Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Holdover

Thread: Now they want us to have $1M liability insurance...

Default Now they want us to have $1M liability insurance...

FYI... Bill in NY Would Require All Gun Owners to Maintain $1 Million Liability Insurance Policy

Just got this off Facebook. Start writing your reps now...

Sheesh!
    NRA Member / NYSRPA Member

So many guns...so little time!

http://youtube/user/fsfazekas

Nice way to get a registry without calling it that...
    "We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

That will never fly

Captain

What a disgrace, Talk about pile on. They all have to get voted out some how. I wish I was a lawyer or smart enough to start impeachment proceeding on all of them for not working on upholding the constitution as they were sworn to uphold

FYI - legislation introduced by: Felix Ortiz (D-Brooklyn) bill is S2353. Let's get it shot down...
    NRA Member / NYSRPA Member

So many guns...so little time!

http://youtube/user/fsfazekas

Brought to you by the stop and frisk crowd.

Popcorn please.
    Who will guard us from our guardians?

Colonel

I guess that means we would have to pay to keep our rights. Like Mr Felix Ortiz;s career, I dont see this going anywhere
    Brooklyn Dem Felix Ortiz wants to ban use of salt in New York restaurants

Brooklyn Dem Felix Ortiz wants to ban use of salt in New York restaurants - NY Daily News

Jeeeeeeez its assault weapon Felix, not a salt weapon!!

Last edited by Holdover; 02-18-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    collector48 and jmac00 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Holdover View Post
    I guess that means we would have to pay to keep our rights. Like Mr Felix Ortiz;s career, I dont see this going anywhere
    Brooklyn Dem Felix Ortiz wants to ban use of salt in New York restaurants

Brooklyn Dem Felix Ortiz wants to ban use of salt in New York restaurants - NY Daily News

Jeeeeeeez its assault weapon Felix, not a salt weapon!!

I read somewhere that this would cost $1600-2000 per year per person. I guess only the elite get to exercise their second amendment rights.
    NRA Life of Duty
    NYSRPA
    GOA
    SCOPE
    North American Hunting Club

Private

Cannot even believe this one. So what are the likelihood of this passing?

Sponsered by NY city scum, there's a shocker
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

Nice way to confiscate arms from those that cannot afford the insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by collector48 View Post
    That will never fly
    Don't count on it! It's illegal to have a vehicle registered without proof of financial responsibility - thus, there is precedence. The primary difference is that driving is a privilege and gun ownership is a right (question is whether or not a court would ultimately recognize the difference)...
    NRA Certified Instructor and Life Member --- Member NYSRPA & SCOPE --- IDPA Safety Officer & Sharpshooter --- Former Capt, USAF
    Support and Defend the US Constitution --- Honor the Second Amendment!

I understand that they aren't (yet) brazen enough to try for an outright ban, and so they will instead attempt to regulate gun ownership into oblivion.
    And I understand that this is yet another form at registration (which will inevitably lead to confiscation).

HOWEVER

Do they REALLY think that they can convince the general public to see this as a safety measure?
    Do they REALLY think that the average citizen is stupid enough to believe that victims of violent crimes could actually receive compensation from their muggers/rapists/burglars/drug dealers/thugs/bank robbers' firearm insurance companies?

Those are rhetorical questions.
    It makes me sick to think about the answers.
    NRA, SCOPE Erie County

Quote Originally Posted by Frank716 View Post
    I understand that they aren't (yet) brazen enough to try for an outright ban, and so they will instead attempt to regulate gun ownership into oblivion.
    And I understand that this is yet another form at registration (which will inevitably lead to confiscation).

HOWEVER

Do they REALLY think that they can convince the general public to see this as a safety measure?
    Do they REALLY think that the average citizen is stupid enough to believe that victims of violent crimes could actually receive compensation from their muggers/rapists/burglars/drug dealers/thugs/bank robbers' firearm insurance companies?

Those are rhetorical questions.
    It makes me sick to think about the answers.
    the sheep might believe it. Just as they believe criminals will register their guns. I'm sure all the gang bangers will line up for the insurance coverage.....
    NRA Life of Duty
    NYSRPA
    GOA
    SCOPE
    North American Hunting Club

There's no doubt the sheep buy this one. Last night I had a long drawn out discussion with several people looking to be "safe". Insurance is a great idea to rally the gun grabbers around. This idea was called sensible...

Sent this email to some key senate members...

Just a quick email to let you know that firearm ownership is a RIGHT not a PRIVILEGE. Driving a car is a privilege. A cell phone is a privilege. Legal ownership and possession of a firearm is a right protected (NOT GIVEN) to us by the Constitution of the United States. Obviously some of you need a reminder and were not paying attention in history class. I will be sending a mass email similar to this to the entire state senate and assembly periodically to remind you all of this. The insane assault on our rights has gone too far for too long. This state prides itself on its "progressiveness" and it's defense of civil rights, unless those are the civil rights of a law abiding tax paying gun owner. Hope you are all looking forward to election day, I know we are...

and speaking of morons who believe that it would be a safety measure, WHAM 1180 out by me has a great sound bit they use in one of their ads of some caller claiming more background checks will stop criminals from going to PURCHASE guns... so don't count on those people being shocked at us being forced to buy insurance...

Sergeant

Not that this will surprise anyone here, but they can kiss my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by cmallow View Post
    There's no doubt the sheep buy this one. Last night I had a long drawn out discussion with several people looking to be "safe". Insurance is a great idea to rally the gun grabbers around. This idea was called sensible...

I could be mistaken, but I'm under the impression that liability insurance for firearms doesn't actually exist.
    Unless you're an instructor or own your own private range, I don't think you can just call up Geico or Allstate and have them add firearm liability insurance to your policy.

It's one of those things that "sounds sensible" if you're not really listening.

Just like with the magazine capacity limit.
    Average sheep have no idea that 7-round magazines DO NOT EXIST for most semi-automatic firearms. They hear the number 7 and think "Gee whiz. That number is small...but it's greater than 0, so it must be a fair compromise", without realizing that 7-rounders only exist for a few types of firearms.

Liability insurance SOUNDS like a fair compromise to those who don't realize that such policies don't actually exist.
    NRA, SCOPE Erie County

The Place with the highest property tax in the country

It is estimated that simple liability insurance for $1 million in coverage for gun owners would cost between $1600-2000 annually. That additional financial burden to own a gun will be prohibitively expensive for many NY State citizens. Gun ownership will no longer be an option with the additional cost from obtaining liability insurance.
    this would be a de facto gun ban.

On top of that I already have liability insurance. If you have home owners insurance, you have liability insurance

I'll buy their "insurance" right after they guarantee me criminals will have to carry the same insurance.

notfornothing, but why didn't these genus's put this BS in the Safe Act
    COURAGE doesn't always roar
    Sometimes it's the quite voice at the end of the day
    saying
    I will try again tomorrow

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by XD9 SC View Post
    FYI - legislation introduced by: Felix Ortiz (D-Brooklyn) bill is S2353. Let's get it shot down...
    This bill is actually A03908. For some reason the S2353 is mentioned within the Summary and I don't know why they are connected.

Bills
    NRA : SCOPE : SAF : NYSRPA

Corporal

Them - "You have to buy liability insurance to own a gun."

Me - "No."

Them - "Give us your guns then."

Me - "No."

Them - "We're going to take them from you."

Me - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ."

Because screw them, that's why.

Captain

the Commerce clause of the Constitution says the federal government can't make you buy anything.

Unfortunately, johnnie roberts of the Supremes ignored this and allowed Obama to require us to purchase health insurance. As a result, we now have this garbage on insurance for guns in NY and it is liekly to be upheld if passed.

It is also a registry that will be used for confiscation.

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner usmcveteran's Avatar

The federal government cant make you buy things and Obamacare is a tax which is why it is legal.

Has anybody heard back from their legislators about this?

They MAKE us buy insurance to drive a car... And they'll try to make us buy insurance to own a gun.

BTW, the insurance they propose isn't what you think... It's a backdoor to them trying to prosecute you if your gun is stolen and then used in a crime! You see, if you didn't own the gun in the first place, then it couldn't have been stolen or otherwise used in whatever crime may be committed with it. It's no different than suing you because someone stole your car and ran someone down (which is how this would have to be argued).

Ultimately, I think these battles are going to get very ugly going forward - the anti-gunners in almost every state are coming out with bills faster than they can be voted upon. There are now so many, in so many states, that we are in serious jeopardy of losing our rights as a nation...
    NRA Certified Instructor and Life Member --- Member NYSRPA & SCOPE --- IDPA Safety Officer & Sharpshooter --- Former Capt, USAF
    Support and Defend the US Constitution --- Honor the Second Amendment!