Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Legal handguns in NY

Private

Default Legal handguns in NY

So I know it's o.k. to buy a used handgun in NYS that pre-dates the whole microstamping B.S. but what about those who want to buy a new handgun? I was gun shopping the other day and the only handguns I could find that said they were NY Approved were either small .380's or large caliber handguns out of my price range. Every handgun I had my heart set on buying said it was illegal to own in NYS. I'm getting so tired of this state it's sickening. So my question is, what make and model handguns are NY Approved? I'd like to buy a 9mm as a backup gun and a .357 mag. as a primary shooter. What are my options in this liberal, poor excuse for a state?

Bob

I don't know where you're looking. There is no microstamping law in NY. Nor is there a list of approved handguns like there is for CA and MA.

Most of the common handguns are legal as long as the magazine has a capacity of 10 rounds or less.
    A golf course is a deliberate and willful misuse of a perfectly good rifle range. - Lt. Col. David Grossman

There aren't any handguns specifically banned in NY. (That's probably not true, but the vast majority are fine). There is no "approved" list like in California. You can't have magazines with capacity greater than 10 rounds; this makes for some interesting situations when a company decides not to offer state-compliant mags. One example is the Springfield XD(m) series, they choose not to make 10 round mags so their guns are technically illegal, but only because of the magazines. Except the .45 version which comes with flush 9 round mags.

Companies like Ruger offer state-compliant versions with 10 round magazines. Most others do as well. And of course there are the guns that don't hold 10 rounds to begin with, like the .45s and .380s you mentioned. But nothing is stopping you from buying a full-size 9mm that can hold 17 rounds and only using 10 round mags.

Dammit Bob

Its just magazines that are restricted... and you can always buy preban mags with high capacity for some handguns.

Private

I spoke with a gun dealer in Ca. yesterday who told me that they can sell me an XDM .40 with a 10 round magazine through my local FFL Dealer. Can anyone provide me with more definitive assurance that this can be done and is legal?

Quote Originally Posted by Yberlebende View Post
    I'd like to buy a 9mm as a backup gun and a .357 mag. as a primary shooter.
    For a 9mm id say go buy a Glock or a Sig, they both have compliant magazines of 10 rds and they both have prebans floating around out there if u want more than 10rds in the gun at one time. For .357 buy a revolver, no worries about them. Unless u want semi auto then id say go Sig or Glock again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgovsd View Post
    I spoke with a gun dealer in Ca. yesterday who told me that they can sell me an XDM .40 with a 10 round magazine through my local FFL Dealer. Can anyone provide me with more definitive assurance that this can be done and is legal?
    It's legal.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Diver. Dives- ​59. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgovsd View Post
    I was under the impression that Springer wasnt making 10 rders, and i just checked springer's website and didnt see any 10rder configurations with the XDm. However, if that is true then yes its legal. Remeber only the magazine capacity makes the handgun "illegal" with a few handguns being exceptions to that statement.

Sergeant

They got it right, just find the 10 round versions. My first purchase was a Taurus PT92 in 9mm, great gun. The normal configuration is 17 round factory mags, but I ordered it with 10 round factory mags so it'd be legal.

It does make it harder to buy something off Gunbroker.com or such, you have to watch the mags that come with it. If it's over 10 rounds, and there is a possibilty it's not preban (pre september 1994) then don't buy it, or the FFL they send it to can't release it to you with the mags.

There are plenty of good options out there under 10 rounds that are legal. I'm wondering by your comments if you were looking online. Many online vendors don't know the NY rules and will simply say "no sale to NY" even though they are selling products that would be legal here. They don't want to learn about our rules which can vary from city to city. NY city has stricter rules, and many people around the world have a hard time separating NYC from the rest of NY state.

Also, check out the law and politics section of this forum and look at the NY handgun assualt weapon ban sticky. That thread will go a long way for helping you learn the NYS handgun laws and what you can own or not own.

Private

SA is not making the 10 rounders. The dealer in Ca. ........I think......... is "modifying" the magazine to limit it to 10 rounds (not really sure about the details). I am currently waiting for my permit (any day now !!) so haven't drilled down into the details on this yet. I do like the features of the XDM and was exploring the possibilities of the 10 round mags. Sure wish SA would come up with one!!

Private

No, I'm not talking about magazine capacity. I was just at two different gun stores in PA yesterday and all the guys at both stores said they cannot sell certain guns to NYS residents unless they were spent shell casing approved. Today NYS requires every handgun sold to submit a shell casing to COBIS for future matching in crimes. Unless the handgun says "NY Approved: YES" on the information tag that is hanging on the gun, it cannot be sold to NYS residents. This is a fact and not an online speculation like most alleged "information" out there. I was there and saw it for myself just yesterday. Certain guns have to be NYS approved or else no sale. I just want to know which manufacturers and what models made by them submit spent shell casings to be NYS compliant. Sorry but all you who say this is not true don't know what you are talking about. I have talked with the very people who are selling these firearms and they won't sell them then based on this law I'm sure they know what they are talking about more than most internet surfers. Unless anyone can give me some examples of guns I can buy, don't bother posting.

well the is just for the laziness of the shop. they could easily take it ...have it shot and submit it. The guns are not illegal in NY they way they want to sell them is.They are CHOOSING not to. Deals here do it. PA doesn't want to be bothered. and the IS NOT mocrostamping.

Major

^^^ what he said. you're referring to a COBIS registration issue, which may not even be the case for much longer since congress hasn't found a way to fund it (aka waste multimillions of tax dollars on a program that's failed to solve one crime.) also, before you hop onto a forum asking what well-informed members are talking about and telling people who are trying to give you the proper information not to bother posting perhaps you should include key elements like the fact that you were attempting to purchase a handgun in a state that does not have COBIS in order to receive a more specific answer. stating that you were shopping in PA right off the bat would've been helpful. can't go wrong with a glock for a 9mm and my ruger sp101 .357 mag is my all-time favorite handgun. hope this helped and welcome to the forum.

Didn't COBIS just end? (Wasn't it's budget just taken away?)
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Diver. Dives- ​59. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

No, I'm not talking about magazine capacity. I was just at two different gun stores in PA yesterday and all the guys at both stores said they cannot sell certain guns to NYS residents unless they were spent shell casing approved. Today NYS requires every handgun sold to submit a shell casing to COBIS for future matching in crimes. Unless the handgun says "NY Approved: YES" on the information tag that is hanging on the gun, it cannot be sold to NYS residents. This is a fact and not an online speculation like most alleged "information" out there. I was there and saw it for myself just yesterday. Certain guns have to be NYS approved or else no sale. I just want to know which manufacturers and what models made by them submit spent shell casings to be NYS compliant. Sorry but all you who say this is not true don't know what you are talking about. I have talked with the very people who are selling these firearms and they won't sell them then based on this law I'm sure they know what they are talking about more than most internet surfers. Unless anyone can give me some examples of guns I can buy, don't bother posting.
    Wow.

I are sad that this is a PG13 website and not my old forum hangout.

Sorry but all you who say this is not true don't know what you are talking about.
    They know what they are talking about. You don't know what you are asking about.

Unless anyone can give me some examples of guns I can buy, don't bother posting.
    You can't buy ANY pistols in PA and bring them into NY.
    Last edited by jeepyj; 03-06-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    rbrush and RM08 like this.
    Cuomo is a Douchenozzle.

SCOPE Member
    NRA Member

Major

darth-- i believe COBIS is on its deathbed, but i just had a new handgun shipped from out of state to my ffl and he had to bring it to the sheriff's range to fire it so it's still in effect.

jeepyj-- i hear ya. and to make matters worse the mods have been extra lock-happy lately so the threads get silenced just as they get interesting. the ones with the padlock logos on them are the ones i read first!

. Unless anyone can give me some examples of guns I can buy, don't bother posting.
    I can give you an example of where you can put it.

Sergeant

Someone said it in another forum post, the budget year starts in April. Technically, COBIS is still alive until the new budget is finalized, signed off by the legislature and governer, and starts in April. Also keep in mind that the state has not made budget deadlines before, and then things sort of run "as they were" until it all gets hashed out. Didn't we go over a heck of a long time a few years ago? I seem to remember a lot of bickering about it.

Unless they find some magic way to fund it, it's likely dead. But not officially yet....

If you don't think anyone knows what they are talking about, why did you ask for advice to begin with? I will trust those that regularly buy handguns in NY over a dealer in another state. The info you have been given by those on this board so far is 100% correct. If you settle down and not start your 2nd post by offending very knowledgable people on this board, you'll learn something. New York's gun laws can be very confsing to NY residents, let alone non-residents. Just because someone is an FFL dealer, does't mean they know the laws of every state.
    PhotoSgt85 likes this.

OP if u were clear on what u were asking u might of received a more direct answer. Second im pretty sure i gave u examples of what u can buy. Third while most forums have the "internet surfer" lurking around im 100% positive none have posted in here, ur getting good answers from knowledgeable ppl. Most states that have very lax gun laws dont want to deal with the states that have heavy ones like NY and CA, CA is just terrible lol.

Private

It's really simple. Hopefully you can understand this. There is NO approved gun list for New York. You can buy ANY gun you want, as long as the magazine capacity is no more than 10...just like every other person here has told you...Also, New York does not micro-stamp the firearm. You are confusing that with the spent shell casing. You can't buy a gun from PA and bring it back to New York, Unless....you have it sent to your FFL and then your FFL has the handgun fired in accordance with COBIS and send in the spent shell casing. Chances are, a dealer at a gun show is not willing to go through the hassle for you when he could probably sell the gun just as easily to someone where he doesn't. I recently Bought a Handgun from Buds Guns and if it had not come with the spent shell casing, my FFL would have had to complete that before I could take possession of the gun.

Further more, you came on a forum to ask a question. You got answers from a LOT of people who KNOW. So why turn into an idiot when you don't get the answer you thought you wanted. Granted, sometimes you don't get accurate information and people may disagree, but most guys here don't lower themselves to the level of a 3rd grader. They have honest debate and the accurate info usually comes out. But here, EVERYONE is telling you the same thing. But honestly, your just not bright enough to figure it out.
    RayKnobs and WNYBuckhunter like this.

How about this. If you are sure your PA dealer is right and we all don't know what we are talking about WHY DON'T YOU ASK HIM FOR THE LIST?
    ScotchMan likes this.

Private

I just want to know which manufacturers and what models made by them submit spent shell casings to be NYS compliant.
    ALL handguns....EVERY single handgun that is purchased by a New York Resident. EVERY handgun bought in New York must submit a spent shell casing.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by kkelley View Post
    Someone said it in another forum post, the budget year starts in April. Technically, COBIS is still alive until the new budget is finalized, signed off by the legislature and governer, and starts in April. Also keep in mind that the state has not made budget deadlines before, and then things sort of run "as they were" until it all gets hashed out. Didn't we go over a heck of a long time a few years ago? I seem to remember a lot of bickering about it.

Unless they find some magic way to fund it, it's likely dead. But not officially yet....
    I wonder how much of our tax dollars are being spent on the maintenance of this program. I have always been afraid of knowing Hahaha!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast