Close

Private

Default Ulster County CCW

I just got hold of what I hope is a nasty rumor.
    The new signing Judge here in Kingston NY is now refusing to issue ANY carry permits.
    Premise, or target only.
    Please let this not be true. If anyone in Ulster County knows what is going on, I would really appreciate it.

I dropped my application in April, still waiting for fingerprints to get back from FBI. Im in Limbo.

Default Re: Ulster County CCW

I found this online. Doesn't really answer your question but interesting info anyway.

As of June, 2009, we have been advised that the Ulster County Judge(s) are requiring completion of the Federation sponsored Basic Pistol Safety Class and a hearing in front of the judge before issuance of the Upstate NY Pistol Permit License. Final determination of YOUR eligibility rests with the Licensing Officer who issues the pistol permit. The Licensing Officer in Ulster County is the Judge.
    http://fscuc.com/#backlog
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Private

Yes Dark, The new requirements came out after i submitted my application.
    I took the course anyway. Waiting on my interview with the Judge.
    I am just concerned with the rumor of no carry anymore here in Ulster County.

Private

Just got the letter to schedule my interview with the Ulster County judge for CCW. I will be asking for an unrestricted license, although I originally put "hunting and target shooting" on my application. I didn't understand the difference when I first applied. If anyone has advice on how to persuade the judge, whether or not the judge is gun friendly or not, or any other advice I'm all ears. Thanks.

Private

Welcome to the ever worsening Empire State. Instead of moving forward we are moving backwards. As you probably are aware of now, The Heller case victory pertains on the Federal level. It does not apply on a state level, yet, in our district.. The ninth district, which includes California, just recently, now recognizes the 2nd Amendment on a "state" level now

Private

Default Ulster County Judges - Upcoming Elections

Judges deterimine who gets what when it comes to pistol permits, so it is important that CCW folks get involved in electing good judges - those that support the 2nd amendment and RESPONSIBLE gun owners. In light of that I wanted to share some correspondence I just had with the winner of the Independent Primary for an Ulster County Judge seat, just held on 9/15 (I hope you voted) - Don Williams. Enjoy.

Note to "the office of" Don Williams:

Hi,

Congratulations on your primary win - I voted for Don Williams. Can you please tell me what his stance is on the 2nd Amendment and, more specifically, his views on CCW pistol permits in Ulster County. Right now it is almost impossible to get an unrestricted permit, and there are a lot of responsible folks like me looking at this with regard to the upcoming election. Will this policy be the same or different if Don Williams is elected? If we currently have restricted permits would he consider taking restrictions off?

Thank you.

Jay

My note was forwarded to Don Williams. This is his reply.

Jay,

The code of judicial conduct which applies to all judicial candidates prohibit me from making any promises re: specific rulings if I am elected to the position. However, I have always prided myself on my honesty, so I will attempt to answer your legitimate question without violating any ethical restrictions.

As I feel about all constitutional rights that we enjoy, I fully support the 2nd amendment. I will examine each case individually and make determinations based upon each applicants background and special circumstances which apply to their case. I will not make any decisions based upon any agenda or policy. I will not use the judicial position as a vehicle for legislation since I respect the separation of powers and will abide by the law of the land.

I hope this answers your question satisfactorily. It is the best that I can do under the rules that must be followed.

Don Williams

I don't think we can ask for more than that from our judges. Get out the word, and please remember to vote.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayRoe
    I will examine each case individually and make determinations based upon each applicants background and special circumstances which apply to their case.
    I read that as "you have to have a good reason for needing an unrestricted permit."

I understand ethical restrictions but that to me is a typical politician cop-out answer. If he had said "I fully support the right of law abiding citizens to defend themselves" it would be more convincing without promising anything. What he said sounds like what a judge would say in the counties that restrict all permits unless you have a circumstance that would make you more likely to need to defend yourself than the average citizen.

NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Sergeant

I live in Ulster county bought a new handgun last week went up to the jail went to the pistol permit department game them the receipt for the handgun ,she handed me my coupon and i went and picked up my pistol.So far its the same to me, a new permit i cant say...