Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: herkimer county permits from new judge

As an update, I have been to see the Sheriff and as far as I know I am just waiting on the judge to sign the permit...but with the holidays I'm not expecting it until the second or third week of January. Will probably miss all the after Christmas sales LOL!

Talked to Tamika when I added another gun. She said that Judge Crandall does grant unrestricted permits, but probably not initially. She said something like he wants to see you can handle the sportsman's restriction for a year or two; however, she indicated that he looks favorably on people who also got more training. I took that to mean he would grant unrestricted in a shorter period of time. This was, of course, before all the recent lunacy in OR and CT.

Private

Sorry to revive an older thread but I just registered and this caught my eye. Very good news Dozer. Does anyone know if summer residents can apply in Herkimer? This sounds like a way better option for me than Westchester County. I have army training and would love to find a way to get a CC but wouldn't hold my breath down here.

I'm not an authority, but I'd imagine you'd need to apply in the county where you maintain your primary residence.

Oh, also I heard from Tamika this past Friday that she received my file from the sheriff and it has been sent to the judge for signing. I expect to know the result in one or two weeks...
    Dozer likes this.
    NRA Member / NYSRPA Member

So many guns...so little time!

http://youtube/user/fsfazekas

Sergeant

Angry

Question for the whole State CCWP's Holders.? Just suppose,? Now.? You had a NON Restricted permit for the last 10yrs or so.?And now they are going to be reviewed & renewed every 5 yrs.? By the NYS Troopers Dept.? Who is to say that they may say & tell you,? That as of this Review,? We feel that you no longer need to have a NON- RESTRICTED CCWP.? And we are down grading,? Your Permit to a RESTRICTED Permit.? They will have that decision,? Over the County Judge that Issued you your NON-RESTRICTED PERMIT.? In the first place.? An Interesting Scenario.? Is it not.?

Quote Originally Posted by BULLDOG View Post
    Question for the whole State CCWP's Holders.? Just suppose,? Now.? You had a NON Restricted permit for the last 10yrs or so.?And now they are going to be reviewed & renewed every 5 yrs.? By the NYS Troopers Dept.? Who is to say that they may say & tell you,? That as of this Review,? We feel that you no longer need to have a NON- RESTRICTED CCWP.? And we are down grading,? Your Permit to a RESTRICTED Permit.? They will have that decision,? Over the County Judge that Issued you your NON-RESTRICTED PERMIT.? In the first place.? An Interesting Scenario.? Is it not.?
    Sorry I did not reply when you first posted this. I went to one of the unSAFE talks here in Herkimer county that Assemblyman Marc Butler set up. This question came up and what we were told was that the NYSP are only going to deal with the RENEWAL...they are not a permit licensing agency. The only one that should be able to change your permit is the county. Of course setting up the communications between each county and NYSP to figure out when permits expire and when someone has paid for their renewal is going to be a BIG MESS! In this case I will define BIG MESS as another unfunded state IT (Information Tchnology) project that will end up costing three times the initial estimated cost. And of course you and I will end up picking up the tab for that though our taxes just like the $36M that unSAFE wants for the development of the "assault weapon" registration data base and the ammo purchase data base...that'll be $72M or more by the time the it's finished...if it's ever successfully implemented...

Private

Can someone please help me? I'm an old man, had my concealed permit since gas was .80 a gallon. Can't seem to find a straight answer without calling the sheriff (I mean, who asks a barber if they need a haircut) If I carry my weapon on me, do I have to stay in the issuing county of Herkimer, and carry it UNLOADED, or can it be loaded, concealed OR unconcealed. These are very important questions as I don't know if there is a law in this nanny state against open carry or not. It will be difficult carrying around bullets in my pocket. Thanks for any help you can shed on these issues.

Once you have a permit to carry from any county it is good state wide (except NYC). Carry loaded and concealed. Our judge in Herkimer says that you can carry open (unconcealed) but most people here say that is illegal and the judge doesn't know the law. So to be safe, carry loaded (no more than seven rounds) and concealed and stay out of NYC and you should be legal. However, I am not an expert and can not be held liable if I got it wrong. Also, I have found Sheriff Christopher Farber of Herkimer county to be a very pro-2A sheriff and I'm sure he or his staff would give you correct information if you contacted them. Also you could contact the Herkimer county Pistol Permit Clerk, Tamika Evans.

I hope this helps!

Sounds like solid advice XD9; loaded, concealed, and stay out of NYC. Some other places to stay out of too; Federal goverment buildings like a post office, schools, and the courts.
    XD9 SC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzelnut View Post
    Sounds like solid advice XD9; loaded, concealed, and stay out of NYC. Some other places to stay out of too; Federal goverment buildings like a post office, schools, and the courts.

Good catch! ^this too...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12