New York Firearms Forum banner

Slide release or Rack it?

6K views 51 replies 43 participants last post by  Dieter122 
#1 ·
I only looked real quick, but didn't come across any threads that asked this question. If there is one, kindly disregard and please point me to the proper thread.

I have a family member that posted this on his facebook page. I thought it made for a good talking point. So, do you use the slide release or do you just rack the slide when reloading? In my limited time with pistols (still waiting on my permit) I've found that I like to use the slide lock, but will always rack it when reloading in a hurry. My thinking is, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. How about you?

Video Here
http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/slide-lock-reload-methods/

#2 ·
Rack it the slide release does not have the slide in the full rearward position therefore some of the spring energy will not be applied when you drop the slide from the slide lock position. Which may cause a failure to feed or go into battery malfunction.

#3 ·
Rack it the slide release does not have the slide in the full rearward position therefore some of the spring energy will not be applied when you drop the slide from the slide lock position. Which may cause a failure to feed or go into battery malfunction.
Some gun manufacturers recommend using the slide release as the guns are designed that way.

#5 ·
Generally, its taught all over the place to use the slide. Using the release requires fine motor skills that most people lose under extreme stress.... I.E. a shooting situation.

Me personally...my thumbs can't reach the slide release on many guns anyways, I have small hands.

Not doubtimg what you're saying StThomas but off hand do you know which mfg's recommend using the release?

#9 ·
Generally, its taught all over the place to use the slide. Using the release requires fine motor skills that most people lose under extreme stress.... I.E. a shooting situation.
This is of course true what you say , that slide racking is generally what is taught out there. I have mixed feelings on the whole "extreme stress" thing though and in some ways I think this is a limitation people might be almost convinced into or put on themselves. It's the same reasoning for the popularity of long DAO triggers that every company is putting out in recent years , and I personally feel that a shooter should not limit themselves by the capabilities of the gun but rather train themselves into trusting their own abilities and control. Maybe that sounds like 'armchair warrior' talk, but I don't intend it that way and I do have some personal experience in these matters of functioning under stress. I really do believe though that the mindset behind the reasoning of getting a product that protects someone from themselves, while possibly putting themselves at a disadvantage for that added saftey, is in a way a defeatist one. I feel like if you don't trust yourself implicitly with your tool, you probably wont perform with it to the best of your ability.

It sounds strange maybe, but I think ego is a huge part of success vs. fail. This applies to alot of things, shooting just one of them.

Me personally...my thumbs can't reach the slide release on many guns anyways, I have small hands.
Exact opposite for me. Huge hands with super long monkey-like thumbs. That might have something to do with my preference.

Not doubtimg what you're saying StThomas but off hand do you know which mfg's recommend using the release?
I'm not sure off hand what manufacturers suggest this but.. StThomas ! hehe . Sir, that man is no saint ! (just kidding ST)

#7 ·
Hex I have always been taught to rack the slide. 30 years with the Army and 15 years under my Father's teaching. I have dropped the slide with the slide stop and received a stern lecture because of it.

#11 ·
Well, the most important thing of all is obviously to do the right thing that works for you. If you're trained and proficient a certain way, no reason to change it. My point was only that there isn't really a 'right' answer that applies to everyone. Each method has it's potential advantages and faults.

#8 ·
slide lock's on most models are set up for right handed shooters, as a lefty i've found it's much easier to rack the slide than trying to manipulate a slide lock with my trigger finger, not to mention having to shift my grip on the gun to do so

#17 ·
I do both but I'm trying to get away from using the slide lock release. On my glock 34 it has a extended release and it is very comfortable and fast for me to just use my thumb while the pistol is canted, right after inserting the new mag. I've practiced reloading hundreds and hundreds of times with this. Now, the other day I decided I wanted to start shooting in the CDP class also in IDPA. So I broke out the Kimber custom and started practicing reloading with it. Using the same method as with the G 34, this didn't work so good. I was fumbling around trying to locate the release time after time. It was very inconsistent and awkward for me. I started using the front of the slide to pull back to release the slide lock and then it started to come together. Now I just need to train with the same method on both guns.

Just my opinion....
TK

#18 ·
I was taught to and always do slingshot the slide and I tend to agree with the fine motor control thing. I will say though that when my wife reloads her Shield she often has a problem like Hex brought up. If she's not careful to slingshot the snot out of it, something she has trouble with being a weaker handed person, it will not fully go into battery when the slide comes home. I've taught her to always tap the back of the slide to ensure it's fully in battery when she reloads. She also no longer carries that gun for that reason.

#19 ·
I'm a rack the slide guy. I've always been that way and I don't even think about using the slide stop. It's the way I started and have always been taught so it's a non-issue for me. Racking the slide is as normal to me as inserting a magazine, I don't think about it, I just do it. When I start a new shooter off I teach them to rack the slide. Slide stops are small and if you have any foreign substance on your hand they will be quite slippery. All this is just my opinion.

#20 ·
I have only one argument for using the slide release.
too often I've seen people "rack" the slide by pulling it back then easing it into battery. Too often this gentle approach leaves the firearm in a state where it will not function properly (my P95 is susceptible to this).
As was told to me, if you rack it, pull the slide back then let it go. Let the firearm do what it was designed to do, and it will function properly.

Remember, that slide is slamming back and forth far more violently when the round goes off than anything YOU can do to it.

Otherwise, I've heard and read that using the slide lock all the time, at least on large caliber semis, will eventually wear down the lock to where it may not function properly. I've not seen this personally.

#23 ·
I didn't see it mentioned but slide releases aren't all in the same place as each other.
All slides are in the same place and function the same way. So you can pick up a semiauto that you've never shot before and run it as if it was your own if you train racking the slide.

#25 ·
I always rack. All of my autos call it a slide stop or lock, not a release, so I only fumble around with the tiny lever when I open the slide. It's always tap-rack for me, both for loading and clearing a malfunction.

#26 ·
I practice BOTH. The XDm's are designed to be used either way. To save on wear on the slide release, I grab the slide when target shooting. When doing IDPA or other 'on the move' type shooting sports, I use the slide release as it saves 0.3 to 0.5 seconds per reload on my times. It IS faster to use the slide release IMHO.

My Father has worn out two Slide Releases on his M&P 9mm by over using the slide release during the last three years of competition. However his round count was over 20k rounds during that time frame. Purchase extra spare parts ahead of time and keep them in your range bag and storage at home. :)

#27 ·
Rack only. I dryfire and live fire several different guns in both one and two hand holds, strong and weak side. I like having one way to do things, and I also like to keep a consistent grip on my trigger hand which seems to shift around a bit even with a well positioned slide release.

#29 ·
Some I have had to rack while others the release is just fine. For me, I like the slide release. Its like butter with my S&W SD9VE - New clip in, nudge the release and off we go. To where as on my S&W 40 Shield its a pain. Wants to fight tooth and nail to use the release.

I have also had auto loaders with out slide releases. My Sterling 22 and 25 come to mind.

#32 ·
I rack the slide (or "sling-shot" it) on all of my guns. Glock's slide stop is just so small, Beretta Nano has no manual stop and my M&P's tend to auto forward when I put the magazine in. (If they don't auto forward, I rack it out of habit from shooting the other guns. Also my 40c's release is darn near impossible to press down for some reason.)

I should just rack the SIG like the rest, but I've been using its slide release because it's huge compared to the other guns and easy to mash down with my thumb. No need to hunt for it, it's just there. It's making me lazy.

#36 ·
YouTube had an interesting vid on this subject a while back....some manufacturers designate the lever as a "slide stop", others designate as "slide release". I agree with the poster who said go by what the manufacturer says. "slide stops" are not to be used as a "slide release". The "slide stop"'s purpose is to stop the slide. Period. Racking is always the best policy. 4 fingers over the top. A "slide release" lever can wear down at the critical point where metal meets metal, and malfunction. Not good. IMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.