Close

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By bpipe95
  • 1 Post By meketrefe
  • 2 Post By Darthgamer138
  • 5 Post By Bill

Thread: is a muzzle brake legal in ny?

Private

Exclamation is a muzzle brake legal in ny?

is a muzzle brake legal in ny? sorry i did search but i didnt find a clear answer. want one for my sks but need it on the up n up. tkx

Yup
    “Disconnect and self destruct one bullet at a time
    What's your rush, now? Everyone will have his day to die." -APC

This Too Shall Pass

Si Señor.
    If you have an autoloader with detacheable magazine then you need to pin that brake. Otherwise no need.

BANNED

To add to above, on post ban autoloader with detachable mag, pinned and welded brake is good but just make sure its not a flash suppressor. From what I understand there is little difference between the two except the brake generally has a closed-off end (with hole for projectile, of course). Believe both are legal in NY on pre ban.

Private

Thanks guys i want it for my sks which has a fixed 10 rnd mag. Now i cant use it if i have detachable mags?

You can't use detachable mags on *most* sks's with out a 922r conversion anyway.
    meketrefe likes this.
    Everything posted by this user is the opinion of said user and nothing more.
    "I am not planning on slowing down, I am just going to learn to shoot better." - Ben Stoeger
    Guess what, you've been tread on. Now what the hell are you going to do about it?

Good point if you have collection, replicas or prebans are excluded from the non-sense communist laws.
    KSB likes this.

No need to pin a brake if say its a semi auto g43 or the like. If you have a pistol grip AND a detachable mag on a semi auto you need to pin a brake yes. But again if no pistol grip and all it is , is a traditional stocked semi auto w detachable mag then you can still have a threaded bbl

Private

Hi Everyone...

Does anyone know if it's legal in NYC? I am purchasing a long range hunting rifle and it comes with a muzzle break... It has a McMillan A5 stock with a Surgeon 1581XL repeater action... Would it make a difference if I pinned of welded the muzzle break?

Corporal

Aren't ALL SKS Pre-Ban ???? I didn't think they made New ones ! I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong !!!

If you are trying to purchase the brake I think you are, don't get it.

John Masen Chinese SKS Muzzle Brake

If its the one in the link, I wouldn't get it.I bought this brake and had to ship it back. For a few reasons.

The first problem I encountered was driving the front sight pin out. Even with some decent tools, vices, and presses at my disposal I could not get it off. Didn't even budge....you could always drill it out and replace it with the pin they give you though.

The second problem I had was that the product is supposed to fit snug on your barrel. I have 3 SKS rifles around the house between my family and it would only fit snug on one of them. The rest had a very loose fit to it. Even if you drove the pin into it that they give you, it would still wobble a considerable amount.

Finally....it wasn't of the best quality. Its made of cheap Chinese pot metal.

Quote Originally Posted by M1a_scoutguy View Post
    Aren't ALL SKS Pre-Ban ???? I didn't think they made New ones ! I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong !!!
    It's real sketchy knowing if all SKS are pre-ban as there is no real way to prove date on Norinco's. Same thing goes for the Mak-90, although most were imported before 9/94. It would be nearly impossible to prove they arent in court. So doubt it would even be an issue legally. Not saying some hot-shot leo won't try though

Quote Originally Posted by jrivera1 View Post
    Hi Everyone...

Does anyone know if it's legal in NYC? I am purchasing a long range hunting rifle and it comes with a muzzle break... It has a McMillan A5 stock with a Surgeon 1581XL repeater action... Would it make a difference if I pinned of welded the muzzle break?

My Mossberg 930 has it. No problem with NYC...Yet.

Corporal

SKS's were last legally imported in 1989. MAK90's were last legally imported up until the AWB of 1994.

The burden of proof otherwise is up to the state. Simple as that. No reason to get so nervous. When was the last time you heard of a court case, let alone an individual even getting in trouble for have a piece of anything illegal on an SKS?

Quote Originally Posted by MarksmanTim View Post
    SKS's were last legally imported in 1989. MAK90's were last legally imported up until the AWB of 1994.

The burden of proof otherwise is up to the state. Simple as that. No reason to get so nervous. When was the last time you heard of a court case, let alone an individual even getting in trouble for have a piece of anything illegal on an SKS?
    This is a state in which the size of your soda can get you in trouble, take no chances.
    ajrocket and thegatman like this.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution. Be Skeptical.

​SEI Advanced Open Water Nitrox Diver. Dives- ​59. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Private

is there certain kinds of muzzle brakes allowed my gunsmith tell me it cant be ported all way around just on sides not sure if this is correct or not.

This is a very old thread, laws have changed to avoid confusion I'm closing this. Feel free to start a new thread
    RPD 46