Close

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By drsfmd
  • 1 Post By Jeff
  • 1 Post By whauburger

Thread: Are snares legal?

Major

Default Are snares legal?

I just came across a video on youtube of a guy setting snares for rabbits, I am curious if you can use snares legally in NY. I am guessing you need a trapping license. Anyone know for sure or actually used snares? Seems like one of the many things that looks fool proof and easy to succeed but in reality a lot harder to master.

Major
    M1sterM and jayk500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by drsfmd View Post
    What is this "Google" you speak of?
    The first rule of AR Club is you do not talk about AR Club!

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. ~ Ayn Rand

Captain

Snares are illegal in NY state, any trap that suspends the animal is illegal in NY state.
    Sumo magis ammo
    ​"The Second Amendment is not the right to shoot at deer. It's the right to shoot at the government if it is taken over by tyrants." -- Judge Andrew Napolitano
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees." -- Dolores Ibarruri

Major

I thank you for your wisdom.

Anyone ever use a snare? Actually catch anything?

If you don't have anything to contribute, don't bother posting.
    de17walt likes this.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner usmcveteran's Avatar

Snares are illegal per the DEC website. I have never used one so I dont know how well they work.

From what I have seen on t.v. lol snare placement is very important.

If usmcveteran had to go lookup the answer to the question on the DEC website why didn't the OP do the same before posting the question?

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner usmcveteran's Avatar

Here is the link as well Trapping Regulations - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Also as far as was stated earlier you can partially suspend an animal in a trap. The animal can't be fully suspended. Its also in link provided above.

Major

I could have very easily googled it and found a quick answer, in all honestly I just didn't feel like it.

My thought process was since I was already on this site logged in, i'd just ask and see if anyone had experience with them.....Maybe some older folks used to use them (if they ever were legal, I also don't really feel like googling if they ever were), or possibly someone who traps out of state or used to live out of state has used them.

Edit: I also read a lot of people mentioning them stashed in BOB's and with their survival gear, this sparked my curiosity that in theory it sounds simple, but probably isn't and people will yield poor results because they never tried using one.
    RayKnobs likes this.

Snares are not legal here. Lots places guys used them on fox and coyotes.

You also can not use a body gripping trap bigger than a 110 on land unless it is inside of a special enclosure or I think 3 feet off the ground.

I think both those laws are in place to prevent house pets from getting killed. I know if I was coon hunting and found my dog in a snare set or a haphazardly placed 330 I would be raging.

I think rabbit sets should be legal here though. They are small enough so you are likely to only get rabbits. A mink will hop right through it probably. They use them in the UK because getting a gun is such a hassle over there.

The artist formerly known as jhm8071 NirvanaFan's Avatar

Like others have said, placement is key. I've never done it, but I have looked into how to make/tie them and where/how to place them for squirrels and rabbit.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." - Thomas Jefferson

Major

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    If you don't have anything to contribute, don't bother posting.
    Did I not provide him with an answer to his question? I don't know of a more authoritative source for this information than DEC.

Did I not provide him with an answer to his question? I don't know of a more authoritative source for this information than DEC.

I thought that was hilarious and would LOVE to know how you did that!

(fingers crossed that you get the set-up!)

Major

Quote Originally Posted by jayk500 View Post
    I thought that was hilarious and would LOVE to know how you did that!

(fingers crossed that you get the set-up!)
    Let me google that for you

Go to Let me google that for you . Type in what you want, then hit search. In addition to giving you search results, it gives you a link like the one I posted. Not sure how it actually works

Major

snares are not good for trapping due to the wide range of animals that you will encounter coming into them
    body traps are better because they are tuned to exclude animals that are too big/ small for your trap

case in point a rabbit snare can break a deers leg
    but a trap for a rabbit sized animal probably wont

SNARES ARE AWESOME FOR
    survival purposes because of the same reason they are not good for traping
    they are very indiscriminate, same with dead falls

since all these are illegal the only way to test is to go somewhere where it is legal to test it

for squirrel we were told to use stick with some bait on a 4-5 foot log placed against a tree
    the log should have 5-7 small snares built onto it so when squirrel passes it has great chance of going through it
    for rabbits your supposed to place many small snares along a path that they travel, rabbits are not too finicky about changes in enviroment so if you move a log or two to funnel down large path it helps your odds.... again these are both illegal and should only be used in extreme situations such as lost while camping, or lost in the adks while hunting

i had a freind who did get lost in adks about 10 years ago and he had a 870 with him loaded with small game shot
    in the 4 days he was lost he never got any food thanks to his gun, but snared 3 squirrel and survived well (walked out 15 miles north of where he started)

he used boot lace and fishing string for snares and got fed

Private

Cable restraints (snares) are legal in PA now. A class must be taken in order to use them and more info may be found on the PA Game Commission web site.

There's a video on youtube on making a squirrel snare, really easy to set up and effective. It might not be legal to use, but in a survival situation all you would need is a knife and some heavy string the rest could be found in the woods. When we get some dry weather out here in Seattle I'm going to make this set up and see how effective it really is. There's a bunch of gray's that need to be thined out, It will give the pellet gun a rest.

snares are not legal in NY... But I still practice making them.. be a good skill to have if your ever in a survival situation
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Quote Originally Posted by whauburger View Post
    I could have very easily googled it and found a quick answer, in all honestly I just didn't feel like it.

My thought process was since I was already on this site logged in, i'd just ask and see if anyone had experience with them.....Maybe some older folks used to use them (if they ever were legal, I also don't really feel like googling if they ever were), or possibly someone who traps out of state or used to live out of state has used them.

Edit: I also read a lot of people mentioning them stashed in BOB's and with their survival gear, this sparked my curiosity that in theory it sounds simple, but probably isn't and people will yield poor results because they never tried using one.

They are pretty basic really... placement is key.. Since we in NY cant practice using them to catch animals I watch youtube videos about them a lot.. that way if I ever do have to use them I will have a basic understanding of where to set them up and how to get animals to run into them...
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Sergeant

Snares are not legal in the peoples republic but a few trappers are trying to change that! A snare will not stop a deer or dog for that matter unless you have it anchored to a tree or some object that they cant break away from.If you snare a deer or dog and you are anchored it a small branch they will just pull the anchor and get loose buy themselves,no harm done! I wish people would stop spreading bad info because if done right snares are great!