Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: .458 SOCOM magazine capacity?

Exclamation .458 SOCOM magazine capacity?

Does anyone know the word on .458 SOCOM magazines? .458 SOCOM was meant to use unmodified 30rnd .223/5.56 AR-15 magazines and can hold 10 cartridges in each. Does this run afoul of NY laws on magazine capacity if the magazine is clearly marked for use with .458 SOCOM and is only used as such?

I've seen some guys in Cali who bought 30 round mags out of state and replaced the baseplates with a custom engraved ones that read, ".458 SOCOM 10 rounds". Apparently that's good enough for California as long as they don't use them in .223 rifles. Think that would fly in NY?

huh.... well i sure am puzzled

Well if you modify the magazine to hold 10 rounds then I cannot see it being illegal. This is a very good question.

James

IMO, you are asking for trouble. If it's a post ban 223/5/56 30-round mag, then it's illegal in NYS. You don't even have to own an AR-15, the possession of the mag is enough.

Just because you can only load 10 458 SOCOM rounds in it, doesn't change things.

Again, JMHO.

I too was wondering this. I would say if its clearly marked .458 socom and you are using it solely for that then its ok. If you happen to put the "wrong" ammo in it then its on you. I would think a postban would need to be constructed outside the state with a 458 floorplate to be completely legal.
    One can take a 10 round 40 cal Glock mag and put in 14 rounds of 9mm. The lips barely hold it and there is no way one could use it like that but it does hold excess of 10 rounds.

Or just buy some of the THOUSANDS of $15 preban mags out there and dont worry about a thing.
    Last edited by Cavalry; 08-16-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cavalry View Post
    or just buy some of the thousands of $15 preban mags out there and dont worry about a thing.
    ^ this!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalry View Post
    Or just buy some of the THOUSANDS of $15 preban mags out there and dont worry about a thing.
    Also I meant to ask this: can you use pre-ban magazines in a newer rifle? I've heard from more than one person that you can only use them legally in pre-ban rifles. :S

Quote Originally Posted by Saganaki View Post
    Also I meant to ask this: can you use pre-ban magazines in a newer rifle? I've heard from more than one person that you can only use them legally in pre-ban rifles. :S
    Pre ban mags in a post ban gun are totally legit, contrary to what some may tell you.
    atTheWheels likes this.

If your using them in a 458 socom gun they would be hard pressed tom make anything stick if you were to do something stupid and et arrested while you had them on you.
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner57 View Post
    Pre ban mags in a post ban gun are totally legit, contrary to what some may tell you.
    Good to know I can use proper 20-rounders when I get that RRA I've been eying. Thanks.

Private

.458 socom stamped 7 round and 10 round floorplates are available on eBay & gunbroker And they look great. Does anyone know if the .458 socom rifle that RRA sells that comes with a 10 round magazine (AKA usgi 30 rd ) if its stamped .458 socom ?

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawviking View Post
    .458 socom stamped 7 round and 10 round floorplates are available on eBay & gunbroker And they look great. Does anyone know if the .458 socom rifle that RRA sells that comes with a 10 round magazine (AKA usgi 30 rd ) if its stamped .458 socom ?
    Doesn't matter. It's not complaint. The law forbids magazines that have the capacity of holding more than 10 rounds. Even with a .458 SOCOM label, you can load .223 in it. Unless you can make it NOT function with .223, you'd be in violation and if you did, what would be the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Diss View Post
    Doesn't matter. It's not complaint. The law forbids magazines that have the capacity of holding more than 10 rounds. Even with a .458 SOCOM label, you can load .223 in it. Unless you can make it NOT function with .223, you'd be in violation and if you did, what would be the point?
    ummm this is completely wrong how many rounds of 9mm can you fit in your 10 round 45 magazine?

How many 1" shells can you fit in your shotguns? (and they would function to boot)

How many rounds of 22 can you fit in your 10 round .223 magazine?

Show me in the law where it says the magazine has to function or not function with said ammo?
    Last edited by Prominus; 08-21-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prominus View Post
    ummm this is completely wrong how many rounds of 9mm can you fit in your 10 round 45 magazine?

How many 1" shells can you fit in your shotguns? (and they would function to boot)

Show me in the law where it says the magazine has to function or not function with said ammo?

Actually, Ben Diss is correct on this. The shotgun argument is valid, but clearly the writers of SAFE didn't think of or know about shorter shotshells. Just like they didn't think about exempting cops from the law, and an assload of other obvious things left out.

It's def a slippery slope and it all boils down to intent I suppose. This topic was covered a few months ago and is a way, in theory, to get around the law but if you do not own a .458 Socom rifle or upper, your opening yourself a whole bag trouble.

Btw, .458 SoCom is a buffalo slaying round. It's like trying to throw a bowling ball like a baseball. Whatever it hits in the short distance it travels out of barrel (considering you are not firing it like a mortar to extend range as it was first fired) will never be the same.

I agree with Ben here. I was considering a .458 Socom a couple of months ago and decided against it because as the SAFE act is currently written, even with a floor plate that is marked ".458 Socom" that specific magazine can still EFFECTIVELY hold 30 rounds of .223/.556.

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon22 View Post
    I agree with Ben here. I was considering a .458 Socom a couple of months ago and decided against it because as the SAFE act is currently written, even with a floor plate that is marked ".458 Socom" that specific magazine can still EFFECTIVELY hold 30 rounds of .223/.556.
    Well if that is how we are going to interpret it then we are all in trouble with our shotguns. This is no different than being able to load more than 10 rounds of 1" shotshells.

I guess since everyone is scared of an AR magazine though the shotgun thing is okay but this is not.

Get real.

Logan, Utah. (Moving my business out of NY)

My dogs bury everything in the house so I would not be surprised one day they show up with a preban one.
    Can my dogs be arrested for that? They are smarter than most of the goons in government but that doesn't mean they are rational beings.
    Buell056 likes this.
    Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke

I agree and like I said I love the idea but one must be careful in these times of tyrants and treachery. I mean, have your new .458 Socom mag loaded with .223/5.56 whether it's 7 or 30 rounds in it. Not that we are promoting illegal activity of any fashion just saying some ammo fits multiple size magazines and be sure to be careful not to leave or use mags that are labeled one caliber for another unless Russia, China, or Zombies invade. Then all bets are off.

Well if that is how we are going to interpret it then we are all in trouble with our shotguns. This is no different than being able to load more than 10 rounds of 1" shotshells.

I guess since everyone is scared of an AR magazine though the shotgun thing is okay but this is not.

Get real.

Get real.
    Maybe.... But in the case of the shotgun example, it can be argued that the intended use was for 2 3/4" and 3" shells and you are intentionally going around the law by loading 1" shells. I agree it is certainly a slippery slope and the shotgun example you brought up is def valid.

I'd like to add that its not illegal to poses magazines for guns or uppers you do not yet own either.
    Buell056 and Prominus like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon22 View Post
    Maybe.... But in the case of the shotgun example, it can be argued that the intended use was for 2 3/4" and 3" shells and you are intentionally going around the law by loading 1" shells. I agree it is certainly a slippery slope and the shotgun example you brought up is def valid.
    Well if I was to get 458 socom magazines I would be intentionally going around nothing. I would have 10 round magazines.

The only thing slippery is our *******s as we decide everything in regards to this law is okay unless it has to do with an AR-15. IE: Glueing in a compliant stock so it cannot be removed but I see no talk of anyone glueing in their 10/22 stocks. Or how a device to make it so you need to remove the upper to remove the magazine is not okay but any other fixed magazine gun is okay. Or how a 458 10 round socom magazine would not be legal yet other 10 round magazines are legal when they hold 10 round of other calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by flushermgti View Post
    I'd like to add that its not illegal to poses magazines for guns or uppers you do not yet own either.
    Last edited by Prominus; 08-21-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    Buell056 likes this.

Well if I was to get 458 socom magazines I would be intentionally going around nothing. I would have 10 round magazines.

The only thing slippery is our *******s as we decide everything in regards to this law is okay unless it has to do with an AR-15. IE: Glueing in a compliant stock so it cannot be removed but I see no talk of anyone glueing in their 10/22 stocks. Or how a device to make it so you need to remove the upper to remove the magazine is not okay but any other fixed magazine gun is okay. Or how a 458 10 round socom magazine would not be legal yet other 10 round magazines are legal when they hold 10 round of other calibers.
    I think that what you are missing here is the fact that there is no such thing as a .458 magazine. The magazine used in the .458 is a 30 round .556 magazine. This is why it is a slippery slope. Is it a gray area? Sure. Marking it as .458 doesn't make it legal. What is interesting though is that over on calguns, ar15 and many other forums guys are having this same discussion and many people are on the fence about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalry View Post
    What a difference a couple years makes.
    NRA Life, NYSRPA SCOPE

The elephant in the room is that you really just want to load 5.56 in it, and pretend it's for your .458 SOCOM ammo (which I have never seen, hand-loading?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast