Close

Thread: Fall turkey....

Default Fall turkey....

I'm pumped and that much closer to going this year! I got my tags today which I didn't get to do this past spring!!! Anyone else get their tags yet?
    God, Family, and the pursuit of armed self-defense!

Default Re: Fall turkey....

I got all my tags for this coming season last month. Spring turkey season gets all the glory but fall is just pure fun.
    Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm

Private

Default Re: Fall turkey....

This will be my 1st time going for Turkey....I'm pumped and ready to go.

Private

You know, I've been spring turkey hunting for years, but I've never fall hunted. Don't know as I know the particulars of fall turkey hunting!

Isn't fall turkey open right now?
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Yea got all my tags about 3-4 weeks now, how happy is everyone about the price increase? $98 for the SuperSportsMen w/doe ! Give me a break ! Thank you Mr. OB!
    Last edited by concrete-redneck; 10-02-2009 at 11:57 PM.
    SECOND AMENDMENT A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed. GOD BLESS AMERICA

Default Price increase

Yeah isn't that just lovely? Pay $88.00 and then have to buy a ticket for the doe lottery. When I saw that, I decided it was time to buy the lifetime license. I spent $600.00 last month, and that is supposed to lock me in for doe permits and sportsman license tags for life. I'll still have to cough up the $21.00 for the archery stamp, but that's better than $100 each year.

I may not be in NY in five to seven years, but this will always allow me to come home to hunt. My friend in Virginia pays $30 or so for six tags (I think) and you can go back and buy as many tags as you want, just have to pay the money, and he tells me that they are ridiculously inexpensive. They may not have comparable body size, but they hunting is just as fun, and if you have to get two gut piles to fill the freezer, then so be it.
    Born in a desert, raised in a lion's den...

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." Ronald Reagan, July 31, 1968

Fall turkey is great fun in my opinion. You just have to hunt them a little different. A neighbor of mine used to have an English pointer that would run turkeys like crazy. Whenever we'd get the shotguns out she'd start shaking she was so excited.

To hunt them we'd pick out a patch of land we thought they might be in, then we'd drop the dog and the handler on one side of it and set up 2-6 gunners on the other side of it. Just like a deer drive basically except with a dog too. The handler and dog would push through and chase them to us. Most of the time we'd set up along the edge of a field. When the turkeys pop out in the field they would take off and start flying and we would have to swing on them like a pheasant.

Once the turkey would take off, the dog would run back to the spot she broke up the flock and follow a different one until that one flew away. If they were staying on the ground she would keep chasing them and keep moving them so we could try to loop around them and get in front of them. Almost like rabbit hunting with a beagle.

All in all good fun. Not a lot of sitting and waiting around. Each drive would take like a half hour and if there was nothing we'd pick up and go to a different spot. Not exactly the traditional way to hunt turkey but it worked for us and was good fun. Sadly the dog passed away a few years ago now so we don't run them like that anymore.

Smart move on the lifetime buy, because that is going up in price also, my buddies & myself are going to try and free up some cash before it goes up and apply! Good Hunting !
    Last edited by concrete-redneck; 10-03-2009 at 12:12 PM.
    SECOND AMENDMENT A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed. GOD BLESS AMERICA