New York Firearms Forum banner

Alright, Guys...Someone Talk Me Out Of -- Or In To -- A Beretta 92

8K views 76 replies 36 participants last post by  HEX 
#1 ·
I'm not looking for a small or light pistol, but I'm thinking about adding another 9mm to the cabinet to keep my G19 company. For a little more punch, I also have a 1911 and a G36 in the 45acp variety. I have (3) revolvers, which includes a .38spl snub nose which I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of.

With that being said, I'm leaning towards a 92 because of the reliability, weight (it'd be nice to have a less-snappy pistol for the wife to shoot) and availability of higher capacity mags, should we ever be able to use them again.

What say you, guys--any input??

#7 ·
Bought my 92FS back in 1992 and have probably shot a gazillion rounds through it. Still performs flawlessly and its one of my go-to guns. Fun to shoot, easy to field strip, and very reliable. Get one!

PS - does the wife shoot the .38? Does she like it? Future purchase in mind for my wife when her permit comes through

#9 ·
Thanks for the input, guys! I'll honestly say the CZ would definitely be a contender--nice looking gun.

To be 100% honest, I'm thinking of this as a back-up gun should the perverbial S ever HTF. I'm so stocked up on 9mm, it'd make sense to have (2) pistols that use it. Should the wife ever get her pistol permit, this might make a nice bedside gun for her.

PS - does the wife shoot the .38? Does she like it? Future purchase in mind for my wife when her permit comes through
Wifey's never shot the snub nose, but she's fired the S&W K-frame (only with .38's, never (so far) with .357's. She's also fired the Squires Bingham .22mag. She loves the revolvers, but isn't a big fan of the pistols. It's harder for her to rack the slide on them, so she typically keeps away.

#10 ·
These days I look at a full size pistol like that as a waste as we are denied it's full capacity in NY.

#11 ·
I have a CZ 75 pre B. It's a great gun. I have shot my uncles taurus 92. That's a great gun also. A beretta 92 is on my list to have sometime. If you go with the CZ 75. Buy a B. The pre B front sight can't be changed and finding mags that work is tough. I had mine dovetailed for a 1911 style front sight bc my front sight was almost ground down to nothing. Great shooter tho. It usually kicks around in my truck with me.

#13 ·
can't recommend a 92 too highly. it's probably the most tested 9mm in history. my original 92fs has 27k through it with out a single malfunction. my ninety two I bought used so I have no idea how many rounds are through it. that's right it's a ninety two spelled out. all the bad things that were said about them were taken care of back in the 80's. that being said they are a big pistol,and thick through the grip. but for my self I will alway's try to own what ever our military is using. I'm realy a 1911 type,but the beretta's will grow on you. most reliable in my safe.

#14 ·
There are a lot of better options out there like CZ and Sig models. Ill get one one day soley for nostalgia because i rather throw my money away on guns rather than hookers and blow.

#15 ·
I cut my teeth on the M9. Always reliable, and they go for countless rounds. Great pistol. They are big, but I've seen even tiny women shoot them and make expert very easily. They are simple, and reliable.

As far as the magazine capacity... If the law gets over turned the mags should be a dime a dozen. Until then the gun is still going to be a big comfortable, easy to shoot, pistol. Just with few less rounds. If it isn't for CCW, then size shouldn't matter.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the input, guys. I don't know a whole lot about CZ, but I've definitely heard good things. I like the idea of owning a Sig, but I also like the idea of a battle-tested heavyweight.

I'm gonna handle one this weekend at my LGS and make my final decision. Seems like everyone (locally) has rail-less black models. I'd really like to get a stainless model with the rail incorporated, but if that makes it unreasonably priced, I'll probably pass on it and stick with black.

#17 ·
Thanks for all the input, guys. I don't know a whole lot about CZ, but I've definitely heard good things. I like the idea of owning a Sig, but I also like the idea of a battle-tested heavyweight.

I'm gonna handle one this weekend at my LGS and make my final decision. Seems like everyone (locally) has rail-less black models. I'd really like to get a stainless model with the rail incorporated, but if that makes it unreasonably priced, I'll probably pass on it and stick with black.
A railed model may make alot of holsters out of the question for you. Also, note that the Sig is a battle tested heavyweight. It's used by less US Forces, but my understanding is that the individual firearms are put through the same if not more rugged use then the M9.

#19 ·
I'm a fan of the Beretta 92. My big fat hands find the grip to be perfectly sized. If your wife can shoot it, well then, buying one really is a no brainer.

Also, I will second the SIG P226 recommendation. I own a West German 226 that is one of the most accurate and reliable pistols I own. There is no need to worry that it's not battle tested since the SEALs and British SAS have been carrying them since the 1980's.

#23 ·
Heavy and a little big for a carry gun (I rarely carry with it) but you said that is ok. A Taurus PT-99 was my second pistol and I had problems with my trigger finger getting pinched under the trigger when pulled all the way back but I think that was my lack of skill at the time since lately it does not happen. Great to shoot if you have medium size hands or bigger due to the double stack mag. I would not look to get one now with the 10 round capacity limit that NYS BS laws put on us. I would buy the Sig 226 if doing it all over again.

#25 ·
Since the Sig 226 seems to be coming up so much, how's pricing on the Beretta mags versus the Sig mags compare? Anywhere close, or crazy different?

#29 ·
every sig owner know that Mec-Gar mags are where its at. I think they are superior even to the Factory mags

#34 ·
I'm not looking for a small or light pistol, but I'm thinking about adding another 9mm to the cabinet to keep my G19 company. For a little more punch, I also have a 1911 and a G36 in the 45acp variety. I have (3) revolvers, which includes a .38spl snub nose which I'm pretty sure I'm going to get rid of.

With that being said, I'm leaning towards a 92 because of the reliability, weight (it'd be nice to have a less-snappy pistol for the wife to shoot) and availability of higher capacity mags, should we ever be able to use them again.

What say you, guys--any input??
I am carrying a 92 right now, it has been on my hip for so long I forget it is there. I believe there is a 92A1 out now which is an upgrade to the standard (but I am not sure what it upgrades). If I didn't live in NY I would get one to own, but since I do I only buy 1911s for the time being.

#40 ·
There seems to be a ton of surplus 92fs's out there right now. Can't go wrong with a used one. They're broken in and still run really well. Got a lightly used one for around $400 last year. Great, great gun. The only real issue I've had with mine is a self-induced one where I accidentally place the thumb of my right hand on the slide release during firing which prevents the slide lockback on the last round. If you're used to shooting an M&P or glock, you may also tend to grip the gun the way I do. It may take some concious re-adjusting to fix the problem. Even the el cheapo pro mags run well in this platform.

Beretta 92F Semi Auto Pistol, 9mm, 4.9" Barrel, Black Finish, G-VG, Used.

Can't go wrong with one of those!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.