Make previously registered AR compliant?
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By deeuubee

Thread: Make previously registered AR compliant?

Private

Default Make previously registered AR compliant?

Has anyone heard of a person modifying a previously registered AR to remove the evil features and un-registering or transferring it?

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
    TMC

I had that question my self and called the State police SAFE ACT question line 1- 855-529-4867. Since the AW re-registration will start 2018 ( Yes all previously registered AW from the start of the Safe Act need to be re-registered like pistols see section 2 paragraph 2 registration requirements https://www.scribd.com/doc/174855115...ct-Field-Guide )
    I asked if I removed every feature on my registered AW can I remove it from being registered as an AW since it would be a fixed mag neutered Buck Rogers looking ugly gun with NO politically incorrect add ons. The person on the line said Quote: Since the weapons serial number is in the database as an assault weapon it will be there until the weapon is turned in,sold or recorded destroyed. There is no way to remove it. Apparently they assume if you can turn the registered firearm into a Safe Act legal firearm to get it off the database,you can also revert it BACK to an assault weapon go figure that .
    Last edited by TMC; 04-18-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Private

Thanks for the info. It's pretty stupid, but what do you expect.

5. Remove Advertisements
    NYFirearms.com
    Advertisements

I do not believe that is correct. If you have a registered M1 Carbine you can remove the bayonet lug and it is no longer an AW and no longer subject to registration.
    I think I saw a form for that someplace.

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak12 View Post
    Has anyone heard of a person modifying a previously registered AR to remove the evil features and un-registering or transferring it?
    Yes...
    Dispose the registered "assault weapon" to an FFL. Submit the form showing that the previously registered "assault weapon" has been legally disposed of. Have the FFL make it legal and then have it transferred back to yourself.

TMC

Heuy novel approach and expensive unless the FFL is a good friend but in the case of an AR15 you would be better off stripping the registered lower and remove the upper and selling the stripped lower to a FFL use that money purchase a new lower install the parts and reinstall the upper assembly and keep your mouth shut or do the Buck Rogers neutering thing. From my conversation with the above mentioned SP the lower serial number is registered as an AW irregardless of it being sold and repurposed as he said the serial number is registered AW forever . Now as anything the information is as good as the person telling it and the SP are as in the dark as we are about all this. Do you personally know of anyone doing that with a FFL? I would love to hear about it because I have 4 Aws I would love to get off the books and I would like to give my local FFL another FFL name and number to confirm that doing what you suggest is possible and legal. Please feel free to drop me a IM Thanks

Private

With the price of lowers at an all time low, why would you aggravate yourself.

Remove the offending parts, buy a stripped lower and replace the AW one. Sell the old one. Done!

The lower is registered as an AW.

There is nothing that an FFL can do to a lower to make it a non-AW other than sell it to someone out of state for you.
    TMC likes this.

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    I have 4 Aws I would love to get off the books
    </sigh>