Close

Private

Default Hello from Brooklyn -- various queries

Hi people. I just signed up on this forum here. I have recently moved to Brooklyn from Arizona, and I have been trying to figure out how to navigate the laws around here. I have a Sig P226 that is sitting with a buddy in Arizona, and I am in the process of applying for a premises handgun and also a premises shotgun/rifle permit.

I have a few questions that I hope you people might be able to help me with.

1) Is it possible to get a NY-legal AK-47? If not, I gather from reading posts that it is possible to build a NY-legal AR-15. Is there somewhere one can just be purchased, because I don't have that kind of time to deal with building one from parts.

2) I understand that a NY-legal rifle has capacity limitations. However, for investment purposes, I would like to start collecting pre-ban larger cap. magazines. (Pre-ban large cap magazines are legal in NY, but post-ban are not, correct?) I would imagine that connecting a pre-ban mag from my collection to the NY-legal AR-15 would be illegal, but is it legal to own an AR-15 and keep it in the same premise as my magazine collection?

3) Anyone have a good recommendation for where I can buy a quality gun safe in the city, but not too expensive?

Thanks!

Default Re: Hello from Brooklyn -- various queries

Good luck. When you ask about NY gun laws....the state and the city are two totally different things. In most of New York state, the laws are restrictive and a pain in the ass. In New York City, they're downright impossible. As such, I can usually figure out what NYS laws are and give people advice on them. But when it comes to NYC....no clue, other than they're worse than upstate. I think you may find that most people on this site are similar. Though I could be wrong.

Never the less. Welcome!
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    SCOPE Member

OK. Why on earth would anyone move from Arizona to Brooklyn? I moved out of Brooklyn 44 years ago and never, ever looked back. If you can move out of the 5 bourghs of New York City, you will find the gun laws 100 times better.

Just a suggestion.
    Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition (Frank Loesser) Vinnie John 3:16
    http://firearmpop.com/

Welcome.

I can't help with NYC laws. They're different than here in upstate like already stated.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Welcome to the site!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

CoFounder of NYFirearms | Combat Focus Shooting Instructor | ADSI Member | NRA Instructor & Life Member | PDN Contributor

InkedUpGunFighter.com