New York Firearms Forum banner

Private Party Sale

10K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Jeff 
#1 ·
I have looked, but can't find a clear answer - In NY, can you do a private party sale without needing an FFL for RIFLES? I'm looking to buy a carbine from a friend (we both also happen to have pistol licenses).

Either way - what is needed? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#3 ·
It is actually in the penal law.

All that is needed is for you to believe the person is legally allowed to own said firearms and has no disqualifying factors.

You give them payment, they give you rifle, or vice versa.

you may or may not want a bill of sale. that is a whole separate discussion. it is NOT necessary.

#6 ·
It is lawful for NY residents to purchase or obtain
rifles or shotguns in a contiguous state and to receive and
transport said rifle and shotguns into the state, provided
the person is otherwise eligible to possess a rifle or shotgun
under NY law.

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf
You can't buy a gun from a private party out of state without sending it to an FFL in your home state.

#16 ·
OK, i know this is a very old thread... but with the Saratoga show coming up, can anyone point me to recent info on this?

How far away from a gun show do you need to go for a FTF? I thought that if the deal is struck at the gun show, you can't buy it FTF without a FFL. If you touch a gun, and buy that later outside the show NOT though an FFL, you could both be seriously f-ed... I can't find where i saw this posted... :(

#17 ·
OK, i know this is a very old thread... but with the Saratoga show coming up, can anyone point me to recent info on this?

How far away from a gun show do you need to go for a FTF? I thought that if the deal is struck at the gun show, you can't buy it FTF without a FFL. If you touch a gun, and buy that later outside the show NOT though an FFL, you could both be seriously f-ed... I can't find where i saw this posted... :(
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/laws-politics/13420-private-party-sale.html#post76750

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.