Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By c1mtcase

Thread: Goiters / growths on deer?

Default Goiters / growths on deer?

I understand deer get infected lacerations that heal up in strange ways - probably because they heal so fast. But I shot a doe last season that had a very wierd looking growth on her side that was the size of a tennis ball. I did not take her home, and I felt bad, but i was too frightened to feed her to my family.
    My brother in law also had a similar experience this same season, for the the first time, and he's been hunting ten years longer than I have. He didn't take the deer home either (also a doe). The growth was similar, but smaller, and located on top of her hind. He "excised" it a bit, and said it oozed, and smelled terrible. He actually puked because of it.

Has anyone else been seeing more of these dsorts of things ion deer, or was this a freak coincidence of an anomoly? When I look up related topics, I get photos of deer found dead covered in tumours in Pennsylvania where they are fracking.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SterlingRex View Post
    in Pennsylvania where they are fracking.
    how could events taking place 7000 > 15,000 feet underground affect Deer ...??
    Last edited by Embree Smith; 03-07-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Embree Smith View Post
    how could events taking place 700 > 15,000 feet underground affect Deer ...??
    Earthquakes probably scare the sh#t out of them
    Embree Smith likes this.

Probably Deer fibromas... if so the meat is fine

..."Cutaneous fibromas (warts) are caused by a naturally occurring virus of the deer’s skin. The virus that causes these unsightly warts in deer is believed to be transmitted through biting insects and/or direct contact with damaged skin. Once the virus enters the skin, warts begin to form. As the warts increase in size, the skin surrounding them is typically hairless and grayish in color. The number of warts on an infected animal can vary from one to several hundred, they can sometimes clump, and can in some cases end up covering much of the deer’s body."
    Cogito, Ergo Armatum Sum

Best to call DEC and let them tell you what they want to do. Sometimes they'll come look at it and give you a new tag and remove the tainted animal if they deem it to be something of risk.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    SCOPE Member

Quote Originally Posted by Embree Smith View Post
    how could events taking place 7000 > 15,000 feet underground affect Deer ...??
    watch the documentary Gasland by Josh Fox

Major

If it oozed and stunk it's an abscess (the pus is often described as looking like dip). Not uncommon, but they are indeed gross. Cut around all of the infection and give yourself a good margin of "clean" meat too. The rest will be just fine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood View Post
    watch the documentary Gasland by Josh Fox
    I live in GasLand
    turn on the faucet, methane comes out for the first minute
    you know your in the country, when you can get the faucet to burn ...
    neighbor has a gas well .. 250 psi at the well head

About twenty years ago a friend shot a doe in Windsor that had a growth on the bottom of it's chest just behind the front legs, the growth was about the size of an average orange. We thought it might of got shot with an arrow and caused the tumor, It didn't smell. We gutted the deer and kept the growth, we gave the deer away to another friend. We showed him the growth and he was fine with it. We cut a good sized area around the tumor and through the scrape into a dunmpster.
    If the tumor was full of puss or stunk the whole deer would of been handed over to the DEC in Kirkwood. I'm sure he would of been given another doe tag.

Can't blame this on fracking as I saw several deer with the same growths near Hortonville, NY back in the mid 80's. It was gross and there is no way I would eat the meat from any animal that had something like that.