Close

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree384Likes

Thread: NYS Police Departments Revoking Pistol Permits because of Anti-Anxiety Meds

Default NYS Police Departments Revoking Pistol Permits because of Anti-Anxiety Meds

This is hot off the press. I have first-hand knowledge that local NYS police departments are revoking pistol permits of those who are "blown-in" by the medical community for being prescribed anti-anxiety medications (for those who are in therapy for anxiety or depression), under the gray shroud of the UNSAFE Act. This is happening now folks, and it is likely to get worse.

EVERYONE needs to be aware of this, for the sake of keeping their pistol permit in NYS. Please spread this information around - Facebook, Twitter, by every means possible. We need to get the word out as quickly as possible.

If anyone faces such an ordeal with their pistol permit, or you know anyone in the future who faces this issue, you are urged to email info@tresmondlaw.com. It doesn't matter where you are located in NY.

By all means use this thread to discuss - this is something that was mentioned as a potential major issue with the new laws signed by Cuomo, and it's becoming reality.
    Last edited by ChrisWNY; 04-05-2013 at 11:51 AM.
    Mark NY likes this.
    NYS/FL CCW
    --------------------------------------
    Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of those who threaten to destroy it.

Thanks for a heads up.
    S.A.F.E ACT

S.tealing A.rms F.rom E.veryone. A.ndrew C.uomo's T.reachery

This is only going to prevent people that really need help or just need a small dose to not get help and then make them worse.
    oatka, Smurfette, timboy and 6 others like this.

The medical community will pay a heavy price for this kind of BS, they've doing irreparable harm to Doctor/Patient confidentiality and people who actually need help will no longer seek it. I won't pretend like this is any surprise, the writing has been on the wall for some time, but I'd hoped the medical community wouldn't be complicit in the agenda. This country is truly in deep trouble.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."

Mark Twain

This'll make for an interesting medical privacy vs Safe Act conflict.

You don't have to be crazy to live in NY but it helps.
    cor_man257 likes this.
    ======================================
    SCOPE/NRA/NYSRPA/AARP
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL
    Save the environment, recycle; learn to reload.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    The medical community will pay a heavy price for this kind of BS, they've doing irreparable harm to Doctor/Patient confidentiality and people who actually need help will no longer seek it. I won't pretend like this is any surprise, the writing has been on the wall for some time, but I'd hoped the medical community wouldn't be complicit in the agenda. This country is truly in deep trouble.
    This was totally predicted.
    ======================================
    SCOPE/NRA/NYSRPA/AARP
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    Support your local FFL
    Save the environment, recycle; learn to reload.

So whats the full scoop here? Are Dr's reporting to the NYSP? or are they getting the info from dispensaries? or what
    You: Is my firearm concealed if I wear it under my coat? Me: You're an idiot.

As far as how the information is being distributed from the medical practitioners to the NYS authorities, I hope to have more details on that soon. I'll know more shortly. This is related to an individual who has retained the Tresmond firm for legal representation in this matter. It happened very recently.
    NYS/FL CCW

Corporal

To reiterate. I think we all saw this coming. Please post any links to news / media for this.

My Dr wanted to prescribe an anti-anxiety medication to me to help me gain weight. This is for post cancer treatment. I refused and she asked me why so I told her that with the new gun laws they will be confiscating guns from those on these types of drugs. She told me I was crazy and I just left with saying, look into the new NY Safe Act and read it.
    If you have a link to a story on this I would love to see it. I'll send it to her in an email!!!!!!!
    meketrefe, wizrd, Runner99 and 1 others like this.
    NRA - SCOPE - SAF
    http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7112&dateline=1358384  203

I've never been skydiving, but I have zoomed-in on Google Earth really really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep02tj View Post
    To reiterate. I think we all saw this coming. Please post any links to news / media for this.
    Excellent suggestion - let's use this thread to also distribute out any other information (links, articles, etc.) related to pistol permit revocation/gun confiscation where anti-anxiety, therapy, or *any* mental health issue was a factor.
    NYS/FL CCW

I kill deer... and I like it Ragnar Danneskjold's Avatar

I'm about as far away from being depressed as one can get but developed a flying anxiety a while back. I've considered getting prescribed an antianxiety med just for flying but have held off for this exact reason. I need to do a little research.
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Private

ChrisWNY, I think a lawyer needs to ask the Gov or State AG if they have checked to see how many State Police Officers are on or have been on ant
    anxiety medication. I expect this type of medication is pretty common among police. And if so have they removed there firearm and terminated employment?

Exactly..... What if you had a car accident, they run your blood for alcohol while you lay unconscious in hospital. You have your sidearm on you.... You pop for anxiety mess and bam..... You firearms end up in a melting pot and you in local rag sheet paper. Not far off from what could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Danneskjold View Post
    I'm about as far away from being depressed as one can get but developed a flying anxiety a while back. I've considered getting prescribed an antianxiety med just for flying but have held off for this exact reason. I need to do a little research.

www.tresmondlaw.com MaximillianTresmond's Avatar

Sadly, what Chris reported is true.

The cases are coming in.

The police departments also want to confiscate the magazines, claiming "They have no need for a magazine anymore".

I'll fill everyone in on the details later this afternoon. If you have an urgent problem, please email info@tresmondlaw.com
    Suby, ruger10/22 and AC Orange like this.

www.tresmondlaw.com MaximillianTresmond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    ChrisWNY, I think a lawyer needs to ask the Gov or State AG if they have checked to see how many State Police Officers are on or have been on ant
    anxiety medication. I expect this type of medication is pretty common among police. And if so have they removed there firearm and terminated employment?
    This is a FOIL request which the State would be loathe to grant.

This - without question - would result in an Article 78 proceeding. Believe me, there are plenty of tactics the government can use to delay FOIL records.

Email sent
    S.A.F.E ACT

S.tealing A.rms F.rom E.veryone. A.ndrew C.uomo's T.reachery

this is a HIPPA violation, I hope any one what this happens to persues civil action
    jayk500 and Hardrada like this.
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

Quote Originally Posted by Evild View Post
    this is a HIPPA violation, I hope any one what this happens to persues civil action
    Exactly what my wife said, who is a practicing P.A. in Amherst and Buffalo. It'll be interesting in how this all plays out. It's another chance to stick a thorn in Cuomo's side...
    NYS/FL CCW

Someone help me understand this;
    A Dr. or Psychologist sees a patient, decides that patient needs to be perscribed Anti Anxiety drugs and then releases that patient to the streets... Same Dr or Pschologist reports this to authorities...
    Authorities decide or are directed (more than likely) to refuse pistol permits.

Someone has decided that the patient is a threat and cannot possibly own/carry a handgun but the Physician or Pschologist released them into society?

I'm no lawyer but sure sounds like someone is at fault here. Does this not sound like grounds for a law suit? Malpractice? If I'm that dangerous how could the physician release me?

Oh wait... maybe, just maybe this is back door Gun control at its finest.

Please feel free to correct me where I am wrong.

Private

This is a question but can we have a list of 2A friendly practitioners that may be members of NY Firearms?
    BIG flash, jsado and spat like this.

Some meds are use to treat multi illness, I bet most of the Assembly & senate also governor are on meds that would stop them from owning guns
    Last edited by Huntscreek; 04-05-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    S.C.O.P.E, GOA. NRA, American Defender & Protector of the Constitution.
    ONE MAN'S DREAM TO RULE HAS BECOME MANY AMERICAN'S NIGHTMARE !

Captain

The doctors are clearly abusing this. My Dr said he would only report people if they show serious signs of a threat to themselves or society.

all we have to do is sit back and wait. This is going to BLOW UP in their faces.
    meketrefe, Buck1365 and Bigfoot like this.

what a shame. people who truly need help will no longer seek it for fear of being labelled and having their firearms taken from them. I truly hope that everyone who gets abused by the system and has had their permits taken and firearms confiscated not only get their permits/firearms back but that they win a civil suit against the state too.
    Rico, 2wheeler, timboy and 5 others like this.
    SCOPENY-NRA/NYSRPA-SAF
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor/RSO
    "Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry."

Beidh lá eile ag an bPaorach!

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast