I would have liked - couldn't get some roll pins out. Still, it's clean and smooth now, and I've got an itchy trigger finger!

Scott in Penfield NY

#11 ·
What's the procedure in Livingston County? If you bought a gun from me, in Monroe, for example?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.